Dr. Blake Bloxham: FUE Hairline Case Results | 1,500 Grafts | Feller & Bloxham Medical, NY, NYC, LI

Hi Everyone, 

Today's presentation is a nice little FUE hairline case. The patient is a gentleman in his late 30's with otherwise excellent hair aside from some classic hairline thinning. He was set on FUE and initially wanted to go very aggressive in the front. After reviewing everything, we decided the most natural, strategic approach was to start a little more conservative. So, we did a 1,500 graft case to rebuild his hairline. I removed all the grafts manually using a 0.9mm Feller Medical Punch (a punch Dr. Feller patented many years ago). Extraction went very well. I saw the patient back 12 months later, and both he and I were very pleased with the results. Since he grew well with the FUE and the back seemed to heal up nicely, we decided to do a little more and close in the corners a bit. I will update with the results of this second procedure in the future. 

Here are a few "teaser" comparison shots with both dry and wet hair. As usual, I include only a few of these because I encourage all researching patients to watch the result video, which features both educational content and a much more detailed "comb-through" of the results. 

1565801847_07623985comp.thumb.jpg.c77ccea50dfe6e66fd735a93e86b183f.jpg

1422465387_07643987comp.thumb.jpg.411abfd8e9f327406011ee88f577e4c3.jpg

1696272978_07653989comp.thumb.jpg.ba181769ea2784ee49570691bfc14ee4.jpg

1592043457_07673990comp.thumb.jpg.0a41bedfd8fe751032f0c30b0949d927.jpg

1440946813_07723971comp.thumb.jpg.13680b9e1da255b3baa749b4ecd10ed8.jpg

119838368_07753975comp.thumb.jpg.957941b1f3943b3fb494e63100dfc3e4.jpg

And here is the video: 

Thank you for reviewing. Look forward to the upcoming discussion. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham 

Feller & Bloxham Medical

www.fellermedical.com

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

53 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Great work Dr Bloxham, looks natural and donor looks good as well.

Since you did the FUE manually, was this a 1-day session for the 1,500 grafts or over several?

Thank you for the kind words. 

I did this patient in one (long) sitting. Since then, I have actually switched to only doing 500 - 800 manual FUE grafts in a sitting. For any decent size case, I break it up into multiple sittings. I feel like doing it this way allows me to take that nice, meticulous manual approach without feeling rushed and resorting to speed over quality, and it also greatly reduces graft out of body time. 

Thanks for good question. 

• Like 1

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

21 minutes ago, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

I did this patient in one (long) sitting. Since then, I have actually switched to only doing 500 - 800 manual FUE grafts in a sitting. For any decent size case, I break it up into multiple sittings. I feel like doing it this way allows me to take that nice, meticulous manual approach without feeling rushed and resorting to speed over quality, and it also greatly reduces graft out of body time. 

Thanks for good question. 

You’re welcome and thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I figured that for that amount of grafts doing so with manual extraction would be very tedious and tiring so it absolutely makes sense that you’ve since adopted to splitting up such type sessions.

Looking forward to seeing the update on 2nd procedure from this patient!

Do you use the "stick and place" technique when performing fue cases?

Also do you charge the same as Dr. Feller for FUE, which is if I recall correctly something like 10 dollars per graft.

Also, what is the best way to contact you? I admire your work!

Edited by ItHasToLookNatural

Nice work Dr. Bloxham.  Looks very good.  Wow....Dr. Feller may be $10 per graft?  He produces very nice results but It still amazes me the disparity of costs per graft from excellent surgeons on this network.  I’m used to $4-5 per graft with every graft extracted and inserted by the surgeon.  I’m not trying to be critical because I’m a free-market capitalist.  So...good luck to those surgeons charging quite a bit per graft.  Glad we have a wide range of surgeons to pick from on this site.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Funny how much a clean and "solid" hairline seems to impact appearance. As you noted, the patient has quite a bit of hair everywhere else, but that eroded look right at the front kept drawing my gaze. Very different story in the after images.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:28 AM, CosmoKramer said:

You’re welcome and thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I figured that for that amount of grafts doing so with manual extraction would be very tedious and tiring so it absolutely makes sense that you’ve since adopted to splitting up such type sessions.

