Top 3 Hair Transplant Mistakes How To Avoid Them?

• Administrators

What would you guys say are the top 3 mistakes that hair transplant patients make? How would you avoid them? Everyone's list may be different, so i'm interested in hearing the communities input.

Top 3 Hair Transplant Mistakes How To Avoid Them

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Only looking at clinics local to you.

Caring more about cost than predictable results.  This one is tricky as sometimes you just can’t afford a particular clinic, but I am more referring to a guy who has “enough” money yet takes a risk with lesser doctor to save only like $5k.

Thinking a hair transplant is not a big deal, and that if you get a “bad result” it can be easily fixed.  Guys need to know you can really mess yourself up with a bad doctor, potentially forever...

• Like 2

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Snowboard said:

Only looking at clinics local to you.

Caring more about cost than predictable results.  This one is tricky as sometimes you just can’t afford a particular clinic, but I am more referring to a guy who has “enough” money yet takes a risk with lesser doctor to save only like $5k.

Thinking a hair transplant is not a big deal, and that if you get a “bad result” it can be easily fixed.  Guys need to know you can really mess yourself up with a bad doctor, potentially forever...

The last one is especially important. Thinking a hair transplant is no big deal is not good. It’s a major surgery. A bad one will ruin your life. Getting it done right the first time will always be better than having to get bad work fixed.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I made the mistake even twice, the first time going to a pseudo-clinic, where they overhaversted my donor area and implanted hairline doubles, and the second time going to a hair mill  (there is a difference between the two), where I played Russian roulette, and lost.  Of course, if I knew beforehand, adding the two procedures, in economic terms, I could have gone to a good and ethical surgeon, but the "money" factor is useless to deny it, for many it is fundamental, but it is wrong, for this reason, one should  spending a lot of time on forums like HRN (which I think is unique anyway), then making the right decision.

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

The first mistake is making an emotionally based decision. This is only natural (and true in all aspects of life) as hair loss is incredibly devastating, especially as it often sadly commences at the very point of your life where you are young (late teens/early twenties). At this stage in life, you are not biologically wired to make any real executive decisions. The only remedy that I can think of is to educate yourself on forums like this.

The second mistake is having unrealistic expectations such as a lower hairline than required that will look unnatural in years to come. It's very hard for someone in their late teens/early twenties to imagine life at 30, much less 40 or 50 and beyond. You need to build up trust with a great surgeon 'over time' who has excellent communication skills. In fact excellent communication is the most important factor that I look for in a surgeon.

The third mistake in my book is actually getting a hair transplant when it may not even be what you require. Many people who have posted on this forum (and in private DM) wishing for a hair transplant, after reading the advice that this forum provides, begin to look at other options. They may begin to realise what a hair transplant can do and what it can't do and that they could possibly shave their head, have SMP, postpone surgery, etc. Again, doing your research can arm you with the knowledge that a hair transplant is not a panacea for life. It can change your life for the better but it won't solve life's problems.

I've have made 'ALL' of these three mistakes (and more) when it comes to having surgery for more hair. However in life I believe the only mistake you can make is by not learning from one (make that three at least 😉)!

• Like 6

• Administrators
12 hours ago, makehairgreatagain said:

I'd add in having unrealistic/realistic expectations. Very important to go to someone reputable who will shoot you straight on what can/can't be achieved and not just take your money and give you lip service.

Excellent point, expectations are huge.

9 hours ago, Egy said:

I made the mistake even twice, the first time going to a pseudo-clinic, where they overhaversted my donor area and implanted hairline doubles, and the second time going to a hair mill  (there is a difference between the two), where I played Russian roulette, and lost.  Of course, if I knew beforehand, adding the two procedures, in economic terms, I could have gone to a good and ethical surgeon, but the "money" factor is useless to deny it, for many it is fundamental, but it is wrong, for this reason, one should  spending a lot of time on forums like HRN (which I think is unique anyway), then making the right decision.

Money is a factor, but see if you would’ve saved up you could’ve gone to an affordable quality clinic like Bicer, Eugenix, HDC, even De Freitas who is 2.5 per graft.

There’s a saying going cheap in the beginning comes out expensive in the end. I hope things turn out well for you. Now you are fully aware that hair mills are hit and miss. 

View my thread

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

The first mistake is making an emotionally based decision. This is only natural (and true in all aspects of life) as hair loss is incredibly devastating, especially as it often sadly commences at the very point of your life where you are young (late teens/early twenties). At this stage in life, you are not biologically wired to make any real executive decisions. The only remedy that I can think of is to educate yourself on forums like this.

