Is a (Turkish) clinic that only takes cash anything to worry about?

Hi, John,

Esma and Serkan Tetik. I know cash only isn't ideal but trust them from what I've read. It's just easy to freak out a bit when someone puts thoughts in your mind.

Edited by jc80220

• Administrators

I’ve heard that it is somewhat standard in Turkey. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey: 

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You might ask them if they will accept credit cards. But there's usually a transaction fee and conversion fee, which makes it more expensive. In my procedure, I brought $7,000 USD cash and paid an additional $4,000 USD on credit card (because we agreed to do more grafts than estimated).

10 hours ago, jc80220 said:

Why do clinics only take cash?

I just think it's a cash centric culture. I offered to wire the whole amount before I flew out, but they didn't want that much money before the procedure. I did ask if I could wire the money to them when I got there, they were ok with that idea. You could ask the clinic for that option. My surgery was over 2 days (and I stayed an extra 6 days in Turkey) so I had time for the bank to wire and funds clear. But I just took cash and paid the balance on credit card. 

Also, the Lira was down almost 10% against the dollar when I was there over the previous 2 weeks. They were very happy to take my USD! :D

Thanks, Macho. You went with HLC(?) though which is obviously top tier. For those of us paying less it is a concern.

Can I ask the forum, would Dermisoy require cash only payment?

Edited by jc80220

11 hours ago, jc80220 said:

Thanks, Macho. You went with HLC(?) though which is obviously top tier. For those of us paying less it is a concern.

Can I ask the forum, would Dermisoy require cash only payment?

Went with Demirsoy, I paid in USD. Took around 5000$ in cash while flying. I believe his assistant told me they would charge ~8% extra if paid with a credit card.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 11:24 AM, jc80220 said:

I mentioned it to my brother, who's a police officer, and now my heads full of comments about being robbed by the clinic and left for dead 😄

I do believe this is the standard in Turkey.
I went to a top Doctor in Turkey and only was allowed to wire the booking deposit the rest was paid in cash euros on the first day of the surgery.
I traveled with 7000€ in cash and was quite scared of carrying around that much money but I had the clinic driver waiting for me at the airport and the Hotel was across the street from the clinic. 

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, smurf said:

i would use american express. 

that way if they don't render services, you can call amex and issue out a chargeback

Also, Amex chargebacks are unrepresentable, meaning the merchant can't dispute them. 

Amex would always reverse the transaction if the customer claims it was fraudulent. 

Edited by UnbaldEagle

On 12/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, smurf said:

i would use american express. 

that way if they don't render services, you can call amex and issue out a chargeback

Revolut is much better because there are zero taxes with this card plus the exchange rate favors euro/usd/gbp. 
I never travel without Revolut! 
You can even make cash withdrawals without taxes (limited amount per week).

• Like 1