Head covering immediately after surgery

I am getting HT in a few weeks and wonder what doctors have guys to cove their heads immediately after surgery. I have seen videos in which Dr. Nader has guys wear paper surgical caps home with instructions to remove it upon arrival. My guess is that he allows guys to put on on to go out. This guy wore a beanie over the surgical cap and looked completely presentable. Comments?

When I first did this, more than 10 years ago, my head was bandaged immediately after the procedure.  The next day the gauze was removed. 2nd procedure, the wrap was no longer used.  I guess they figured out that it was not needed after all.  3-4-5-6-7 procedure - no wrap.  You can now wear a cap, leaving a space between the head and the inside-top of the cap, (nothing touching the grafted area to avoid dislodging a graft).  

The way to avoid embarrassment is just tell them you had it done!

2 hours ago, LaserCap said:

When I first did this, more than 10 years ago, my head was bandaged immediately after the procedure.  The next day the gauze was removed. 2nd procedure, the wrap was no longer used.  I guess they figured out that it was not needed after all.  3-4-5-6-7 procedure - no wrap.  You can now wear a cap, leaving a space between the head and the inside-top of the cap, (nothing touching the grafted area to avoid dislodging a graft).  

The way to avoid embarrassment is just tell them you had it done!

You had seven procedures? Are you going to make a thread with your story ?

2 hours ago, LaserCap said:

I should!  Do you know I was the first person ever to have FUE done?  Small procedure of 100 grafts.  The machine back then looked like the ones typically used for spray painting.  

that could have been a very cool story to listen to or read. 

Can't recall exactly...I was working for Bosley at the time.  All the doctors came to Dallas. It was a big deal.  By then I'd had 3 FUT procedures, so that was my 4th....Only 100 grafts.  Strange feeling when compared to FUT.  To harvest, which they did from the side, felt as if they were drilling,  Sites and placement were exactly the same as in an FUT procedure.  It was nice not having sutures. In 3 days you were pretty much back to normal. No difference, by the way, in how the local was done.

I recall a couple of friends had a procedure the very same day. They left with the blue paper cap you are talking about. They came back to the clinic the very same day with a huge smile on their face.  They couldn't get there fast enough to tell me, when they arrived at the hotel, they were greeted by  staff..."hi doctors! you look so tired. let us upgrade your suite."  

Throughout my history in this industry...how many times have I heard...."I just hit my head when I was getting into the car."  So I don't think the cap is meant to protect anything surgery wise.....It is to remind you...you just had surgery! Be careful and mindful of the fact!

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2019 at 12:26 PM, JohnTinsley said:

I am getting HT in a few weeks and wonder what doctors have guys to cove their heads immediately after surgery. I have seen videos in which Dr. Nader has guys wear paper surgical caps home with instructions to remove it upon arrival. My guess is that he allows guys to put on on to go out. This guy wore a beanie over the surgical cap and looked completely presentable. Comments?

Hi John,

As mentioned here already, an over sized baseball hat would work fine. Just make sure that you carry a sterilizing spray with you to spray the inside of the hat before putting it on (just in case the HT Clinic does not provide you with a sterilized hat and you end up wearing your own). The Clinic should be able to demonstrate for you how to put the hat on and take it off. You do want to make sure that the fabric of the hat is not rubbing harshly against your planted grafts. I suggest that you keep sterilizing the inside of the hat every time you put it on. 

I wish you all the best with your upcoming HT.

Regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.