The crisis in overharvesting

I frequent this board, as well as other hair loss/hair transplant boards. I feel like, across websites, I am seeing a significant rise in the incidence of overharvesting in FUE. Granted, this has always been an issue, but now that FUE is being practiced extensively and that we are seeing a lot more patients undergoing larger FUE sessions, including megasessions, this seems to be happening more and more. I, for one, find this very alarming, especially when I see it happen to a young person who will have to deal with this problem for decades. 

Are other people noticing this trend as well and becoming concerned about this?

Yes I have seen a increase in over harvesting the last few years. With people getting much larger FUE sessions as you mentioned. And also people going for multiple FUE despite not having the donor to do it.

Which has led to a increase in SMP to help with the damage it leaves behind.

I think it comes with the Instagram marketing and cheap $2000 surgeries on offer.  People are duped into thinking it's routine like getting a dental implant or something.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Definitely a trend.  The misleading "no scar" advertisements don't help...

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Yes, its very real.  Even with the known surgeons.  Depends on the extraction pattern and punch size used.  Also, some surgeons may say that you need 1800 grafts, but may make 100 or more extractions to make up for bad grafts extracted.  

Overharvesting can cause density patches in donor and i know how it feels.  In any case, you don’t want to end up as a person needing repairs.  It is the worst feeling.