1 month countdown

Hey all

I am scheduled to do a 2000 graft FUE procedure in exactly one month. My doctor is Nadimi (Konior’s associate at Chicago Hair Institute) and I am super excited. 

Im a fairly advanced case- NW5A- so I am not expecting to walk out with Brad Pitt hair. But I like to think that it’ll make a big difference especially with such a talented surgeon!

question: what can I do between now and then to make sure I’m in tip top shape and maximize my outcome ??

- I am on Finasteride and Rogaine (which honestly doesn’t seem to do much!)- I’m assumint I should keep taking both?

- any thoughts on supplements? Viviscal?

- any specific diets I should follow?

- any exercises that I should/shouldn’t do?

the clinic will send a guideline in the next few weeks, but I would love to get my ducks in a row regardless.

Thanks!!

• Administrators

Honestly, you’re already doing everything to maximize the result. Taking finasteride and minoxidil together is good. No diet or supplements will really change anything, obviously make sure you don’t have any vitamin deficiencies, you could take a multi vitamin for that. MSM could be beneficial, but not enough evidence exists to know for sure. Basically, it comes down to how the grafts will be placed. With a talented surgeon 2,000 grafts will make a difference, but obviously on a NW5 you will require more surgeries to achieve a desired appearance. 

Warmest regards- Melvin

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Melvin what’s MSM?

what are your thoughts on Viviscal or “help hair shake”- a drink supposedly aimed at helping hair growth? The latter was recommended to me by Jerry Cooley’s office

Edited by HarryHonolulu

I hate Rogaine. For me it’s a once a day treatment. I use the foam but I sill really don’t like it. Konior’s clinic is incredible. That’s the best thing you have going. I also take .5 Avodart. 

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

14 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

I would really like to see the plan for a NW5 wth 2000 FU. Seems really a low # of FU even with an open crown.

The plan is to address the frontal area in the first surgery- maybe a little of the mid scalp if possible. I don’t want to lower my hairline- just fill as much as possible. Later I will prob get another 2000 to address the rest.

my main concern was to go with a conservative approach and avoid FUT

Konior suggested 2000 FUE and I trust his opinion

• Administrators
2 hours ago, HarryHonolulu said:

Melvin what’s MSM?

what are your thoughts on Viviscal or “help hair shake”- a drink supposedly aimed at helping hair growth? The latter was recommended to me by Jerry Cooley’s office

MSM is a sulfur compound found in foods, it is used as a supplement typically to treat inflammation, but anecdotal evidence suggests that it can make healthy hair stronger and potentially aid in the grafts growing quicker. Not enough evidence exists to back these claims besides anecdotal evidence online. But it can’t hurt to try since it’s cheap and safe to take, again the shake is probably safe to take, I have never heard of it so I don’t know if it works or not, but if Dr. Cooley can provide you some evidence then it couldn’t hurt to try. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, HarryHonolulu said:

I don’t want a scar that will essentially mark me for life.

Too right, I have an old strip scar that I’ve spent loads on covering up but you can still see the thing! With hindsight I would never of done it.

4 hours ago, Sparky said:

Too right, I have an old strip scar that I’ve spent loads on covering up but you can still see the thing! With hindsight I would never of done it.

Thanks for confirming that my instincts in this are correct, Sparky. I’m only 36. If 2000 grafts make me happy, I’ll get 2000 more in the future. Take it step by step. 

I imagine I will still have to use Caboki (thy holy powder of the gods) but I am fine with it. A little dusting of the crown isn’t a big deal to me. 

Judging from my clinic’s work I don’t have any doubt it will be elegant and natural (unlike lots of heavy makeovers) and that’s what I’m going for

5 hours ago, HarryHonolulu said:

Thanks for confirming that my instincts in this are correct, Sparky. I’m only 36. If 2000 grafts make me happy, I’ll get 2000 more in the future. Take it step by step. 

