How common is shock loss in previously transplanted zone

• Moderators

I always get some shock loss even when doing a small session in a previous transplanted area. There's not a complete loss of everything in the area, but I do lose some density for a few months until it grows back.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

11 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I always get some shock loss even when doing a small session in a previous transplanted area. There's not a complete loss of everything in the area, but I do lose some density for a few months until it grows back.

Thanks. What if the area is all previously transplanted hairs and no natives? I assumed the transplanted hairs do not shed since they are stronger.

1 hour ago, TrixGlendevon said:

Depends on skills of the surgeon and blood flow to the area but I would bank on at least some for up to 6 months.

Previously transplanted grafts aren’t subject to permanent shock loss, correct?

Hi HTHope,

In my experience dealing with countless patients over the last few years, previously transplanted hairs tend to grow out at their normal pace following a second top up surgery in the same area. Being from the donor safe zone they are more resilient.

Again a top surgeon will take care to create incisions away from existing grafts to minimise damage and reduce trauma to existing grafts. 

Furthermore if you do experience shock loss then it is likely to be only temporary and not permanent. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HTHope said:

Say the previous zone was implanted at 40-50 grafts/cm. How common is shock loss if you go with another small pass to add more density (10 grafts/cm)?

From my own experience my transplanted hairs had shockloss on the second and third procedure. My doctor was a little conservative doing around 35 grafts per  pass.( better survival possibly🤔)  So on the 2nd pass I already had around 70 grafts but because of my fine thin hair I felt I needed more. But each time up until the 4th month my shockloss was horrible and I thought it wouldn’t affect my previous work but it did. It does grow back so no worries. 

Edited by Guy73
  • Like 1

Depends on how deep incisions are made and what method is used for incisions and how much fluid is injected.  Skill of doctor in proper angulation also comes into play.    Hairs can transect, when they do, shockloss can be permanent.  When they dont, they may grow back unless the area harmed starts getting heavily scarred with less and less vascularization, then they wont.  

My scalp got played with and wreckless things lead to damages.  Lost faith in some docs and learned some truth to this industry.   trying to get out of this situation.  Hoping i can so that i can move on.   Carefully tread on this and get multiple opinions from multiple docs.  Ih and tell them you’ll be posting online and some will tell you the truth then.  

Be careful and good luck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Depends on how deep incisions are made and what method is used for incisions and how much fluid is injected.  Skill of doctor in proper angulation also comes into play.    Hairs can transect, when they do, shockloss can be permanent.  When they dont, they may grow back unless the area harmed starts getting heavily scarred with less and less vascularization, then they wont.  

My scalp got played with and wreckless things lead to damages.  Lost faith in some docs and learned some truth to this industry.   trying to get out of this situation.  Hoping i can so that i can move on.   Carefully tread on this and get multiple opinions from multiple docs.  Ih and tell them you’ll be posting online and some will tell you the truth then.  

Be careful and good luck

If hairs are in the telogen phase can they be damaged since the roots can’t be visualized during surgery?

2 minutes ago, HTHope said:

If hairs are in the telogen phase can they be damaged since the roots can’t be visualized during surgery?

In telogen the bulb will barely be robust and healthy, thus any extraction can probably kill it or they wont be able to get that hair to use safely.  Remember, fue, can be more detrimental to finer hairs during extraction too.  

29 minutes ago, Sean said:

In telogen the bulb will barely be robust and healthy, thus any extraction can probably kill it or they wont be able to get that hair to use safely.  Remember, fue, can be more detrimental to finer hairs during extraction too.  

I meant if they are trying to implant in an area that has telogen roots 

21 minutes ago, HTHope said:

I meant if they are trying to implant in an area that has telogen roots 

No matter what magnifying glass they use, it will be extremely hard to see it.  They may be able to guess it if a very thin Vellus like hair remains, but there’s no gaurantee.