Scab removal

Geobenz

Hey fellas. I’m day 5 post FUE and every excited and feeling good under the circumstances. I read and heard by day 7 the scabs should really be falling out. My doc says I can put coconut oil on my scalp and gently message on day 7 and beyond. Just curious if you guys for similar advice. Any other tips to knock out the scabs?  Thanks. 

• Moderators

They should start coming off after the first week. At the one week point you should be starting to rub the scabs while washing your hair, but don't be too rough or try to pull them off. It will take a number of days. What I do is let the shower water run on my hair for a minute when I first get in the shower to start getting the scalp and scabs soft. Then I wash the rest of my body while intermittently putting my head under the water again and again to keep it soaked. Then at the end I put some shampoo in and start rubbing the scabs with the water running over it. This way I get them really wet and softened up before I start to actually shampoo and rub them. That has worked well for me.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Just remember, you head is still very numb from the anesthesia and will be for many weeks.  Rub gently if at all.  They will naturally start to dissolve and fall off in the shower.  I actually rubbed a bit hard after my first surgery and actually scratched my head and didn't know it because it was so numb.  Just be careful and let nature do most of the work.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks John. Agreed. I’m now on day 9 and it’s coming off and almost all gone. Next stage is ugly duckling -  the hardest part is the wait. Silver lining for Covid is working from home until September - 5 full months to grow!  Great before and after pic btw. 

Almost too late now, but I know Ron Shapiro recommends that if the scabs are not off after a week, you can lie in a warm bath for 45 minutes, and the scabs will fall off themselves.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Geobenz said:

I went to Dr Fernau in Pittburgh. Plastic surgeon and Neograft expert. Great mother / daughter technician trio. Have done over 500 procedures. 

You should create a thread, happy growing. Glad you decided to join the forum.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.