Hair Restoration outside of US to save money - bad idea?

I am looking to have a hair restoration treatment done this summer. I live in Ohio and have met with two different doctors. I am looking at about 2500 grafts for my crown area and an additional 1000 for my hairline. The cost looks to be around 18k. I am assuming that the US and Europe would likely have the highest rates. I know I have seen a few threads on here mention Turkey as a location with good results and reduced prices. So I guess my overall question is wondering if traveling to another country to get a procedure like this is just a bad idea? If it is not, are there any doctors you might recommend a bit closer to the states? I am not against traveling to Turkey but it is quite a long flight!

Thanks!

There's a lot of factors to consider but you definitely shouldn't go to a place just based on price. The crown is the most challenging area to transplant so you definitely need to go to someone with great results.You also have to look and see what countries will allow you in/out with current Covid restrictions. There's a list of recommended doctors on the main page for you to look at further.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Here's what I suggest you do, start looking at doctors based on results. Forget about everything else. Below is our list of forum-approved surgeons who have been vetted by our community. Look at their profiles, look at their results and then research them here on the forum. I would suggest to start sending as many virtual consultations as possible to get a consensus for the cost, as it will vary from surgeon to surgeon, and region to region.  Once you start looking at doctors for quality, then you can start to weed them out based on cost, convenience, etc. 

list of recommendations

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp

• Like 5

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yes Turkey has some Drs/Clinics which are very capable. HLC, Pekiner, Keser. And Dr Bicer for example.

Your fine if you stay away from the plethora of hair mills and look at the few clinics that are doing good work ! 

• Like 3

On 4/1/2021 at 4:14 PM, Cooper888 said:

I am looking to have a hair restoration treatment done this summer. I live in Ohio and have met with two different doctors. I am looking at about 2500 grafts for my crown area and an additional 1000 for my hairline. The cost looks to be around 18k. I am assuming that the US and Europe would likely have the highest rates. I know I have seen a few threads on here mention Turkey as a location with good results and reduced prices. So I guess my overall question is wondering if traveling to another country to get a procedure like this is just a bad idea? If it is not, are there any doctors you might recommend a bit closer to the states? I am not against traveling to Turkey but it is quite a long flight!

Thanks!

And don't forget to factor in the round trip air fare...but really, it's results that count...you only get one pitch to hit a home run.

If you choose someone who you feel is a cheaper price but then are not happy with the end result, you will regret the decision.

• Like 4

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Not a bad idea. With the US, you're paying for things like rent/property/utilities, higher employee wages even in operations unrelated to the transplant itself (janitor, receptionist). So you really have to realize that all of those factors come into play when getting a transplant in the US. That said, there are also certain benefits to being in the US.

• Like 1

I see that there are no doctors from Mexico on the recommendation list . Are there really no good clinics there? 

I am sure I will only go with someone I have a great deal of confidence in. I have read enough of the bad stories here that I am willing to pay more or just not do it in order to avoid an awful situation. Of course I suppose nothing is certain. I was doing a Google search on a doctor on the list here and found a couple really bad stories back on the forums here! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cooper888 said:

I see that there are no doctors from Mexico on the recommendation list . Are there really no good clinics there? 

I am sure I will only go with someone I have a great deal of confidence in. I have read enough of the bad stories here that I am willing to pay more or just not do it in order to avoid an awful situation. Of course I suppose nothing is certain. I was doing a Google search on a doctor on the list here and found a couple really bad stories back on the forums here! 

I do believe Melvin has a name from Mexico he has previously mentioned is ok. @Melvin-Moderator I don’t think it’s anything special though. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 4/4/2021 at 6:13 PM, Cooper888 said:

Personally, I can’t vouch for any surgeon in Mexico. But ive seen good reviews  from Dr. Nader, I’ve also heard good things about Dr. Cortez. But that’s the extent of the information i have.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I realize how important it is to save money, particularly when you consider the strange times we live in.  But nothing wrong with doing the research which we tend to preach daily.  If you do end up finding photos of cases similar to your own, and you like to work, why not? But.....

Travel expense, hotel, the unknown of it all....and then post op visits, etc.  If something does go wrong, what do you do?  Wouldn't you be better off doing staying put? How about calling the clinic and explain your situation.  I am certain, if you are available when the clinic needs you, (say when there is a last minute cancellation), perhaps you can take advantage of preferential pricing. 

• Like 2

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

On 4/4/2021 at 9:13 PM, Cooper888 said:

Every good surgeon, even the great ones have a few cases that did not work out, and as we all know, there are no guarantees.

But you go with the surgeon(s) that have a long term track record of great results...and glad to see that price is not the driving factor in your final decision.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

1 hour ago, gillenator said:

Every good surgeon, even the great ones have a few cases that did not work out, and as we all know, there are no guarantees.

What do you think the reason for this is? Just bad luck on the patient's part?

It's hard to say as each case is different however the patient's physiology can be an important factor.

Gillenator