I imagine I will still have to use Caboki (thy holy powder of the gods) but I am fine with it. A little dusting of the crown isn’t a big deal to me. 

Judging from my clinic’s work I don’t have any doubt it will be elegant and natural (unlike lots of heavy makeovers) and that’s what I’m going for

Sounds like a great plan of action, my strip was in 1998 so Pre fue really, but if I were to do it now I wouldn’t get strip at all. Some people don’t mind the scar and that’s fine but I’d rather it wasn’t there.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Sounds like a great plan of action, my strip was in 1998 so Pre fue really, but if I were to do it now I wouldn’t get strip at all. Some people don’t mind the scar and that’s fine but I’d rather it wasn’t there.

Thanks Sparky. Do you think 2000 fue will make a difference?

94E2BB71-BBC9-4EF4-8598-C9275AC9F8A5.jpeg

FD1AE3DC-948C-4A10-A276-C889B4BAF162.jpeg

C01EC6DC-455B-4FAF-AC76-5F30E49A89EA.jpeg

2DE550C6-EDBF-41A0-A644-CF496C04AD61.jpeg

F804E63F-3DFE-4127-9235-7A6E971F1F9F.jpeg

I like the work from Konior and I like the limited work I have seen from his protege Nadimi.

But: I have to say that I think 2000 FU is very low for the goal you mentioned (frontal third and mid scalp). The approach from Nadimi/Konior propobly doesn't allow more than that, but I still would try to get another opinion from a clinic who does more FUE in a single session. Also, I would try to get a pre-op consult with the recipient drawn on your head. Just to make sure, that in the end you are not disappointed. At the day of the surgery, everyone is very nervous and it is hard to make a objective judgment.

12 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

I like the work from Konior and I like the limited work I have seen from his protege Nadimi.

But: I have to say that I think 2000 FU is very low for the goal you mentioned (frontal third and mid scalp). The approach from Nadimi/Konior propobly doesn't allow more than that, but I still would try to get another opinion from a clinic who does more FUE in a single session. Also, I would try to get a pre-op consult with the recipient drawn on your head. Just to make sure, that in the end you are not disappointed. At the day of the surgery, everyone is very nervous and it is hard to make a objective judgment.

I would rather get 2 smaller surgeries, and play it safe both in terms of donor region and scarring, rather than go with a clinic who does more grafts but is not as aesthetically minded.

Regardless, I trust Konior and Nadimi’s judgement and if they are recommending that number of grafts, that’s what I feel comfortable with. Period.

I understand that and I chose a kind of simliar approach. Actually, I was even more conservative with only 400+ FU in my first session. However, trust is good, but opinions from different angles and a clear plan beforehand are better in my opinion.

Obviously you think otherwise and therefore I wish you all the best. Based on what we know so far, you chose a talented surgeon and can expect a grest outcome. Best of luck.

P.S. I assume this is 2000 FUE in two days, correct? 2000 is a lot for such a type of clinic in a single day.

Edited by Gasthoerer

46 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I wouldn’t do more than 2000 fue in one day, you don’t want them to be rushing, stick with your plan.

I agree on the rushing. I think how long a procedure takes is more relevant to a quality job than how much you paid. I had 1700 FUE in just under 8 hours, apart from a short break of maybe 15-20 mins it was all go with the surgeon and 3 tech's.

3 hours ago, Jacks0n said:

I agree on the rushing. I think how long a procedure takes is more relevant to a quality job than how much you paid. I had 1700 FUE in just under 8 hours, apart from a short break of maybe 15-20 mins it was all go with the surgeon and 3 tech's.

I don’t have a choice either way. Konior’s clinic caps FUE at 2000, regardless of how many day.

how did your surgery turn out? What Norwood were you?

2 minutes ago, HarryHonolulu said:

I don’t have a choice either way. Konior’s clinic caps FUE at 2000, regardless of how many day.

how did your surgery turn out? What Norwood were you?