What would you do in my situation?

I'll preface by saying it's a bit of a unique one and definitely what I would consider a first world problem, so not complaining just seeking others opinions. I've decided to go ahead with a HT with Dr Bisanga, so trying to decide the best time to do it. However timing wise I am currently 3 months into a 12 or so month travelling adventure overseas, currently riding a motorbike through Vietnam.

My ideal situation would be to get the procedure done and then when I go back to work mid to late 2018 the effects would pretty much be complete. Originally I was thinking of getting the procedure done in the new year in January. As I would be back home at that stage over the Christmas/New year holiday with my family. I could fly to Belgium have the op and recover at home for a few weeks, then head back out again. But now I'm not so sure, if there are any complications then I'm stuck at home, and the longer I'm at home the more money gets chewed up (I have a mortgage that still gets paid every month).

At the moment my hair is manageable styling wise, I can hide any receding hairline with some carefully planted hairspray and styling so it's not having a huge impact right now. Really not sure what to do, thoughts?

If you grew out your hair, with kind of a shady forward look, you shouldn't have any trouble hiding a hairline case with the density of your native hair.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

As a sense of perspective, any short-term indignations while your transplanted hair gradually grows in are worth it, the indignation is brief and quickly forgotten by the gradual progress towards a restoration.

No one will remember a few bad hair days you had as the change is so subtle, you yourself will look back at old pictures of yourself and be amazed by the transformation.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

As a sense of perspective, any short-term indignations while your transplanted hair gradually grows in are worth it, the indignation is brief and quickly forgotten by the gradual progress towards a restoration.

No one will remember a few bad hair days you had as the change is so subtle, you yourself will look back at old pictures of yourself and be amazed by the transformation.

So get it done earlier then ?

Whatever your native hair looks like is almost irrelevant, as you're seeking hair restoration because you're unhappy with your hair. That's the bottom line. If you can live with it how it is then that's a good way forward - if you aren't happy then whatever it looks like now is something you're aiming to leave behind.

You're in a fortunate situation with all of this time available to you and I would say grab the opportunity and go with it. A procedure in early 2018 would still leave you with at least 6 months and the majority of patients see a lot of growth during this period.

The only drawback would be that you will look a bit worse than when you started for a few months out of your travel time. Totally unavoidable. The difference between how you look now and how you look after the surgery will depend on how big the treated area is. I'm guessing you're going for FUE.

Basically, you're in an enviable position that most HT patients would kill for. You've chosen a great surgeon so I think the time is right and you should go for it.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

So get it done earlier then ?
Entirely up to you.

The sooner you get it done though, the quicker you can start growing the grafts.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016