Should I be concerned if a surgeon performs two surgeries per day?

gemini

I’ve been researching hair transplant surgeons and one of the differentiating factors of some clinics is that the surgeon stagers the surgery so he can have two patients per day vs just one. In either case, the surgeon performs the extraction and site creations while the techs pull the grafts, QA, and implant.

Should performing two surgeries per day be a concern for me?

1 hour ago, gemini said:

Should performing two surgeries per day be a concern for me?

Yes if they are at the same time.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Surgery is tiring for a surgeon- whether too many grafts are being extracted or two patients heads are being extracted.

it’s best to be the patient who is solely focused on during surgery.  You want to lessen your risks

If the clinic does a small and a midlevel case in one day instead of a big one; it is no issue.

Example: My first surgery was over just after lunch time. I do not expect the clinic to shut down for the remainder inder of the day.

But 2 big surgeries in parallel is not sth. I would like. 

Edited by Gasthoerer
  • Like 1

It is a numbers game.  How big is the practice? How many doctors are working there?  How about staff? Nurses, techs?

I gather we are talking about a practice with one doctor.  I would rather have a doctor doing multiple cases than just one.  This does bring up a few things worth discussing.....

If he is doing 1 per day or per week or per month....Is that by design? Perhaps he is so bad at it - he just does not have any patients to work on.

The more cases, the more experience.  First thing I would do is ask about his credentials.  Did he do a fellowship? Where did he learn to do this? (At a local library)?

Let's get back to the number of cases.  What type of cases?  Perhaps he has 3 cases scheduled.  One for a transplant procedure, one for an eyebrow case and one for a scar revision.  

If the practice is only doing 1 case a day, find out why. 

1 hour ago, LaserCap said:

….

1.  I would rather have a doctor doing multiple cases than just one.  This does bring up a few things worth discussing.....

If he is doing 1 per day or per week or per month....Is that by design? Perhaps he is so bad at it - he just does not have any patients to work on.

2. The more cases, the more experience. ...

1. I think you completely miss the point of the discussion: If the clinic has no patients, the waiting list is the reference. We are talking about clinics how by choice limit to one surgery a day or do more than one per choice. 

2. Learning curve is heavily asymptotic, which means: Dr. Konior will not get (much) better by doing more surgeries per week. At least not as much to overcome the reduction of focus on the patient. Two small surgeries staggered is fine but 3+ surgeries which all require the focus of the surgeon at the same time, a No-No for me. Or even worse: The grafts wait outside my body as the surgeon is doing work at another patient...a big No-No for me as well.