Waiting lists.

I've always read that basically, waiting lists more-or-less are a good gauge on a practices surgeons, and overall reputation.

Though, recently, when I inquired with a couple of very well known, and respected clinics, I was able to be fit in within 1-2 months. 

For instance, H & W have very good availability in very short amounts of time - does anyone know if they've upped their clients per day?

It seems as though, dependent on your surgery, long wait lists aren't indicative of a clinic's production. 

Interesting topic!

Apart from the actual medical and surgical aspects of running a hair restoration clinic (surgeries, consultations, follow ups etc), waiting list management is a true operational process. It is not easy to manage it , maintain it and even more importantly control it. While a very long waiting list can mean that a practice is busy, it can also mean that the doctor is away for extended periods (whether he or she has commitments in different cities, or meetings etc), or simply has certain days of the week booked for surgeries only (which pushes the waiting times longer). Nonetheless, while some clients are encouraged to book because of the long waiting list (buying a Ferrari), what you dont know is that we often lose some other clients because of that. 

So managing the waiting list is an administrative skill. Some clinics can maintain the same load but have a more managed waiting list by being more dynamic about working days, hours, seasonal changes, offering price incentives based on cancellations and even in some cases having incentives for far away dates and keep the ones closer at the normal price.

So in Summary, a long waiting list will mean that a practice is busy ofcourse, but a reasonable waiting list could mean that they are efficient in managing it. Ofcourse provided that they maintain the same level of service.   

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Moderators

I never felt  that waiting list time was a good indicator of how good the Dr is. Hassson and Wong, for example, has two Drs performing transplants in one location. Therefore, even if they each limit themselves to one patient per day, they are still able to do twice as many transplants as a clinic with one Dr doing one per day. It seems reasonable that the clinic with one Dr will have a longer waiting list. There's also marketing. A clinic with an ongoing two month waiting list may feel like they can slow down on the marketing, so that they don't get so backed up, while another clinic even with a one year waiting list may, for some reason, keep pushing the marketing. The clinic with a long waiting list may also only perform surgeries 3 days per week while other clinics may be doing them 5 days per week. There are simply too many variables to determine that a long waiting list means that the clinic does better work or is more prestigious.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I am aware of a clinic, (no longer around), that did surgery 4 times per month. They would tell the patients they were full the rest of the month.  It did create value, particularly for those 4 days, and thus creating a waiting list.  The surgical schedule was always full. But this was also a double edge sword.  Imagine if a patient cancelled at the last minute!  The worse part is the fact that the staff ends up being deceptive.  Further, the clinical staff is not working.  Days off do have an overall effect of the quality of the work.  To be exceptional in this position, it requires daily work.  Practice does make perfect.  The sad thing is that the patient has no idea about any of this.  For the consultant, hope and pray the results will be good down the road and avoid a problem patient.

@LaserCapwow that is some really risky move, especially in this time. I agree that staff can get deskilled quickly of they dont get the volume they need. That’s not even considering the boredom they go through!

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Certainly a long waiting list is not a bad indication.

And the more established larger clinics have more re-schedules and cancellations which open up times that were previously booked.

Edited by gillenator

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY