Is hair transplant suitable for me

Hi,

I am 36 and been losing my hair over last 5 years. I have been using hair fibres but hair loss is too much now to conceal.

I Live in London and looked into hair transplant in Harley Street. Been to a couple of clinics but got different messages. I said I was suitable and the other said I still had too many miniaturise hair all over for the transplant to be successful (not bald enough).

what are your thoughts? Any good recommendation for a good London hair clinic?BD7C459D-3F33-4044-85B6-F3B052319A83.thumb.jpeg.2d803bed554d1a564b6b6937a2d352cd.jpeg

Not bald enough, the hell they say.  You have less hair than I did before my first FUT of 2k transplants in 2011.  I had 2.2k FUE in 2018.  You didn't mention how your donor area is.  Give more info and the guys will kick in here with advice.  I would go FUT, then FUE, but that's just me.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

6 hours ago, Novo said:

the other said I still had too many miniaturise hair all over

Miniaturizing all over - if they actually mean all over your head, that would include your donor area too. You definitely wouldn't want to get a hair transplant if your donor area is thinning as well. Otherwise if your donor is fine maybe they are worried about permanently shock lossing what you do have. Have you considered or tried finasteride previously to try to stabilize your loss?

• Administrators

Can you share a picture of your donor area. Are you suitable, it's hard to say, what are your expectations? If you expect full coverage and density, then my answer is no. But if you're willing to accept a thin/bald crown, then I think you could be a candidate. If you have been told that you have a thinning donor, then you are not a suitable candidate. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for your reply. My donor area is good (full and thick) and both clinics confirmed that.

I am just concerned to go ahead with HT when a reputable clinic Said I am currently not suitable.

I have tried fin about 5 years ago but had side effects so came off them after a month.

i am thinking about starting minoxidil (not sure if that’s going to do anything at this stage).

I might even shave my head in a few hours. Getting tired of research and constantly think about it.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Novo said:

Thanks for your reply. My donor area is good (full and thick) and both clinics confirmed that.

I am just concerned to go ahead with HT when a reputable clinic Said I am currently not suitable.

I have tried fin about 5 years ago but had side effects so came off them after a month.

i am thinking about starting minoxidil (not sure if that’s going to do anything at this stage).

I might even shave my head in a few hours. Getting tired of research and constantly think about it.

The clinic you mentioned I would not say is reputable, they are celebrity endorsed clinic. Some clinics will say anything to get you in the door. Have you consulted with any of our recommended surgeons? The fact that you've received conflicting information is cause for concern. Has your donor been evaluated microscopically? 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

It looks good in the photo, but did the surgeon who refused you as a patient view it microscopically? Sometimes miniaturization is not visible to the naked eye. 

View my thread

The point of looking at the donor is not the fact it is thick and full.  We need to confirm you are not dipping. If your pattern is, in fact, progressing, this could have an implication as to how to approach your case.

If Propecia is causing issues, PRP, Laser and Rogaine may be in order.  Depending on your goals, anything you can save and enhance would help.

My concern is that they actual said I wasn’t suitable yet. They could have treated me but chose to turn me away rather than tell me what I want to hear.

I don’t know any particular surgeons unfortunately so any recommendations are welcomed.

So I took some drastic action yesterday and shaved my head and feel better about going bald.

it is easier now to see the hairs on my head currently.

Although you can see that it is very thin on top but actually quite a lot of hairs left still.

would you agree that it is too early for HT? Just started Minoxidil and hope that may help. 

8EBB010C-6358-4F08-80F0-BE80D58B615F.jpeg

70E1375A-F602-4309-8BCE-AFA5B87AD71A.jpeg

7C201B41-21A3-44A6-8A7F-3B3F30E277D0.jpeg

Edited by Novo

• Valued Contributor

In my humble opinion you need to look further afield from the UK and do some more research. Some people who have been knocked back as a hair transplant candidate have had excellent results when their expectations are realistic. Look at Eugenix and Hasson and Wong for starters. Wishing you all the best.

3 hours ago, Gatsby said:

In my humble opinion you need to look further afield from the UK and do some more research. Some people who have been knocked back as a hair transplant candidate have had excellent results when their expectations are realistic. Look at Eugenix and Hasson and Wong for starters. Wishing you all the best.

Yes I agree with Gatsby here, please do keep researching other clinics. There isn’t that many decent options in the Uk.