Finasteride and having kids, a very sad article

Raymond92

This is a pretty tragic story, the poster has my sympathies. 

I would only posit that perhaps from week 13 and onwards, perhaps some improper handling/hand washing occurred that may have increased this slight risk. 

Also, unprotected sexual contact while taking finasteride during the pregnancy may have increased the risk as well.

https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/finasteride/

Does taking finasteride increase the chance of birth defects?

Every pregnancy starts out with a 3-5% chance of having a birth defect. This is called the background risk. Experimental animal studies on pregnancy exposure to finasteride have reported that large doses might cause the sex organs in males to develop improperly. There are no human studies that have researched if finasteride use in pregnancy might cause birth defects. Based on animal research, there has been a concern for birth defects of sex organs in male babies if exposure happened when the sex organs are developing (8 to 12 weeks of pregnancy). Finasteride is not recommended for use in pregnancy.

Could taking finasteride cause other pregnancy complications? 

Experimental animal studies suggested that finasteride exposure in pregnancy might affect testicular descent (which typically happens on its own in most males soon after birth), might cause preterm birth, and might affect memory in some exposed offspring. There are no human scientific studies on the use of finasteride in pregnancy.

Edited by asterix0

1 hour ago, Raymond92 said:

hello, I just read this article, which is undoubtedly very tragic. What do you think of this article?

BS. The story sounds like it was written by one of those guys that takes tests or writes papers for money for college kids. All neatly laid out to quash rebuttals, "I checked, "I read, "To be extra safe, etc. But its the ending that really gives it away. 

Who says 'fair enough' when their supposed wife and deformed child leave the next day? And refers to himself  "All because I was a fuckwit"?  After outlining all the careful consulting with doctors, reading up on medical sources and literature, stopping the drug to conceive, being careful about not letting his wife handle it. 

To all reading this, there's a vocal minority out there that are fanatically against finasteride and they produce manipulative material like this to get into your head.

-------------------

Once I told my partner about this connection, it was all over. She moved out the following day and I haven't seen my son since. Fair enough too, I have exposed him to this horrific drug and caused these terrible birth defects. He will require two orchidopexy operations and the creation of a scrotum from skin grafts. He will be at a higher risk of testicular cancer his whole life and have abnormal looking genitals. All because I was a fuckwit who didn't stop taking Finasteride when my partner was pregnant.

Edited by ciaus

• Administrators

Finasteride does not transmit through semen. So, I don’t see how birth defects was the result of finasteride. Unless, she touched the medication with her hand, and even that is unlikely.  Correlation doesn’t equal causation. Poor guy may be racking his brain as to why his child came out deformed, and naturally he gravitated towards medication. It’s probably genetic.

They have fetal genetic tests that can determine the possibility of deformities. I’m sure he would’ve seen it there.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Some info:

Undescended testicles are a common childhood condition where a boy's testicles are not in their usual place in the scrotum.

It's estimated about 1 in every 25 boys are born with undescended testicles.

In most cases no treatment is necessary, as the testicles will usually move down into the scrotum naturally during the first 3 to 6 months of life. 

But around 1 in 100 boys has testicles that stay undescended unless treated.

The medical term for having 1 or 2 undescended testicles is unilateral or bilateral cryptorchidism.

So it’s very unfortunate but in no way uncommon for it to happen. Cannot see any link to the use of Fin. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Melvin, could you provide any links or further information related to your statement that Finasteride does not transmit through semen? Just today my dermatologist told me that pregnant women should not get in contact “in any way” with semen while their partner is on Finasteride… Since we are currently trying for another baby, he refused to renew my prescription for Proscar. 

I have had 2 healthy (grateful) baby boys while I was on finasteride. I made sure the medication was never near my wife and was always encased so there was no direct contact ever. A lot of this has to do with genetics and my doctors and wife's OBGYN never mentioned to stop use when I disclosed I was on that medication. 

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html