Trichophytic closure just over hyped?

Guys,

Do you think Trichophytic closure is not what it is all hyped up to be? I will acknowledge that there are some decent scars from this closure method but I have not seen many scars where the hair has grown through the scars as stated.

Is it just ploy to sell a hair transplant? Please share your thoughts

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only a ploy when it is disingenuously represented to hype the benefits and ignore the harsh realities so a doctor can make an easier sale. Unfortunately, this happens to varying degrees.

In and of itself it is a useful, positive tool in our arsenal, though, and like anything, it should be looked at for what it honestly is!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

There is no significant hair growing in my tricho scar which is proably 4-5mm.

It may work for some, it didnt work for me. They did explain the variable nature of scars, but I was led to believe a high % are pencil thin.

Going in, I would EXPECT a visible scar and be pleasantly surprised if you done get one.

I guess the really shitty cases are where the scar stretches WIDE. There is alwasy a chance, even from the best.

What is unknown are the actual percentages.

It's only a ploy when it is disingenuously represented to hype the benefits and ignore the harsh realities so a doctor can make an easier sale. Unfortunately, this happens to varying degrees.

In and of itself it is a useful, positive tool in our arsenal, though, and like anything, it should be looked at for what it honestly is!

thanatopsis_awry,

So what are the "harsh realities" and is there sufficient growth of hair through the scar to call that a benefit?

Please elaborate

take care...

In my mind, tricho is definitely not hyped, especially since it is endorsed by top doctors like H&W, Cooley, Shapiro etc...

I am only 2 months out of HT, and i see lots of hair growing through the scar.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Originally posted by mmhce:
which is proably 4-5mm

Emperor,

4-5mm is very large for a surgical scar! Are you sure?

No, Im not sure. It looks the width of a matchstick. I cant figure out a good way to measure it while holding a mirror in my hand so I can see the side/back.

Emperor,

Check with your doctor, and make sure the scar does not stretch. I am unsure as to what width the scar should be initially after surgery, but I don't think it should be that wide....which is almost a quarter-inch!

take care...

Emperor,

Check with your doctor, and make sure the scar does not stretch. I am unsure as to what width the scar should be initially after surgery, but I don't think it should be that wide....which is almost a quarter-inch!

I dont think a matchstick is a quarter inch. Maybe an eigth of an inch.

Now I'm looking at a ruler and Im not sure if it is an eith of an inch. . .I really need to figure out a way to acurately measure it.

The point is that it doesnt matter how "wide" the scar is in an absolute sense. What is more important is how short you can cut your hair without seeing the scar.

it doesnt matter how "wide" the scar
it doesnt matter how "wide" the scar is in an absolute sense. What is more important is how short you can cut your hair without seeing the scar.

I disagree.

To me, what is important, is how well your scar heals (and fades) with time.

Then how short you can cut your hair to hide the ever fading scar.

take care...

it doesnt matter how "wide" the scar
it doesnt matter how "wide" the scar is in an absolute sense. What is more important is how short you can cut your hair without seeing the scar.

I disagree.

To me, what is important, is how well your scar heals (and fades) with time.

Then how short you can cut your hair to hide the ever fading scar.

Fades? Lol, you havent had a HT.

Fades? Lol, you havent had a HT.

No, I haven't as yet.

But I have had scars and they DO fade with time!

And the intention of surgically engineered scar, is to fade to an almost indistinguishable point.

I don't think we should digress too much from the intention of this thread originated by "jazz" which is answerr the "hype" as he puts it of the trichophytic closure.

take care...

scars do fade eventually as an extensive blood supply works its way through it. It takes many years for this to happen though and in the mean time its quite white.

I've got lots of scars on my body which were very white but after 10 or so years blend in with the surrounding areas almost perfectly.

In my opinion, the trichophytic closure is the "gold" standard for creating an optimal scar. However, it's far from a perfect technique. The trichophytic closure doesn't do anything to stop the risks of stretching, and there's no guarantee that a significant amount of hair will grow through the scar. However, in most cases, it creates the best opportunity for the most optimal looking and thin scar.

Any clinics that call the trichophytic closure technique "scarless" is incorrectly explaining it, and is considered not just hype, but false advertising.

Bill

The "harsh realities" I mentioned are basically what Bill just explained.....stretching, hair growth via scar....

It's the best out there, but to hawk it like it is a *panacea* for the strip-scarring is disingenuous hype!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I think it may be "overhyped" and I do trichophytic closures as a routine.

For example, I have seen 10 guys coming from other docs, who had "tricho closures" who have average to poor scars in the past calender year. I can't prove it, but my theory is that many of these guys had a single layer closure of relatively tight scalp. Even an everted trichophytic closure won't prevent widening of the deep tissues.

That is my main reason for a 2 layer closure. That being said, it is no guarantee of a great scar.

On the other hand, I bet I have seen 100 guys in the past calender year who had a strip just stapled shut in one layer, and I bet 15 of them had a SUPERB scar, 35 average, and 50 were widended.

So in addition to the closure technique, a lot depends on the person's own healing characteristics.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

So in addition to the closure technique, a lot depends on the person's own healing characteristics.

So I guess that is why Latinlotus used the PGP Plasma stuff on his excision closure.

BTW Dr. Lindsey "On the other hand, I bet I have seen 100 guys in the past calender year who had a strip just stapled shut in one layer, and I bet 15 of them had a SUPERB scar, 35 average, and 50 were widended."

These stats are horrible. 50% of the men scars widened! Shouldn't scars fade with time?

Thanks for your contribution!

take care...

So I guess that is why Latinlotus used the PGP Plasma stuff on his excision closure.

MMHCE

The main reason i incorporated PRP (Platelet rich plasma) into my HT was to improve the healing at the RECIPIENT site, with the hope of increasing the growth yield.

Although it certainly helped, the use of PRP for the healing of the donor scar was secondary. My main concern regarding the donor region is to have a nice thin invisible scar. That, IMO, can be achieved with trichophytic closure and being careful with weight training/ exercises a few weeks after HT. Of course, you can't run away from your own personal healing characteristics either.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

mmhce,

to clarify, those stats were from walk in consultations from other practices mostly around DC, but some from all over the country, east of kansas.

scars do fade with time, but don't narrow. they only widen.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians