Can Other People Feel a Hair Transplant Scar?

I'm going in for my first transplant soon, an FUT procedure. I know that starting with FUT yields greater lifetime grafts, and I prefer longer hair in the back, anyway. I know the commonly-cited benefits and risks, and based on those, I'm sold on it. However, there is one thing I'm curious about that I can't find an answer on. I've heard people say on videos that they can feel their own FUT scars. I'm not sure how well they can feel it, and whether they really have to palpate to notice it at all. But let's say you're with a woman, and she puts her fingers through your hair. Here's my question: how likely is she to notice that you have an FUT scar by touch alone?

Of course, if I'm in a long-term relationship, I'm going to reveal that I've had a procedure, and that I plan on getting more procedures in the future. So it's not something I'm going to hide forever from every woman. But I can imagine this being awkward if I'm with a woman whom I don't trust quite yet.

This is probably not the biggest concern to have, but it's something to consider, in my view.

Thoughts?

After my first FUT I was always able to feel the scar but if I was to lift my hair and search for the scar without feeling it, I was unable to really notice it. With my second FUT the previous scar was cut out and replaced with a new one. This time around I don't feel it. I think it has a lot to do with surgeon's closure technique and the way you heal. 

I've had 2 FUTs, with the first being about 10 years ago. I am not able to feel my scar whatsoever and my scar is not even noticeable. I haven't heard of this issue with my friends who have had FUTs as well. 

And Dr. Wesley is great. You're in very good hands with him. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

58 minutes ago, FUEgetaboutit said:

@deitel130

You mean that you could feel it as in not touching it with your hands, but noticing it when you move your neck around, something like that?

I'm going in with Wesley, so I assume he'll have a decent closure technique.

Interesting that you don't feel it after the second FUT procedure.

I mean I could feel it with my hands not at the top layer but below the scalp cause I believe there was some scar tissue built up below but when looking at it you'd never be able to tell. If I shaved my hair you'd be able to see but if I just lifted my hair around the scar it was difficult to notice the scar. Hope that helps.i wouldn't worry about it too much it's rare to end up with a raised scar.

I usually keep my feelings to myself, but in this case - I can feel a slight indent when I search for it, but nothing noticeable especially to a stranger puts her fingers through my hair - which actually does happen as much as you think it will.  (sigh)

• Like 2

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Moderators

Do I feel a sensation on my head that the scar is there? The first year while it's healing, Yes. After that, No.

Can I feel the scar with my fingers when I rub them along the scar? The first year while it's healing, Yes. After that it's mostly no. There's a small section of one scar that I can feel, but it's minor.

Can a woman feel my scars? No

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Just at 6 months after my procedure i dont think my scar is noticeable when i brush my hand down the back of my head,  and i know its there. 

If someone brushes thier hand on the back of your head and you had your procedure 6+ months ago i would think it would be near impossible to feel

For what its worth I don't care who knows if I've had a hair transplant or not. Who cares? Would you stop seeing a girl if you found out her boobs were fake? I mean maybe the answer to that is Yes, but then the relationship is not meant to be in the first place. In our little forum here on the internet, hair transplants are the most important thing in the world. But I've told many dates I've had a hair transplant, the dates went well and no one bats an eye. Unless you have a botched hair transplant and your hair looks horrible, most women just do not care that much about your hair. 

I will concede tho if I had to tell a partner I was wearing a hair system, I would have a lot of anxiety and it would be hard for me. But a hair transplant is just whatever IMO. 

Edited by DenverBuff1989

4 hours ago, FUEgetaboutit said:

@deitel130

You mean that you could feel it as in not touching it with your hands, but noticing it when you move your neck around, something like that?

I'm going in with Wesley, so I assume he'll have a decent closure technique.

Interesting that you don't feel it after the second FUT procedure.

I assume you're referring to Carlos Wesley? Please document your procedure--there are few if any patient procedures from him on here, and I'm also considering him!

• Administrators

In my opinion, it’s best to be honest either way. The only person feeling your head that intimately would either be a doctor, in which case be honest, or your significant other, in which case be honest. Getting an HT is nothing to be ashamed of.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for the insight everyone! Certainly not the biggest concern in the world, but my mind is running through every possible negative that could come about from a transplant. Neurosis at its finest.

@caricatura That is correct! Once I go under, I plan on sharing the results with the forum. I agree. I like Wesley's preventative technique (at least in theory), and he seems to have enough good results and overall renown for me to trust him with my transplant. Still, it'd be nice to see more patient reviews and hear some nuanced, experienced opinions.

As to Melvin's point, I don't disagree concerning honesty. I certainly wouldn't cover up my transplant from my significant other, especially considering that I want to get more down the line. Still, I don't know exactly if I would want to advertise it to someone I'm just getting to know.

• Like 1