Dr. Parungao in Chicago Bosley

Hi, does anyone know or have any experiences with Dr. Parungao with Bosley Chicago? His results photos look good, reviews online are good, but I'm not seeing any discussions with him. I'm 25 years old, I had a virtual consultation with him and he suggest 800-1200 grafts max for some temple transplants (I don't have a family history of MPB) but my hairline is starting to mature aggressively on the right side. He also recommended me to take propecia/rogaine since I'm young.

I can currently get an appointment to get the procedure done quickly before school, or I can wait a year and go with Konoir/Nadimi in Chicago. What would you guys recommend? I'm impatient and kinda just want it now. I think Bosley is about $10 a graft so the cost is gonna be ball park $10k. 

• Sad 1

Nope 👎 never consider any Bosley ! The bottom of the barrel for hts. Definitely wait the year and go with Konior or Nadimi. Light years away from Bosley. 
Impatient or not you will regret choosing a sub par clinic.

Or check out the forums recommended list:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 5

Hi thanks, on her instagram there is a patient that is very similar to my situation and his transplant looks great. It's what inspired me in the first place. But I'm weighing between doing a procedure this summer or next summer. 

On the topic of Bosley, why is it necessarily bad? Shouldn't it be up to individual doctors? Or does Bosley have bad technicians? 

On the forum we will always say not to look at insta/Facebook/Yelp/trustpilot and similar reviews. None of which can be fully trusted.

Just look on the forum and research “Bosley” and then look for Nadimi and Konior results. Bosley to me is a zero Konior/Nadimi would be a ten.

Take out the risk factor and go to one of the best clinics worldwide. Or keep researching from the forums recommended list. 

Edited by JohnAC71

Bosley is more like a hair mill and it’s likely the Dr will be doing little more that drawing on a hairline and that’s it. 
So more than 1 patient per day and very low quality work. They have never ever put out good work and are never likely too. You can read so many horror stories on the forum. 
where as Konior and Nadimi are one patient per day and fully involved in every step. Konior has a world class reputation and had been consistent for 25 years ! 
Nadimi is fast becoming well revered also. Just research all the results on the forum and you will see. 

1 minute ago, whatthehair said:

Thank you so much! I haven't dropped a deposit for Parungao and I should have done way more research. I just assumed all MDs are equal 

Absolutely not. Price does not mean a good hair transplant either. Please do research as much as possible. You dodged a bullet. You can now give yourself the best chance of a quality result. Konior or Nadimi are infinitely better choices. 
But anyone on the recommended list is a proven entity. Check it out and just spend time looking at real patient results. Find some similar to yourself.

Consult with a few at least, can be done virtually thorough the forum.

• Thanks 1

Here is what I found easily from that Dr you mentioned:

sam990

Hair Transplant

5 months ago

Do Your Search

He does not conduct the procedure and let clinicians do the hair transplant. Also, on my follow up visit, he stated that his race is better than others as does not need high maintenance, which of course was not appropriate. I spent about 11k on a procedure that left me still category 5 bald with a huge permanent scar in the back that I am trying to treat now.

• Thanks 1

Are you in Chicago? You definitely need to consult with @Dr. Vladimir Panine. He's highly recommended on here and is an Elite Coalition member. He's board certified in dermatology and did his surgery training at Stanford and has been putting out amazing results for the past 25+ years. 

And yes, you should definitely be on oral finasteride and topical minoxidil. 

Please feel free to reach out anytime and keep the community posted.

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Thanks 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Definitely wait for Konior or Nadimi. I know it's tempting to go the Bosley, Restore, etc route with all the advertisements across the city bit you'll be happy with the results. There's a reason why their waiting list is as long as it is.

Edited by makehairgreatagain
Typo
  • Like 3

Can you get away with no Finasteride? I'm not a fan of the possible side effects. I have tons of hair, I just have a receded temple area (that was always thin even as a kid). 
My dad has perfect hairline (no loss), but I think my hairline resembles my grandpas. That's why I think I can get away with just filling it up and not take Finasteride. I do use some rogaine atm with zero side effects

Edited by whatthehair

At 25 with hair loss you should be considering fin as a option to retain the hair you have. We cannot rely on family members hair loss. Your situation will be different. 
You could spend a lifetime chasing the loss without meds to maintain. Facts are nobody can fully predict where you will end up. But hair loss continues through our life. And as you already facing loss at 25 you can pretty much say it has a chance of being pretty aggressive. 

• Like 1

I'm in a competitive program and don't want anything to possibly alter my state of mind. But I will seriously consider finasteride later on down the road. I'll be sure to discuss this with Konoir/Nadimi when I get a consultation with them. My hope is they come to a similar conclusion I have. Thanks for talking me out of Bosely, you guys convinced me to ditch Bosley just by their bad reputation.

• Like 1

I would say the earlier it’s tried the better as you have some much hair to lose. You will regret not starting it otherwise sooner... a lot of members will say the same..

But it’s a decision not to be taken lightly since it will be a lifetime commitment and yes the possibility of side effects. It’s a discussion to have with your own Dr and also your chosen clinic. It’s the one thing i agree with Bosley. Amazed as I am to be writing that... 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whatthehair said:

I'm in a competitive program and don't want anything to possibly alter my state of mind. But I will seriously consider finasteride later on down the road. I'll be sure to discuss this with Konoir/Nadimi when I get a consultation with them. My hope is they come to a similar conclusion I have. Thanks for talking me out of Bosely, you guys convinced me to ditch Bosley just by their bad reputation.

The chances of side effects are a little less than 5% on oral finasteride. I would definitely consider taking oral finasteride. I know MANY patients who wish they had used oral finasteride much earlier. You're essentially fighting with one arm tied behind your back without finasteride/minoxidil. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

I'm a little bit of hypochondriac, and would overthink it if my state of mind is altered in anyway. If lets say I have a bad week (and it's not from Finasteride) I would likely get off the medication immediately. It's why I don't think I'm particularly fit for taking it. However if my recession progresses further within the year I would definitely consider it more. 

Get on Fin, go to Konior (or Nadimi), stay away from Bosley. 

• Like 4

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

2 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

The chances of side effects are a little less than 5% on oral finasteride. I would definitely consider taking oral finasteride. I know MANY patients who wish they had used oral finasteride much earlier. You're essentially fighting with one arm tied behind your back without finasteride/minoxidil. 

Hello, does 5mg of finasteride work better than 1mg?

• Valued Contributor

Taking finasteride once you have found out you have lost hair is like taking the contraceptive pill after you have given birth. It doesn't work that way. I understand the psychology of why you want to hold out on finasteride (due to the potential side effects) but you have make decisions based on fact, not emotion.

• Like 2