Thinning crown - what treatment is appropriate?

Hello!

I’ve just joined this network in the hope of a little guidance from people for knowledgeable on the topic than I!

I’ve noticed my hair around my Crown has started to thin out quite a lot recently and want to try to re-grow it but not sure what treatments are appropriate.

I’ve been using Alpecin Shampoo for a month now but Rogaine/Regaine is very expensive here in the UK and I wasn’t keen on making such a hefty investment in it when I don’t really know whether it will it even help me at such an early stage. Is it a lifetime investment after then also or can you go some time on/some time off to maintain your hair?

I’ve attached a picture of my crown. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

3528F8BB-59F1-47BC-AEE6-1247A4F26714.thumb.jpeg.7acd7f6b1ef36ca1bb7a48790728d666.jpeg

Hi Twentyfive,

Looking closely at your crown, unfortunately I would say there is some thinning going on.

You could give Finasteride (Propecia) a go, I have seen it work wonders in this area.

You will need a prescription from your GP and you should be able to pick up the generic version quite cheaply which works just as well judging from the results I have seen. There are associated side affects but in my experience they are rare.

You could carry on with the Minoxidil (Regaine), again you can pick up 3-6 months of Qgain from Ebay much cheaper than on the High Street. It contains the same Minoxidil ingredient.

Hopefully the meds will help you sustain your hair for a number of years yet as they have done for many others.

Feel free to contact me if you need any other advice.

Hi Twentyfive,

Looking closely at your crown, unfortunately I would say there is some thinning going on.

You could give Finasteride (Propecia) a go, I have seen it work wonders in this area.

You will need a prescription from your GP and you should be able to pick up the generic version quite cheaply which works just as well judging from the results I have seen. There are associated side affects but in my experience they are rare.

You could carry on with the Minoxidil (Regaine), again you can pick up 3-6 months of Qgain from Ebay much cheaper than on the High Street. It contains the same Minoxidil ingredient.

Hopefully the meds will help you sustain your hair for a number of years yet as they have done for many others.

Feel free to contact me if you need any other advice.

Thanks so much for the quick response!

I have sworn-off Finasteride/Propecia since it has been reported that some of the side effects have been long-lasting or even permenant even after stopping taking the drug in rare cases. I’d rather shave my head than take even a 0.1% chance of some of those effects being permenant.

That basically leaves me with Minoxidil, then. I’ve checked eBay on your advice and it does seem a little cheaper. Is it safe to buy from eBay though? Is there nowhere else you can get this chemical cheap?

MINOX only will most likely not be a mid/long term solution. Only FIN or sth similiar will help you in this regard. There is also the possibility that MINOX only increases the loss (permanent shedding). I would recommend that you give FIN a try. Side effects (especially permanent ones) are overstated.

I have sworn-off Finasteride/Propecia since it has been reported that some of the side effects have been long-lasting or even permenant even after stopping taking the drug in rare cases. I’d rather shave my head than take even a 0.1% chance of some of those effects being permenant.

That basically leaves me with Minoxidil, then. I’ve checked eBay on your advice and it does seem a little cheaper. Is it safe to buy from eBay though? Is there nowhere else you can get this chemical cheap?

Hi Twentyfive,

It's your call with the Finasteride, but like I said side effects are very rare. To put it in perspective, side effects from alcohol are much more prevalent yet most of us ignore these with little thought. It kind of makes you laugh.....

Its safe to buy from eBay, just check the sellers feedback , you have a lot of options.

Other places to buy the chemical cheap are abroad, if you know someone who's kind enough to take the time to bring you some back from their travels the better. Most of my UK guys stock up to the max when visiting India for surgery. When they run out, eBay is generally the preferred buying outlet.

Edited by Shera

Maybe that is the best drug for treating it but after reading this:

https://www.drugwatch.com/beyond-side-effects/chicago-man-taking-propecia-biggest-regret-life/

I can’t take the risk. That drug has completely ruined that dude’s life just to maintain his hair. If there’s even a 1 in a million chance of getting those effects I don’t get why anyone take it but I suppose some people are bigger risk takers so I can respect that!

Really appreciate the advice on getting the Minoxidil cheaper though!! Thanks!!

the internet and worriers are a bad combination.

Minoxidil is a shit drug, I've had 2 top docs tell me they advise their patients against using it. I've never seen anybody make significant strides and halt loss with minox for any relevant amount of time.That crown will continue to open up and the shampoos won't make any difference.If you're dead set on avoiding fin then you've little option but to continue waiting for it to get worse until it is far enough along in loss to get a transplant. That is the reality. You can head down the research chem route and spend a bunch of money there but I've talked to lots of those guys and they all end up asking for advice on which transplant doc to go see. So start saving up for a transplant is my advice or embrace shaving your head.

I felt the same way as you about Finasteride when l had as much hair as you do on my crown. Then l continued to lose my hair and quickly reconsidered Fin to (hopefully) prevent myself from developing a bald spot. Desperate times will call for desperate measures - trust me on that! Fortunately I have been responding well to Fin and l started about 2 months ago.

You have three options, four if you do nothing.

Treatment options are minoxidil, finasteride or a transplant.

That's what's on the table for you, you'll have to decide what you're willing to invest in, all three are promising for the crown.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I could deal with the risk of side effects but it is the risk of side effects being long-term or even permenant for some people even after they stop taking it that puts me off. If I get unlucky it could ruin my life. That’s a big risk!

Is it possible to do a sort of “3 months on, 3 months off” regime to keep your exposure to it down and minimise the risk of long term side effects?

I could deal with the risk of side effects but it is the risk of side effects being long-term or even permenant for some people even after they stop taking it that puts me off. If I get unlucky it could ruin my life. That’s a big risk!

Is it possible to do a sort of “3 months on, 3 months off” regime to keep your exposure to it down and minimise the risk of long term side effects?

There are many users on this forum who have their own regimes that they feel work for them. Some may miss a a day or two, some may halve the dosage etc.

I always advise new users to try it out for 2-3 weeks and monitor any changes they feel aren't quite right with their bodies. I think with most drugs it does take a few weeks for your body to get used to it, after all it is messing with your hormones. If after 2-3 weeks a patient doesn't feel right they have the option of halving the dosage, if issues persist then they will skip a day. If the patient still experiences unacceptable side effects then its probably for the best to stop usage.

I have been taking Finasteride myself for just over 3 years since Oct 2014 following my own surgery, I did cut down after a year switching to 1mg every 2-3 days, lately I have been taking it every other day. I believe it has delayed any more balding of my native hair and to date I don't think I've experienced any side effects.

Also, if I was to stop I would cut down gradually allowing my body to adapt rather than just stop. I know of many patients who take it periodically as you mention, again you will only find out if this works if you try it.

Edited by Shera

Several things I got from that piece. The guy was COINCIDENTALLY a lawyer. Second, the website seems like nothing more than a portal that points towards...wait for it.... a law firm to "help with your case". Huh....interesting.

I don't doubt that there are men who do have side effects. But it also seems like a lot of people are trying to jump on the gravy train.