A very senior dermatologist with grade 7 baldness of 54 years age was evaluated by us for hair restoration. His donor area was limited but the density was good. Also, as expected the beard was great as inversely related to the baldness. 
We completed the procedure over two sittings in a gap of one year. 

First sitting: Over three days 

Total grafts: 7630 (Scalp: 3760, Beard: 3900)

After a very encouraging result of the first sitting, we thought to lower the hairline by 1 cm and increase the density of the crown and the parietal(hump) areas.

Second sitting: Over one day
Total grafts: 3500 (Scalp: 1500, Beard: 2000)

Total of 11,130 grafts were planted which not only changed the look but also the fortune of the doctor and he shifted his practice from dermatology to Hair restoration!

t6uy.jpg

sdf.jpg

as.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 8.41.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 8.jpg

erge.jpg

6r75.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 8.40.29 PM.png

ADSad.jpg

adfaq.jpg

dfg.jpg

Edited by Dr. Sethi & Dr. Bansal
  • Like 1

lol dam this guy had 6k beard graphs available? that sounds incredible. also since beard hair is usually much thicker than scalp  i don't get why he doesn't have more coverage for nearly 6k beard graphs and 11k graph total even starting out norwood 7?

for me 6k beard graphs would equal like 12k scalp graphs since my beard thickness is like 2x my scalp

Edited by BlessUp

35 minutes ago, BlessUp said:

lol dam this guy had 6k beard graphs available? that sounds incredible. also since beard hair is usually much thicker than scalp  i don't get why he doesn't have more coverage for nearly 6k beard graphs and 11k graph total even starting out norwood 7?

for me 6k beard graphs would equal like 12k scalp graphs since my beard thickness is like 2x my scalp

Usually, the beard grafts available in advanced baldness are more. To us, beard is from side locks to cheeks, chin and also in extended neck area. If the punch size chosen is small and enough experience is there in handling different skin types then a lot of grafts can be extracted. We being dermatologists have  an advantage of knowing  the behaviour of the skin better and handling accordingly. In most of the cases, baring very few cases, we don't go beyond beard to get more grafts for the coverage. We always target of giving an artistic, cosmetically acceptable density and coverage of the total bald area, in most of the patients, as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, BlessUp said:

I myself had more than 5,000 beard grafts planted on my scalp, and I still have few thousand more grafts to spare. Remember full head of hair has around 100,000 hairs, and 11,000 grafts = 10-11% of those total number of grafts, and to achieve this result and such thickness in an advanced Norwood grade alopecia case with such exceptionally great cosmetic outcome is only possible in few hands, and hands down Dr. Sethi and Dr. Bansal are incredibly talented doctors who take on such high Norwood cases and come out with such amazing results. Great case!, congratulations again.

Edited by harin

My Thread: 

Congratulations on a very good result and the patient will be thrilled but I dispute he was a NW7. I would say he was a 6 and you could make a (weak) case for NW5.5 to be honest. That does not detract from the result at all and it was still a tricky high NW case but I just don't think he was a 7.

5 hours ago, Dr. Sethi & Dr. Bansal said:

Usually, the beard grafts available in advanced baldness are more. To us, beard is from side locks to cheeks, chin and also in extended neck area. If the punch size chosen is small and enough experience is there in handling different skin types then a lot of grafts can be extracted. We being dermatologists have  an advantage of knowing  the behaviour of the skin better and handling accordingly. In most of the cases, baring very few cases, we don't go beyond beard to get more grafts for the coverage. We always target of giving an artistic, cosmetically acceptable density and coverage of the total bald area, in most of the patients, as much as possible. 

Hello

few questions:

Are all doctors at eugenix certified dermatologists?

are beard grafts all mainly 1-hair grafts?

does having a very thick beard always foreshadow advanced alopecia?

do the doctors at eugenix perform surgery at all of your several locations?

thanks

9 hours ago, harin said:

I myself had more than 5,000 beard grafts planted on my scalp, and I still have few thousand more grafts to spare. Remember full head of hair has around 100,000 hairs, and 11,000 grafts = 10-11% of those total number of grafts, and to achieve this result and such thickness in an advanced Norwood grade alopecia case with such exceptionally great cosmetic outcome is only possible in few hands, and hands down Dr. Sethi and Dr. Bansal are incredibly talented doctors who take on such high Norwood cases and come out with such amazing results. Great case!, congratulations again.

Thank you for the maths of the hair numbers on scalp!

7 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

Congratulations on a very good result and the patient will be thrilled but I dispute he was a NW7. I would say he was a 6 and you could make a (weak) case for NW5.5 to be honest. That does not detract from the result at all and it was still a tricky high NW case but I just don't think he was a 7.

Thank you for the appreciation. The Norwood scale is not very objective sometimes! It has some pitfalls as well. We are writing down one very objective way of evaluating a bald case, which will be also effective for evaluating the results of the transplantation. (Under the process of scientific publication.)

In the index case, there was extreme baldness possible on the scalp. And the baldness was static for more than 25 years. Some people use the presence of hump as a marker to differentiate grade 6 from grade 7. I am more clinical than theoretical in approaching a case.

On 12/10/2018 at 9:35 AM, jj51702 said:

Hello

few questions:

thanks

Answers: 

Ans: We have 4 doctors at present who perform the procedures; Dr Arika Bansal, Dr Pradeep Sethi,  Dr Priyadarshini Das is qualified MBBS doctor who now assists the procedures.

Ans: Yes, they all are mainly singles. But you can find few doubles at the angle of the mandible and the side locks. Some guys really have more doubles on multiple areas on the beard.

Ans: The male hormone which is directly involved in the baldness is also directly involved in giving beard and moustache. If some one is having an advanced grade of baldness, he usually has a thick beard, as the male hormone is highly effective in both the areas. 

That means, if someone has got a very thick beard in his youth then there is a chance that his baldness would be of high grade and rapid in progression, if at all his genetic predisposition initiates his baldness. 

Ans: Yes, we do travel to do the surgeries at all our locations!

I hope I could answer all your questions. Please let me know if you have got more queries to be answered.

Dr Pradeep Sethi, MD

www.eugenix.in

https://www.eugenix.in/videos.html

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, BlessUp said:

i don't get why he doesn't have more coverage for nearly 6k beard graphs and 11k graph total even starting out norwood 7?

Beard grafts are mainly single hair grafts, while scalp grafts consist of many 2 and 3 hair grafts, so even though the beard hairs may be thicker, the coverage may be better with the same number of scalp grafts due to scalp grafts having more hairs.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

2 hours ago, Dr. Sethi & Dr. Bansal said:

Thank you for the appreciation. The Norwood scale is not very objective sometimes! It has some pitfalls as well. We are writing down one very objective way of evaluating a bald case, which will be also effective for evaluating the results of the transplantation. (Under the process of scientific publication.)

In the index case, there was extreme baldness possible on the scalp. And the baldness was static for more than 25 years. Some people use the presence of hump as a marker to differentiate grade 6 from grade 7. I am more clinical than theoretical in approaching a case.

Thanks for the reply. My friend is from the region and looking for a transplant. I recommended Dr Bhatti to him but will tell him to check you out too in the coming weeks.

3 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Beard grafts are mainly single hair grafts, while scalp grafts consist of many 2 and 3 hair grafts, so even though the beard hairs may be thicker, the coverage may be better with the same number of scalp grafts due to scalp grafts having more hairs.

True. Scalp hair are always better than beard hair on any day, if available.