Frontal hairline transplant or hairline lowering?

Hello everyone

I am a 19-year-old man from Denmark who naturally has a high hairline. Throughout the years I have always wondered if there were any "treatments" to my problem. I therefore decided to contact a clininc in Denmark which offers frontal hairline transplant but they told me that I was too young.

Therefore I started looking into other options. Maybe I should have a hairline lowering surgery where some of the tissue in my forehead is removed? Would that be ideal for me?

Honestly I do not know what to do. I feel very uncomfortable having such a high hairline at my age. Please help me in the right direction! :(

1.thumb.jpg.f1414c8d577a7f2b262f0dcdf055115c.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.54a4f644984dd19203dbed0abff2a591.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.0d27acd4e52b31b5205060d75b757477.jpg

4.jpg.ae568add4c440d69f0b46127be0ea5ae.jpg

• Administrators

Hi Anon,

It seems this question was previously posted. As previously mentioned, you are to young for a hair transplant. Additionally, you would need to confirm that your hairline is in fact this naturally high or receding. As far as I can see there seems to be recession at the corners, which would indicate male pattern baldness (MPB). If this is the case, your best course of action is preventing further hair loss through the use of medication, finasteride and minoxidil. Can you post pictures of you as a child? I would be quite surprised if you had the same hairline as a child. All signs point to MPB but again a hair transplant surgeon should make that diagnosis.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Sure I will find some pictures of me as I child. I have always had big head - even when I was little. I have always though that "my big head" was the reason why I had a big forehead. But then I heard about "naturally high hairline" and I thought something could be done to help me.

I know that I am too young to have a hair line transplant but I am also looking for other options.

I found Facial Plastic Surgeon Dr. Gal Aharonov Facial Filler Expert and Rhinoplasty Surgeon and he is offering "forehead reduction-surgery" where some of the tissue in the forehead is removed I guess. From the pictures I have seen on the website it looks very promising.

• Administrators
Do you want to see my forehead or the entire face from when I was little? I am not too excited about posting pictures of myself on the internet to strangers, lol.

I completely understand, you can black out your face. The main thing we want to see is the hairline. I also had a big forehead as a child, however the hairline of a child is straight, your temples seem to be receding. A scalp reduction is a highly invasive procedure that if performed wrong can leave you disfigured for life. It also is not a viable option to treat Male Pattern Baldness (MPB), because MPB is progressive. This is the issue many men faced in the 80's when scalp reductions were popular. I would never recommend you get any sort of surgical procedure at the age of 19 especially a procedure as invasive as a scalp reduction. I would much prefer you get a hairline hair system.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

As I mentioned in my earlier thread, I do notice som recession in the temple areas but does this necessarily mean that I will become bald? No one in my family is.

I actually also thought about getting a toupe. It has become very popular in Denmark and today it is actually genuine hair and it looks absolutely great. Unfortunately the clinic told me that I have way too much have to use a toupe.

Here are also some pictures of me when I was a little child. I was so happy back then.. :(

• Administrators
As I mentioned in my earlier thread, I do notice som recession in the temple areas but does this necessarily mean that I will become bald? No one in my family is.

I actually also thought about getting a toupe. It has become very popular in Denmark and today it is actually genuine hair and it looks absolutely great. Unfortunately the clinic told me that I have way too much have to use a toupe.

Here are also some pictures of me when I was a little child. I was so happy back then.. :(

If you're experiencing hairline recession at the age of 19 than yes this is a sign of Male Pattern Baldness (MPB). I looked at the photos from you as a child, and your hairline was high, but it seems higher now and the temples have definitely receded. Your best course of action is to prevent further loss through medication. Additionally, the hair system I'm referencing isn't a full system, it would only be a partial hairline hair system; meaning it would blend in to the rest of your scalp. They have hairline and crown systems which blend in to the rest of the hair on your head.

View my thread

"Additionally, the hair system I'm referencing isn't a full system, it would only be a partial hairline hair system; meaning it would blend in to the rest of your scalp. They have hairline and crown systems which blend in to the rest of the hair on your head."

Are you talking about toupes now? The clinic told me that they offered hair extensions but that they weren't ideal as they would easily fall off or something like that.

Should I really start doing medication to prevent further hair loss?

Hi Anonym,

When I was your age I had a full head of hair. Today I am in my early 30s with a hair loss pattern resembling that of a Norwood 5 going on 6. This doesn't mean your hair loss pattern will be as aggressive as mine but you should nevertheless understand that you could continue to lose significantly more hair than you already have very quickly. Waiting it out for at least another 5 years is the smartest thing you could do at this point.

Does your father, brothers or grandparents have any hair loss?

Also, have you considered just wearing your hair down to cover up the receding temples?

