Thinning behind transplants in frontal third

Hi guys,

Some might remember me from my posts on this forum 3-4 years ago. Overall in a better place than where I was but have never been completely  happy with my repair work. The hairline looks good from the front but I still think there is significant weakness on one side of my forlock area in the frontal third that I would one day like to get addressed.

Any thoughts on how many grafts might be required & risk of shock loss? After what I went through back in 2015 I am ultra cautious of shock loss leading to repeat procedures.

Cheers.

August 2019.jpg

Edited by Mikey1970

Yes. Fin, Minox foam, lasercap. I was an early receder (18 years old), really slowed the loss down with a good coal tar shampoo ( Ionil T)...first HT at 33, now 48. 

Really blame my initial surgeon for my frontal 3rd thinning. His agenda seemed to be to keep me committed to a series of small procedures always leaving something minor to fix. The last "touch up" for only 30 grafts he aggressively stuck the needle into the major artery which runs from the nose up to the forehead in the middle of my front hairline. Three months after that i lost a chunk of hair overnight from the  forelock area. 

Eventually had a repair job with another surgeon that undoubtedly has improved it.

Edited by Mikey1970

I would say from an aerial view, most men's post HT eventually looks something like this.

if you are tall/decent height, its very hard to see this unless direct sunlight or when you are sitting with lights above you.

still, if you need to fix this - minor touchup with 1000 grafts should suffice but with a very experienced surgeon

or hair fibers/ dermmatch for life could hide this easily 

or try PRP and lots of coconut oil massaging, it should rejuvenate some folicles to fill these areas 

or just grow your hair longer so they could easily cover these areas ( depends on your hair style ) but sides should be very short and center should be very long for you to easily create that illusion..... 

overall, you seem to have good thick hair caliber so its an easy fix for you in my opinion :)

good luck 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hey Mikey,

Glad to see you back mate, it's been a long time. I would wait a bit more before undergoing surgery again. I do see there is slight thinning.This area looks small and probably requires a couple hundred grafts. Is the risk worth the reward? If I were you I would use a dab of toppik or dermmatch and call it a day.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You can certainly give PRP a go. I've never heard of it causing shock loss although an effluvium shed is possible. I'd make sure to only consider doctors with good PRP results though and don't get taken in by med spas or people offering it on the cheap. Mine was done by Dr. Arocha. Dr. Cooley has also shown some strong results. Dr. Greco in Sarasota was the first to offer the procedure as far as I'm aware. There are others, but do your research. I'd recommend only opting for PRP with some kind of extra growth matrix like Acell.

Thanks for the response guys.

It is a minor aggravation only & from front on it isn't visible. I live in Australia so a likely overseas visit for a touch up HT or PRP if I do something. The surgeon that did my repair work was okay but I was disappointed he didn't nail the result I was looking for given the price I paid. Perhaps I will contact him again or do you think a new surgeon would be interested in a small job like this? 

I see Dr Laorwong in Thailand is now recommended by this forum - that appeals more than travelling half way around the world to me but I would do it if I had too.

Cant seem to find my original posts on this forum "Shock Loss. A warning against repeat procedures", but my experience has certainly opened my eyes to the ruthlessness of this industry and nothing is more important than trust in the surgeon.

Edited by Mikey1970