NW2 looking to get FUE but one doctor recommended FUT

Hi I’ve been on the forum for over 10 years, but always read up instead of posted. I’m about ready to finally get a HT for my temples. I didn’t receded much since I got a consultation from Dr Konior back in 2007 (I was 24). I am 37 (almost 38 now) and I am receeding just a touch more in the temples. I’m still an NW 2 I believe or maybe a touch more on the left side. I had an online consultation from Dr Cooley and Konior recently. I am a big fan of both of their work (as the entire forum is too), but I always had a fear of the V scar. Especially since watching Joe Rogan and a buddy of mine who shaved off his HT hair and sports a bald cut with the scar showing. I’d prefer to keep my hair at a 1 or 2 if possible. I’m a 3 right now. Dr Konior recommenced 2k grafts of FUE, but Dr Cooley didn’t due to my family history of MPB. He said it’s best to do FUT and later on FUE if needed. I’m not sure how to proceed?? 

Edited by Rachmunas
Grammar

Tried Finasteride about 2 years in my 20’s. I stopped until about 3 weeks ago. I’m taking 1mg fin per day prescribed by Dr Konior. But Dr Cooley recommended 5mg cut in quarters to take Mon, Wed, Friday. He said who makes the 5mg in Israel is better quality than India for the 1mg. So I might switch to that. I was thinking of starting minoxidil.

Edited by Rachmunas

6 hours ago, Rachmunas said:

Tried Finasteride about 2 years in my 20’s. I stopped until about 3 weeks ago. I’m taking 1mg fin per day prescribed by Dr Konior. But Dr Cooley recommended 5mg cut in quarters to take Mon, Wed, Friday. He said who makes the 5mg in Israel is better quality than India for the 1mg. So I might switch to that. I was thinking of starting minoxidil.

Sounds like a bunch of unsubstantiated drivel from Cooley. Does he have independent lab tests to support his claim about different brands of Finasteride? 5mg Proscar cut into quarters is "cheaper," not "better," than 1mg Finasteride. I'm willing to bet Dr. Konior would prescribe the 5mg if you asked him.

Also, c'mon, man. If you can afford to get an FUE procedure with Konior, just do that. He's probably the best in the world and that's what he recommended for you.

Edited by PizzaWolf

Honestly, if I were to gauge a cut-off for FUT over FUE, I would put that at north of 3200 grafts.  Given your age and progression into MPD at only a NW2, I don't see why a 2000 procedure FUE would be a problem. There is the thought that there is an upsell opportunity for surgeons to press patients for the more expensive FUE procedure. But your procedure only calls for 2k grafts which doesn't cross into the larger sessions that call automatically for FUT. Konior has a reputation for ethics that is beyond reproach. Plus, getting a HT from Konior is equivalent to a bride getting a gown from Vera Wang. Did Cooley also state that your procedure calls for 2000 FUT grafts?

Yes they both coincidentally said 2k grafts. I don’t need a hairline lowering. Just being conservative. I do have a lot of donor though. Thanks guys for your advice. I have no clue where Dr Cooleys facts come from for Fin, or its his personal opinion. I know Dr Konior is like a god on here too, haha. Probably the highest priced surgeon there is, but he’s an artist.

Edited by Rachmunas

Think you already answered it for yourself. You said you don' t want a linear scar, you've been on finasteride in the past and I'm assuming you tolerate it well, probably the best doctor in the world has suggested 2k FUE grafts, likely a pretty strong donor .. and the difference between FUT and FUE for harvesting may just be obsolete and a talk of the past. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I think FUE is reasonable for you, while I see Dr. Cooleys apprehension given your family history. We don’t always follow our family history. My brother and dad are 43 and 63, they’re both Norwood 2/3. I was a Norwood 6 by age 30. It’s rare for someone to go full blown Norwood 6 in their 40’s. Aggressive hair loss in most cases comes on at an early age.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.