Looking forward to seeing the update on 2nd procedure from this patient!

It absolutely is a lot of work. But, I believe it is worth doing. I really do think true manual FUE done slowly and meticulously like this gives the grafts the best chance. However, this does not mean there are not other good ways of doing it that may suit some patients well, and I am always up for trying new devices and techniques. 

On 8/10/2019 at 3:16 AM, jj51702 said:

What would you say your survival percentages are between fut and fue?

I have heard most doctors quote 5-15% difference between FUT and FUE. I honestly think it is a little higher. Probably 20-25% on average. The best way to honestly describe the "difference" is in terms of variability. FUE is simply more variable. Some patients just have the right characteristics for it and their grafts will accept a little more excitement, and others simply will not. Some people grow excellent with it and you can barely tell the difference between FUT and FUE, whereas others get decreased yield and some even character changes to the hairs themselves. The trick is screening and being able to stop the case or recommend switching to a different method if you do not believe it is going well. And still even then, sometimes it all seems to go well and still just does not grow as well as I believe it would have with a strip. 

On 8/11/2019 at 5:22 AM, ItHasToLookNatural said:

Do you use the "stick and place" technique when performing fue cases?

Also do you charge the same as Dr. Feller for FUE, which is if I recall correctly something like 10 dollars per graft.

Also, what is the best way to contact you? I admire your work!

I typically make the incisions and then place the grafts. Sometimes "stick and place" if there are unanticipated grafts or if I want to very carefully beef up the density in a specific area. 

FUE is $8-10 a graft at our office. 

You can use the consultation feature through the site here or obtain our contact information from our website. 

On 8/11/2019 at 8:16 AM, JohnCasper said:

Nice work Dr. Bloxham.  Looks very good.  

Hi John, 

On 8/14/2019 at 4:47 AM, Dr. Sal said:

Looks great Dr. Bloxham!

Thanks! 

35 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Funny how much a clean and "solid" hairline seems to impact appearance. As you noted, the patient has quite a bit of hair everywhere else, but that eroded look right at the front kept drawing my gaze. Very different story in the after images.

Good observation. Sometimes these little "tweaks" can make such a difference. And framing the face with hairline work is always key. 

Incredibly natural result. Well done. The wet video is impossible to fake. Should be standard for all results presented by all clinics on these forums. Would be an eye opener I think.

Question: once you extract the FUE graphs, do your techs do any sort of "trimming" of those graphs before implantation? Cut away exessive tissue from the graphs in order to make it easier to implant with density. 

And finally, if you do NOT do any trimming of graphs in FUE, you do that in FUT, right? 

12 hours ago, jonzi said:

Incredibly natural result. Well done. The wet video is impossible to fake. Should be standard for all results presented by all clinics on these forums. Would be an eye opener I think.

Question: once you extract the FUE graphs, do your techs do any sort of "trimming" of those graphs before implantation? Cut away exessive tissue from the graphs in order to make it easier to implant with density. 

And finally, if you do NOT do any trimming of graphs in FUE, you do that in FUT, right? 

I am very big on comb-through video. Particularly wet comb-through video. As you said before, there is simply no way to "fake it." It is honestly not the most flattering way to present a hair transplant, but I do believe it is the most honest. Potential patients need to know what they are getting themselves into if they chose the transplant route. If they watch a video where the transplants are soaking wet and being combed back and they like what they see, pretty good chance they will be happy with the outcome of a good transplant. If they do not, then maybe it is not for them and they just saved themselves time, money, and stress. 

Yes, we trim the grafts under microscopes. The same scopes we use in all of our FUT procedures and by the same technicians (the members of the staff cross-trained for FUE specifically). The grafts are reviewed to make sure they grossly look okay (twice, actually), properly identified, and trimmed up. 

And yes, we absolutely trim all the grafts in FUT as well.