Gabel - 1800 Grafts FUE 2.5 Year Results

I received 1800 graft FUE transplant from a well known Dr Gabel in the US in mid December 2018. I'm writing to provide my 2.5 year post transplant update.

I've had some minor growth since then but its definitely much less than anticipated. There is still a large bald area that I need to comb over and use Toppik on. 

When I mentioned my concern for the lack of growth around the 8 month mark, I was told to be patient and keep waiting as most transplants don't show the full results until at least 1.5 years. Well, it has been 2.5+ years and I think its safe to say that this will be the full extent of my growth. I never received my 1 year check up from Gabel even way before this whole Covid situation.

I know Gabel is highly regarded on these forums and I will probably get flamed for posting this but this is just my experience and my results. There seems to be a lot of positive results from Gabel, however, I am not one of the lucky ones.

Would I have spent all of this money if I knew that this would be the result? Not sure. Flights, hotel, unpaid time off work, 3-5% fee for using credit card. This was a large cost for me for minimal gain. The price was also increased from the quote I received a year prior which is understandable since prices change the more popular a Dr gets, however that hurt as well.  

Before in outside sunlight:

1.PNG.ac246fea067a56e313c71791c8505075.PNG

~5 days

1_01.PNG.7cc19d846749908873156e150721149d.PNG

~10 days:

1.1.PNG.7d77dbc5eb601d0346447ce6957a537a.PNG

~2-3 weeks:

2.PNG.2ef2aabbce30e5e88e00549f3d566ae5.PNG

~8 months:

6.PNG.98b79a622f4d0c20ecf5e2d161e82c9c.PNG

2.5 years:

8.PNG.0b86d64d70b79f64ef16175f382ce27b.PNG

I really wish I could have written a glowing positive review with positive success, but as you can see, my results are lacking. I believe Gabel and his team did provide quality customer service and made me feel at ease during the whole operation and hope anyone that decides to go with him will receive better results. 

9.PNG

10.PNG

• Sad 1

• Administrators

How does it looked combed back or to one side? It looks like it’s kinda spread apart. Have you spoken to Dr. Gabel about your concerns? I’m truly sorry, on the bright side, it definitely looks like an improvement.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1,800 grafts is on the smaller side, especially if this was your first procedure.  Based on your pre-op photo in the sun I think 3,000 grafts would have had a greater impact for your frontal third.  You definitely got some good growth in the hairline, but behind it looks sparse.  Also, what does your hair look like when it's combed normally? I assume that's not your normal hairstyle.  A lot of transplant patients will have weak spots until after their 3rd procedure has grown in, which doesn't necessarily mean your first round is a failure.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I have to agree that 1800 grafts over that area isn’t going to show much of a marked improvement. 
Sorry it hasn’t worked out that well, but maybe you could have another Ht and have more grafts next time ? 

On 7/30/2020 at 9:52 AM, JohnAC71 said:

I have to agree that 1800 grafts over that area isn’t going to show much of a marked improvement. 
Sorry it hasn’t worked out that well, but maybe you could have another Ht and have more grafts next time ? 

yeah seems like getting a 2nd one is a likely route. wasnt planning to get another one for a long time. Unfortunate.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:21 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

How does it looked combed back or to one side? It looks like it’s kinda spread apart. Have you spoken to Dr. Gabel about your concerns? I’m truly sorry, on the bright side, it definitely looks like an improvement.

My recent pic will show it combed together. I havent spoken to Gabel. Not sure what I'm supposed to tell him.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, ThePeoplesElbow said:

My recent pic will show it combed together. I havent spoken to Gabel. Not sure what I'm supposed to tell him.

Tell him that you’re not satisfied, he’s a reasonable person/surgeon. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/25/2020 at 11:49 PM, knight19 said:

How was it after a year? I think hair transplant looks good only after one year. Then, you start loosing your hair again.

It's been 2 years. Don't think I've ever received good results compared to a lot of other patients that went with Gabel. If a hair transplant only looks good after 1 year, after 3 transplants, you'll be bald again? I would hope that a transplant should last longer than that.

• 1 year later...
On 12/9/2020 at 3:44 PM, ThePeoplesElbow said:

It's been 2 years. Don't think I've ever received good results compared to a lot of other patients that went with Gabel. If a hair transplant only looks good after 1 year, after 3 transplants, you'll be bald again? I would hope that a transplant should last longer than that.

Did you ever go back to Dr. Gabel with your concerns? Looking at Gabel and curious about this "negative" result. Let me know if you are still around and receive updates. Would love to hear what happened and whether you spoke to Dr. Gabel about your results