Managing expectations and hair greed

• Administrators

Hello fellow follicularly challenged forum members,

Im creating this thread, because managing our expectations is as important as selecting a good surgeon. This forum was created by patients and for patients. 

After 3 surgeries, I find myself wanting more, but at what point do we have diminishing returns? We want just one more strip or one more FUE that can severely compromise our donor and scalp, in most cases for a small touch up or added density. 

We mustn’t lose sight of where we came and how far we’ve come. Unfortunately, surgery has its limitations and until hair cloning is an option, we have to accept that our donor hair is finite. We will never get back the hair we once had as teenagers, but we can get back the “illusion”. I for one am grateful for the results I’ve been able to achieve. Do I have a perfect head of hair? Absolutely not, but is it a huge improvement from what I had? Absolutely. 

1D44AE0B-FC82-4AEE-8ACA-E2EF4245D2DA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

As  high NW before my transplant  I relate to your journey Melvin , hair greed is real but we sometimes need to take stock and realise how far we have come ,your hair looks great , I sometimes think we are our harshest  critics, most people don't look that closely  anyway ,in the first pic you are a bald guy ,in the second pic you are a guy with a good head of hair, as simple as that.

Edited by Mick50
  • Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Payam said:

Not sure i understand Melvin, where do you want more? Your hair is what i hoped for before i did my transplant, where could it be improved

Well near my crown it is a little thin, like I said my hair is far from perfect. But I’ve made huge progress. We can’t expect perfection from hair restoration alone. There will always be room for improvement. 

Day to day I use toppik, so if you were to see me on the street, you’d think I’ve been blessed with an amazing head of hair. But I just do what I can with what I got. 

CF3050E0-5E87-4015-8470-0FB143AAF5D0.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Well near my crown it is a little thin, like I said my hair is far from perfect. But I’ve made huge progress. We can’t expect perfection from hair restoration alone. There will always be room for improvement. 

Day to day I use toppik, so if you were to see me on the street, you’d think I’ve been blessed with an amazing head of hair. But I just do what I can with what I got. 

CF3050E0-5E87-4015-8470-0FB143AAF5D0.jpeg

I see, yes perfection is rare and mostly unattainable, all we can hope for is a decent yield, really envious of your front thickness and a few sprinkles of magic dust will have you set. I bet it's not even needed when your hair is slicked back.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Payam said:

I see, yes perfection is rare and mostly unattainable, all we can hope for is a decent yield, really envious of your front thickness and a few sprinkles of magic dust will have you set. I bet it's not even needed when your hair is slicked back.

If i slick it back no, but I’ve been styling my hair differently. My point is, even after three surgeries I still use concealer to achieve my desired look. Some can view this as a failure, but I don’t view it that way. It’s all about perspective.  

Heres my hair styled and that part sprinkled with toppik.

A6380AF6-121A-4E0C-BB76-81EE7A8D7748.jpeg

• Thanks 1

View my thread

Melvin,  that is a very nice yield.  Some patients even when toppik is sprinkled cant even get such a result and it would look unnatural.  Your hair really looks good  without it and is angled in a very professional manner.  Considering the area that was covered for you and number if grafts it looks quite natural.  I do understand your quest for grafts near the crown area.  After that I think you wouldn’t have to worry much.  Some folks who had higher grafts in smaller recipient zone ratio have not achieved such a result.  The doctor did a great job and no doubt it suits you really well.  You look great man.  Congrats and definitely wish you well for your next journey.  I hope I will be able to style it like you one day.  It’s the type of hairstyle i always wanted and wanted to achieve.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Sean said:

Melvin,  that is a very nice yield.  Some patients even when toppik is sprinkled cant even get such a result and it would look unnatural.  Your hair really looks good  without it and is angled in a very professional manner.  Considering the area that was covered for you and number if grafts it looks quite natural.  I do understand your quest for grafts near the crown area.  After that I think you wouldn’t have to worry much.  Some folks who had higher grafts in smaller recipient zone ratio have not achieved such a result.  The doctor did a great job and no doubt it suits you really well.  You look great man.  Congrats and definitely wish you well for your next journey.  I hope I will be able to style it like you one day.  It’s the type of hairstyle i always wanted and wanted to achieve.  

Thanks Sean, 

Please reach out to me, if there is something I can do to help I will. 

My main goal of this thread, was to show that even the best transplants have vulnerabilities. I agree with everything you said, I am beyond happy especially considering where I was, but some patients simply aren’t realistic. Like I said before we don’t sell transplants here, if by showing my weaknesses desuade some individuals than those are the individuals who shouldn’t get a hair transplant.

View my thread