FUT then FUE, or Multiple FUE's to harvest most amount of grafts

Hi guys,

I have been following HT industry/forum for a while and after reading and watching many patients/experts advise I sort of made my mind set on getting FUT's first before getting FUE's after maximizing the amount of grafts that can possibly be harvested from an FUT scar. The goal here to be able to maximize the amount of grafts i can get from my donor over my life time just in case if i keep losing more hair down the track (even though i am on Fin/Min/Niz)

I have consulted with a few of the Top surgeons and the consensus seems that most of them have advising/pushing towards FUE and are trying to stir away from FUT..

Which makes me wonder whether FUE techniques have improved enough to deliver similar yield and transaction rates to FUT nowadays or whether FUT is still superior in this regard?

If you want to maximize donor, then definitely max out with FUT, then go with FUE. I had a 3300 grafts FUT procedure, and the results were poor, but it allowed me to get a second procedure, via FUE, where over 4000 grafts were extracted. I am being told, that I can obtain an additional 3000 grafts, maybe more, with beard hair, if I go that route. If I had not gotten FUT, initially, I would be in a bad situation, right now, with not enough grafts to fill in the crown.

As for the transection rates, it really depends, on the clinic you choose. I have read that some places claim that FUE, has evolved to such an extent, that yield and transaction rates are similar to FUT, so I guess that is something you can ask the clinic, when you have your consultation with them

^^^  I agree with Rob.  Get an FUT first at a top clinic.  Your scar should be barely noticable when done right.

After your first FUT see if you have enough laxity for a 2nd FUT

I didnt, thats why I'm now down to doing FUE's only.

Many people wont have laxity for another FUT after they just had 1 FUT

Yes, FUE has similar yield and transection rates as FUT.  Thank goodness, because 10 years ago this wasn't the case.  Still, depending on your level of loss, you might want the maximum amount of lifetime grafts.  So then you should get as many strip procedures as you can without risking a stretched scar and then go FUE.  I did six strip surgeries (including one scar revision) over the span of a decade before getting FUE and now it looks like I might be able obtain 10K lifetime grafts if need be - and I could very well need it.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group