About to begin topical finasteride

I just got my 3 month supply of topical finasteride from Dr Carlos Wesleys clinic in New York. 

Has anyone used this stuff from his clinic specifically? Or a topical finasteride elwewhere?

Is there any known side effects similar to oral finasteride? And what were the cosmetic benefits like on topical fin?

I use Morr F, which is a combo of topical finasteride/minoxidil and it has helped me a lot. It's effective, depending on the concentration of the active ingredients and has virtually no side effects because it's absorbed locally and not systemically. Keep the community posted on how it works for you. You need to be patient and be on it for at least 3 months to notice changes.

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

8 hours ago, James C said:

I just got my 3 month supply of topical finasteride from Dr Carlos Wesleys clinic in New York. 

Has anyone used this stuff from his clinic specifically? Or a topical finasteride elwewhere?

Is there any known side effects similar to oral finasteride? And what were the cosmetic benefits like on topical fin?

I ditched fin tablets after 10 years and got on topical fin/minox from Minoxidil Max in October 2020.

My hair has got thicker and 2 months without a fin pill is also reversing the side effects I got from an off-brand Propecia called Aindeem in 2018.

It's been 2 months without a pill now (I didn't jump straight off oral and onto topical, it was more of a staggered approach) and the numbness that's affected my entire body seems to have almost gone. 

The thicker hair could be dermarolling but it could also be because I use about 2ml of topical fin/minox to completely cover my entire scalp (including donor area). 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

20 minutes ago, TommyLucchese said:

I ditched fin tablets after 10 years and got on topical fin/minox from Minoxidil Max in October 2020.

My hair has got thicker and 2 months without a fin pill is also reversing the side effects I got from an off-brand Propecia called Aindeem in 2018.

It's been 2 months without a pill now (I didn't jump straight off oral and onto topical, it was more of a staggered approach) and the numbness that's affected my entire body seems to have almost gone. 

The thicker hair could be dermarolling but it could also be because I use about 2ml of topical fin/minox to completely cover my entire scalp (including donor area). 

Can I ask how you use this ? Do you apply it all over your scalp, leave on for a period of time and then rinse off? How frequently do you have to use this ? Thanks 

3 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Can I ask how you use this ? Do you apply it all over your scalp, leave on for a period of time and then rinse off? How frequently do you have to use this ? Thanks 

Sure...

I usually part the hair to expose my crown, fill up the dropper thing with as much as possible (usually 0.75ml comes in with one squeeze) and I just started "dropping" all the way into the crown every CM across and down or so. This will usually start running down a bit into the donor.

Then I fill it back up and start dropping along the hairline into my HT, and purposely onto the bald temples and into the side donor. Then I repeat into the mid scalp. Then depending on how I feel, I might get an extra bit 0.25ml - 0.5ml and just slide it into my main donor regions and "drop" while moving the dropper around.

Then I rub it all in making sure the entire scalp has got covered. 

Now I think about it, I might use as much as 3.5ml per go... I do have the Essengen 6 which is 0.5mg fin per 1ml and supposed to be done twice a day. Hopefully that balances out how much I use, my next bottle is the 7% minox and the 1mg fin combo though so we'll see how that goes.

I basically pay no mind to the measurements and just make sure it's all wet and sticky. Then I dry with a hairdryer and go back every 5 mins or so to dry it a little bit more.

There's no science to back me up, maybe I'm doing it completely wrong, but it seems to be working. I've had only positive changes from this product and method (better hair and no more sides from oral) so.....so far so good. 

If anything changes I'll definitely post about it. 

[edit] Sorry, I didn't answer all of your questions. I leave it on for the rest of the day and rinse the next morning. I am pretty haphazard with the way I do it - sometimes it's 9am sometimes it's 2pm and sometimes it's 9pm. Sometimes if it's like 9pm I only do the 1ml on the crown rather than doing the whole scalp.

I also don't have any set days I do it.........it's usually 3 times per week but this month it's only been once per week. Over the years with fin I have never had a set schedule beyond the first year......I might take it 5 times per week for 6 months and then drop down to 3 times a week for a year and then not take it at all for 6 months.

This is part laziness and part strategy to never let my body get too used to it, which will hopefully mean it always stays effective. Again, no science behind that but it seems to be working well so far. I can always see a difference when I take these extended breaks, the crown looks wider and patchier, but 3 months of regular always brings me back to the point where I feel that it's thick and healthy. Never seem to get shedding for some reason, it's more like thinning and patchiness. 

Edited by TommyLucchese
  • Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

13 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Thankyou

No problem, are you thinking of trying topical?

39 minutes ago, TommyLucchese said:

No problem, are you thinking of trying topical?

I’ve been reading ALOT recently on topical dutasteride. I may make a thread. For myself, I’m opposed to all of the proven medications currently available,  however there have been some interesting threads and theories surrounding topical dutasteride which have caught my attention. 

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

I use Morr F, which is a combo of topical finasteride/minoxidil and it has helped me a lot. It's effective, depending on the concentration of the active ingredients and has virtually no side effects because it's absorbed locally and not systemically. Keep the community posted on how it works for you. You need to be patient and be on it for at least 3 months to notice changes.

Have you been tracking your progress with pictures?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

45 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Have you been tracking your progress with pictures?

I actually wanted to, but it completely escaped my mind. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

16 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

What are your thoughts on topical Dutasteride? I've been debating on whether to add to my Finasteride regimen. The other thing is it's not easy to get a hold of.

• Like 1

Once topical finasteride was developed and marketed, I kind of thought there would eventually be a form of topical DUT developed...just a matter of time.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

2 hours ago, deitel130 said:

What are your thoughts on topical Dutasteride? I've been debating on whether to add to my Finasteride regimen. The other thing is it's not easy to get a hold of.

I haven’t seen topical dutasteride on the market but it would most likely be more effective since dutasteride works on both isoforms of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase while finasteride only works on one of the isoforms. 

• Like 1