The second mistake is having unrealistic expectations such as a lower hairline than required that will look unnatural in years to come. It's very hard for someone in their late teens/early twenties to imagine life at 30, much less 40 or 50 and beyond. You need to build up trust with a great surgeon 'over time' who has excellent communication skills. In fact excellent communication is the most important factor that I look for in a surgeon.

The third mistake in my book is actually getting a hair transplant when it may not even be what you require. Many people who have posted on this forum (and in private DM) wishing for a hair transplant, after reading the advice that this forum provides, begin to look at other options. They may begin to realise what a hair transplant can do and what it can't do and that they could possibly shave their head, have SMP, postpone surgery, etc. Again, doing your research can arm you with the knowledge that a hair transplant is not a panacea for life. It can change your life for the better but it won't solve life's problems.

I've have made 'ALL' of these three mistakes (and more) when it comes to having surgery for more hair. However in life I believe the only mistake you can make is by not learning from one (make that three at least 😉)!

Absolutely great post, I think you made excellent points. A surgeon/clinic with excellent communication is crucial!

View my thread

I wish money wasn’t important but it is I can’t afford some of these US clinics unless I robbed a bank. Thanks to this place though I dodged a bullet going to a place like hair of Istanbul. From what I gathered theres some affordable options if you know what to look for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Money is a factor, but see if you would’ve saved up you could’ve gone to an affordable quality clinic like Bicer, Eugenix, HDC, even De Freitas who is 2.5 per graft.

There’s a saying going cheap in the beginning comes out expensive in the end. I hope things turn out well for you. Now you are fully aware that hair mills are hit and miss. 

If I have to be honest, I was also in contact with Dr. Bicęr, before I was attracted by the lower cost of Cinik (wrongly) and I remember that her consultant, told me that the beard and chest follicles do not have particularly cycles.  long.

Edited by Egy
  • Like 1

The biggest mistake would be seeking a ht based on cost/distance as opposed to affordable (different entirely to cheap) and a clinic/Dr which suits your individual needs. 
How many times do we see “what about this random name in whatever country” or “best cheapest option in Turkey please” 

With Clinics such as Dr Bicer offering affordable yet still doing really good work people have no reason to make the mistake/risk of going to the hair mills/Bosley or poor clinics.

Here in the Uk the same applies, people make the mistake of going to clinics thinking the cost alone must mean they are a quality option. Where as in my view Dr Arshad is one of the best options and he’s very affordable by Uk standards.

Bottom line is these days you can choose better/affordable without making the mistake of going too cheap, and regretting it after when you pay even more for your repair job. 

• Like 3

• Valued Contributor
13 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

The biggest mistake would be seeking a ht based on cost/distance as opposed to affordable (different entirely to cheap) and a clinic/Dr which suits your individual needs. 
How many times do we see “what about this random name in whatever country” or “best cheapest option in Turkey please” 

With Clinics such as Dr Bicer offering affordable yet still doing really good work people have no reason to make the mistake/risk of going to the hair mills/Bosley or poor clinics.

Here in the Uk the same applies, people make the mistake of going to clinics thinking the cost alone must mean they are a quality option. Where as in my view Dr Arshad is one of the best options and he’s very affordable by Uk standards.

Bottom line is these days you can choose better/affordable without making the mistake of going too cheap, and regretting it after when you pay even more for your repair job. 

Spot on John. You have nailed it! 👍

• Like 1

@JohnAC71you're right, that's why you should spend more time on forums like HRN before (not after) making a decision on where to have a transplant, of course, now I would definitely not go back to an "all inclusive" clinic  ”, Where the surgeon looks at you for more or less 5 minutes and traces the line of your hair, dismissing you with a smile and nothing more.  I would rather not do the transplant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Egy said:

@JohnAC71you're right, that's why you should spend more time on forums like HRN before (not after) making a decision on where to have a transplant, of course, now I would definitely not go back to an "all inclusive" clinic  ”, Where the surgeon looks at you for more or less 5 minutes and traces the line of your hair, dismissing you with a smile and nothing more.  I would rather not do the transplant.

Yes talking of mistakes, not doing your research would also be another... unfortunately what tends to happen only to often is people arrive on the forum when it’s too late ! Look at the recent spate of poor results being posted as a example of this. 
Yes we can guide them to a better option for future, but a lot of the time the mistake has cost them their valuable donor area and/or caused scarring. Or the typical multi grafts in the hairline. 
So many mistakes can be avoided by taking time to research the best option which gives you the best chance of a good result. Nothing is guaranteed but you can certainly drastically reduce the known risks to having a hair transplant. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Egy said:

Yes, unfortunately, most guys only find us afterwards. I’ve been trying to find a way to reach these guys before getting it done. I guess just continue to make YouTube videos, Instagram live, etc. There have been some shocking cases posted recently, people going to dentists. 

• Like 3

View my thread