Lycka till!

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

As I mentioned earlier my brother does not suffer from any hair loss but my father has lost some of his hair in the temple areas. More than I have at the current stage.

And yes I actually hide my forehead with some fringe "having my hair down my fore head" but I just dont like it and whenever it is windy outside I really don't feel like going out.

I am working at th moment and my friend always asks me: "hey you wanna go for a walk" and I actually would like that but I always refuse because most of the times it is quite windy here in Denmark :(

My mates also often ask me: "why don't use style your hair? and i'm like "..............." .. so frustrating. I know this is only a problem rich people like us living in the west are having but I really just hate my forehead and I just think it is so unfair.......

In regards to the question about my grandparents I can tell you that my grandfather on my mother's side did not suffer from any hair loss.

Unfortunately my father's father died when my father only was 5 years old so I have no idea.

• Administrators
"Additionally, the hair system I'm referencing isn't a full system, it would only be a partial hairline hair system; meaning it would blend in to the rest of your scalp. They have hairline and crown systems which blend in to the rest of the hair on your head."

Are you talking about toupes now? The clinic told me that they offered hair extensions but that they weren't ideal as they would easily fall off or something like that.

Should I really start doing medication to prevent further hair loss?

I am talking about partial lace hair system like the one in this video

In regards to the question about my grandparents I can tell you that my grandfather on my mother's side did not suffer from any hair loss.

Unfortunately my father's father died when my father only was 5 years old so I have no idea.

You do not always follow your immediate family's hair loss pattern. I will use myself as an example, my brother is 41 currently a Norwood 2, my father is 61 and is a Norwood 3. I was a Norwood 6 by the age of 30, my mothers father died at 90 with a full head of hair. Therefore, using your family may not be the best indicator. As I said, the best thing you can do is consult with a doctor in person who can diagnose whether or not you have Male Pattern Baldness (MPB).

View my thread

That looks very promising! Thank you very much.

"As I said, the best thing you can do is consult with a doctor in person who can diagnose whether or not you have Male Pattern Baldness (MPB)."

Do you mean a hair transplant doctor? In Denmark there are only two and the first clininc, as I mentioned in the beginning, did not want me to come to a consultation because they said it would be a waste of my time.

Or do you mean my doctor I go to when I am ill?

• Administrators
I would actually rather wear a "wig" or a toupe or whatever you want to call it instead of having a hair transplant or hairline lowering surgery. Hopefully this "lace hairline" will be the solution!!

That is the best option for you. Also, when I say go to a doctor I mean hair transplant surgeon. However, I do not mean consult with the doctor for surgery, simply consult with the doctor to confirm whether or not you’re suffering from Male Parttern Baldness (MPB). Best of luck to you.

Edited by Melvin-HTsoon

View my thread

Even if u get hairline lowering surgery u will still need to get a hair transplant later when ir hair recedes and reveal the scar .. that’s why that surgery is not recommended for guy .. girls are okay since they don’t recede on their hairline like guys .. I know about this because I wanted that surgery before myself since I have. Big forehead .. yeah ur best bet is taking Finasteride or minoxidil to retain what u have until u get older.. just got to comb ur hair in a way to where ur forehead isn’t being showcased like growing bangs .. that’s what I did ..

That is the best option for you, you can go on northwest lace forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable guys there that can direct you where to start. Also, when I say go to a doctor I mean hair transplant surgeon. However, I do not mean consult with the doctor for surgery, simply consult with the doctor to confirm whether or not you’re suffering from Male Parttern Baldness (MPB). Best of luck to you.

I am so thankful for you telling me about this. I actually think this is what I have been searching for all this time.

I have just seen some pictures of what a strip of hair can do to one persons facial appereance. Oh my god.

Thank you so much!!!

I haven’t taken the time to read all of the posts on this topic but I did want to respond with my own thoughts real fast. If you are not a good candidate for a hair transplant at 19 years old you are definitely not a good candidate for a hairline lowering procedure. A hairline lowering procedure is much more invasive and at 19 years old, there’s no guarantee that you’re not going to lose more hair which includes experiencing hairline recession. Even a hairline lowering procedure does not prevent or preclude you from losing more hair.

So the fact that you mentioned a hairline over procedure… Are you familiar with the process? The below link discusses the procedure for women but obviously the same procedure would apply to men. It’s just that mostly women get the procedure because they don’t usually experience the same type of hairline recession that men can.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Hair-Loss-Treatments/lowering-hairlines.asp

In my opinion, if you are experiencing hair loss, Propecia and Rogaine are your two best options. If you are not experiencing hair loss and only have a high for head at this time, you would be advised to wait several more years before considering a procedure whether it be surgical hair transplantation or hairline lowering.

Best wishes,

Bill