Is it safe/healthy to use gel everyday post HT and beyond?

Hey. Much of my transplant hair is unnaturally curly and rigid (it sticks straight up). I have accepted this, in part because my hair still looks really good when I put gel in it. In fact-HT or not- one of my favorite hairstyles is a classic gelled Don Draper side part. 

My question is are there any negative consequences for my hair from styling it with gel or other product everyday? Could I just do this forever? I do wash my hair out every night on days I have gel in it. 

Its only been 6 months since my last HT, so my question is really two-fold

1) Can putting gel in daily impede or hurt progress of new transplant hairs that are still settling in?

2) Irrespective of a hair transplant or not, is there anything bad about putting gel in every day? 

Thanks.  

Don_Draper_Hair_1024x1024.jpg

18 minutes ago, qui bono said:

2) You could get accused of being a smooth-talking alcoholic womaniser who cheats on their wife

haha true....but seriously gel is fine to use everyday? I read that the alcohol in gel can dry out the hair, but that its not a problem so long as you wash it regularly?

• Administrators

Yes it’s safe, gel though stay away from gel.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@qui bono thanks. yea seems gel is ok to use daily/till the end of time as long as I wash it. 

I don't remember what the FU per cm is. I want to say the doc told me 50 per cm, but I don't remember. The density actually is pretty good, its just the hair is un-tameable and its curly whereas my native front hair is naturally straight. 

It could be human/doctor error, but my donor region hair actually does get slightly curly at length. So perhaps transplanting this hair just made it curly on steroids. 

I've definitely thought about getting this transplant curly hair removed and/or revised, but if this is indeed naturally curly hair and not human error, then any revision would just produce curly hair again. My donor is also incredibly thick, not sure if that impacted the texture. 

I'm not completely confident in this theory either - but I've been told a hair cycle can be anywhere from 3-7 years, so there is a chance this curly hair will naturally straighten as the years go by. 

But regardless, I am in no mood to get another HT to potentially correct it. It would be my 4th HT and I don't have it in me to deal with the stress and drama of another surgery. And again, even if I went to a world-class surgeon to correct, if the curly-ness is indeed natural, who knows if the corrective surgery would produce the same results. 

So I have accepted the gel route, even if it makes me come off as a boozy womanizer haha 

Don't use gel. That's something we used in the 90's. It's alcohol based and hardens as it dries leaving no way to restyle through the day. Today's best options are pomades. Come in two types -water based and oil based. Experiment with both. Best on the market that I've found is Reuzel 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

14 minutes ago, BDK081522 said:

Don't use gel. That's something we used in the 90's. It's alcohol based and hardens as it dries leaving no way to restyle through the day. Today's best options are pomades. Come in two types -water based and oil based. Experiment with both. Best on the market that I've found is Reuzel 

Second that, I personally like the Reuzel pink and green

• Like 1

Correct. No product would effect survival of grafts or overall hair heal. 

• Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts