Are special shampoo and supplements really needed after HT ?

Hello

I ve done my HT a few days ago and doctors in Turkey said I will be needing their special shampoo and pills (Antioxidants and vitamins) for 1 year,

It kinda will cost a bit. But it's not about money, 

I really wanna know your honest opinion, doctors.

Could their shampoo with so many important nutrients and products for healthy hair and their pills (many many antioxidants and minerals and vitamins) help my new transplanted hair or not ?

thanks

What you need is to keep the area clean.  You need a non-abrasive shampoo, (no alcohol).  Baby shampoo will do the trick.

A week of using all the minerals, vitamins and antioxidants is going to do nothing for your transplants.  The head is quite vascular...you're getting all you need. Don't waste your money. I would rather see you invest in a medical regimen to help you with retention of the native hair. (Propecia, Rogaine, laser).

Did they do PRP at the time of the procedure?

• Thanks 1

I totally agree with @LaserCap.

Invest in approved maintenance regimens (minoxidil, finasteride or low level light therapy.)

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

They did no PRP, I have not much knowledge into PRP whatsoever.

Regarding :

Finasteride - I have spent 2 months into reading all accounts of finasteride users, most became sick and many of them impotent for life, I will not risk.

Minoxidil - I  have been on it, did nothing for my hair except shedd shedd shedd

Laser - really ?

Honestly is there anything to help after the hair transplant ? I mean REAL help not these types of... guineea testing medicines that we are not sure that they work. I mean, K2 vitamin ? or anything people use after hair transplant ? 

Neither do a lot of people.....

With regards to Finasteride, what have you read and where did you read it? Who wrote it? What was the sickness? 

The side effect we typically discuss is loss of interest when it comes to sex.  It's like turning off the faucet.  The documented percentage of patients that do experience a side effect is less than 1%.  

Laser therapy works on the cellular level.  It promotes blood to the area.  More nutrients, benefit to the native hair.

If the donor is permanent, it will be permanent wherever it's placed.  Grafts do not need additional help.

The fact is, if you've lost, you will continue losing.  And, if you end up with an advanced pattern, there will not be enough donor available to allow for a full set of hair.  Retaining as much of the native hair as you can is of the utmost importance.

You truly need to get informed and educated......

• Administrators

Special shampoos and sprays in my opinion are useless. You don't need any lotions or pills for hair to grow. The grafts need to be kept clean and safe that's all.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Transplanted hair will grow without help if properly transplanted through the entire process. Nonetheless, the native hair needs good maintenance using what was discussed. A hair transplant is similar to having a “Hollywood smile” done at the dentist. You would still need to brush your teeth daily. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

10 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Neither do a lot of people.....

With regards to Finasteride, what have you read and where did you read it? Who wrote it? What was the sickness? 

The side effect we typically discuss is loss of interest when it comes to sex.  It's like turning off the faucet.  The documented percentage of patients that do experience a side effect is less than 1%.  

Laser therapy works on the cellular level.  It promotes blood to the area.  More nutrients, benefit to the native hair.

If the donor is permanent, it will be permanent wherever it's placed.  Grafts do not need additional help.

The fact is, if you've lost, you will continue losing.  And, if you end up with an advanced pattern, there will not be enough donor available to allow for a full set of hair.  Retaining as much of the native hair as you can is of the utmost importance.

You truly need to get informed and educated......

That is a total lie. Less than 1% ? The effects of finasteride are happening in more than 40% of users. And I have studied this by myself.

I cannot post the link here of Finasteride Survivors Forum, but the community is huge and some even killed themselves after becoming impotent for life. Attention, not temporary but for life, as finasteride cand make one castrated.

I trully don't get it why there are people still stupid enough to risk the risk of impotence to keep hair up, by using finasteride.

IF ACCOUNTS were reported of people developing erectile dysfunction after 1 year of use, and that did not return to normal function, why would one risk ? This medicine is not safe, it is poison. Play the russian roulette with it.......

This is what was being reported in the early 2000's and hasn't changed much.  Keep in mind we are dealing with millions of people, not just hundreds.  And this does not take into account the parent medication, Proscar.  More millions of people.  And, that being 5 times the dose, I wonder why that's not being reported. Based on your account  they should all be dead.

Do you have a medical background?

Yes, I've heard about the impotence issue a handful of times but never witnessed it. I've also heard outrageous accounts of side effects I"m not even aware of. I am guessing with the millions of people inhabiting this earth anything is bound to happen.

Here are some of the other things I've heard,

It can cause cancer

It can help people with cancer

It can make a cancer worse

It can make a particular cancer better

It can make your breast grow,

It can cause depression

It does nothing

It causes shedding

It grew hair

It kept hair

Reversible

Non-reversible

It can cause dementia

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I am glad you've done the research and like I've told patients, if you're not comfortable with it, do not take it.  I for one have been on it for almost 20+ years, never had an issue...except I am forgetting things...Must be Propecia.

I do have a question...how does Propecia work as far as castration goes? I think I'll give it to my dog.

• Administrators

I will agree that 1% sounds highly unlikely, I think side effects occur in much higher. A pole on this anonymous forum showed something like %50. However, I think it's more like 20%. I believe that permanent side effects is more like 1%. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

What's weird, the clinic I've been to, recommended me this special FOAM + shampoo + pills (antioxidants vitamins minerals) for 

1 year !

But I think it's odd. Cause I can't find such a regimen after hair transplant, so what do you think guys ?

• Administrators
On 10/1/2019 at 1:40 PM, axor said:

What's weird, the clinic I've been to, recommended me this special FOAM + shampoo + pills (antioxidants vitamins minerals) for 

1 year !

But I think it's odd. Cause I can't find such a regimen after hair transplant, so what do you think guys ?

What is in the foam and pills? Be weary of any clinic who try to sell you overpriced vitamins. Red flag is anything with biotin or saw palmetto. These two ingredients are dirt cheap and haven't been shown to be very effective.

View my thread

Foam shampoo contains large amounts of panthenol, aloe vera and other antioxidants. Pills contain from copper, zinc to biotine, lysine, choline and other things.

I was curious if anyone who had a hair transplant went on such long after-care medication / special shampoo or if it's not needed at all 

• Administrators

It's not needed or necessary. 

View my thread

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you kindly for your answer,

Honestly, is there anything one can do to kep the existing hairs healthy and up ? I mean, to keep as much hair as possible without further hair loss after the hair transplant.. excluding the usual finasterid/propecia/minoxidil dangerous drugs

THE PRP ?

Edited by axor
  • Like 1

No, supplements and special shampoos arent really needed.  

however, some shampoos can amplify the hair to make it look thicker like Nioxin.  The oiler the shampoo the thinner it will make your hair look. But i wouldnt suggest any enhanced shampoo till like your done with the growth phase of your surgery . 

then you have some vitamins that may help with  health of your hair maybe but not with added new growth.  Biotin, omega 3 fish oils,  vitamin d3,  etc.  

taking care of your health in general, no drugs, no steroids, no smoking, proper diet can help you not shed hairs.  

best of luck with everything 

• 2 weeks later...

Then why most guys here take k2 , molybendum, copper, zinc, magnesium, vit d3, panthotenic acid, iodine

after hair transplant ? the forum is full of them. I really want to understand.

Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/25/2019 at 7:11 PM, LaserCap said:

What you need is to keep the area clean.  You need a non-abrasive shampoo, (no alcohol).  Baby shampoo will do the trick.

A week of using all the minerals, vitamins and antioxidants is going to do nothing for your transplants.  The head is quite vascular...you're getting all you need. Don't waste your money. I would rather see you invest in a medical regimen to help you with retention of the native hair. (Propecia, Rogaine, laser).

Did they do PRP at the time of the procedure?

On 9/26/2019 at 10:53 AM, DrTBarghouthi said:

Transplanted hair will grow without help if properly transplanted through the entire process. Nonetheless, the native hair needs good maintenance using what was discussed. A hair transplant is similar to having a “Hollywood smile” done at the dentist. You would still need to brush your teeth daily. 

On 9/26/2019 at 8:15 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Special shampoos and sprays in my opinion are useless. You don't need any lotions or pills for hair to grow. The grafts need to be kept clean and safe that's all.

How many times in a week can we shampoo considering there is good amount of dust in the environment? And as people say in Asia, oiling hair is good around 2-3 times a week. Is it really and if it is what is the good time for it, in the morning or at night?