Did your beard hair transplant leave any scarring??

• Administrators

From what I’ve seen of @Zoomster no, but maybe @Portugal25 can chime in also.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Westview said:

For those who have had beard hair to scalp transplants, did the FUE on the beard hairs leave any weird scarring along your throat, chin or cheeks??

Please post your experience, whether bad or good

Absolutely nothing as you can check in my thread. It was un-noticeble after just 10 days but I had BHT with one of the best Doctors in the world for BHT (in my opinion). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Portugal25 said:

Absolutely nothing as you can check in my thread. It was un-noticeble after just 10 days but I had BHT with one of the best Doctors in the world for BHT (in my opinion). 

Were the injections into the throat area painful?? I heard they are considerably more painful than the scalp

Just now, Westview said:

Were the injections into the throat area painful?? I heard they are considerably more painful than the scalp

Similar level of pain as scalp extraction. You feel those first two or three injection and then it’s just mild discomfort. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Portugal25 said:

Mind sharing some pictures? I’m interested in doing some BHT next year. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

Just checked out his thread. Very interesting. Cannot see any beard graft scarring.

Like you I’m interested in BHT, hopefully Eugenix 🙏

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

Melvin you can see pictures from 10 days after surgery and it looks clean. 

I can show pictures from now but I don’t to go more than 3 days without shaving so there’s nothing to see other than smooth skin.

I will take a picture tomorrow because I haven’t shaved since Sunday. 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnAC71 said:

Just checked out his thread. Very interesting. Cannot see any beard graft scarring.

Like you I’m interested in BHT, hopefully Eugenix 🙏

Dr. Sethi and Dr. Arika along with Pekiner and HLC (Dr. Akin and Dr. Ozgur) are the best in the world for BHT (in my opinion).

6 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

Dr. Sethi and Dr. Arika along with Pekiner and HLC (Dr. Akin and Dr. Ozgur) are the best in the world for BHT (in my opinion).

Totally agree with this. If I get similar numbers to you I would be happy.

Does seem a lot of us with a high Norwood usually have a pretty awesome beard to tap in too. 

Edited by JohnAC71

37 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

Thats the woman I talked to on whatsapp, Dr. Arika. 

She said something along the lines of you need a ratio of 1 to 2  scalp to beard hair grafts.

Doing beard hairs alone looks unnatural, so you have to mix scalp with beard hair grafts.

So for example if you wanted 3,000 total hair grafts for your crown, you would need about  1,000 scalp hair grafts, and about 2,000 beard hair grafts.  Of course this is gonna vary amongst patients depending on graft thickness, colour contrast.......etc. But thats about the average.

Also keep in mind your beard hairs are almost all singles and a few doubles, but no triple or quadruple grafts.

However your beard hair is approximately twice as thick in diameter as scalp hair, so that helps a lot

Edited by Westview

Beard hair is a great “filler” and yes the diameter is thicker. Zoomster also used it to great effect. I’m looking to just add density to my my mid section. 
I also was talking to Eugenix but entry to India is not going to be possible for quite a while for me (UK) already rearranged twice 😞

3 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Beard hair is a great “filler” and yes the diameter is thicker. Zoomster also used it to great effect. I’m looking to just add density to my my mid section. 
I also was talking to Eugenix but entry to India is not going to be possible for quite a while for me (UK) already rearranged twice 😞

Its also the length of the flight,  jeezus christ!! 😲

From where I am located, and given  Covid-19 is still happening, I'd be looking at a 25 hour flight with 2 stops just to get to Mumbai.  All while I have to wear that darned mask.  Not a fun time! 😟

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Westview said:

Its also the length of the flight,  jeezus christ!! 😲

From where I am located, and given  Covid-19 is still happening, I'd be looking at a 25 hour flight with 2 stops just to get to Mumbai.  All while I have to wear that darned mask.  Not a fun time! 😟

Where are you located? I was choosing between HLC and Eugenix. Eugenix is my preference but yes it a long haul. 

30 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

@Westview would you be able to share a pic of your beard? How many grafts did Dr Arika think they could take?

Mine was around 2000 grafts at least. Based on pics. 

I can take a pic but you wont see much.  I have brown hair mixed with grey hairs and they are very hard to see on cellphone pics.

I even had to colour it with Just for Men so Dr. Arika could give me an estimate. 

She said around 2,000 grafts for sure, and perhaps 3,000 if I wanted to take most of the beard hairs away.

3,000 thankfully wont be necessary though, 2,000 should be enough.

Also keep in mind I read somewhere the transection rate for beard hair is higher.

Upwards of 10% is what I've read, but that could be outdated information

Edited by Westview

The yield rate for Beard grafts isn’t as good as scalp hairs no, but it’s a lot better than chest hairs. 
They said similar to me, that if I wanted to take all of the beard I could get 3000. 
But I will most likely opt for around 2000. And see what the scarring looks like.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I'll probably be going to Dr. Sethi and Bansal myself. 

• Like 3

View my thread

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I'll probably be going to Dr. Sethi and Bansal myself. 

You're in the US right??  Any reason why you're going to India??

Arent there really good BHT docs in North-America??  Or is it the lower price??

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Westview said:

You're in the US right??  Any reason why you're going to India??

Arent there really good BHT docs in North-America??  Or is it the lower price??

I’m in the US yes. I haven’t seen better results with BHT in the US, if I’m being honest. Eugenix have a lot of BHT results here that make me confident in choosing them. I don’t let cost or location be the deciding factor.

• Like 1

View my thread

11 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

My beard donor after 3 days without shaving.

23207B58-996C-41A8-A487-F320E43F5CCC.jpeg

• Like 2

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Westview said:

For those who have had beard hair to scalp transplants, did the FUE on the beard hairs leave any weird scarring along your throat, chin or cheeks??

Please post your experience, whether bad or good

Very minor. The first few weeks it was a bit red, but once I got past that nobody can notice. Even my close relatives don't know I did anything. Sometimes I do still get a bit of redness, but that area has always been very sensitive on me and I've usually gotten a few red marks after I shave for years before I had any beard grafts removed, so it just looks like that. If you know I had work done and you look for it then you can tell, but that's true even with scalp FUE where most people would never know unless you point it out or they knew you had FUE done and know what to look for.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.