Who to see? Dr. Diep or Dr. Rahal?

1st of all great hairloss site! Reason for my thread is I'm looking for the right dr. for me. I'm impressed by both dr. diep and dr. rahal equally. Theyre amazing drs. But I notice that even though diep produces good quality, the front of the hairline looks a bit see through on many patients. Bit turned off by this. On the other hand rahal does great work but recently read complaints from patients that they got thin temple area work done. Bit of a downer for me. But still interested in them.

I got diffuse hair. Meaning I'm not bald but I'm thinning in the front. I want to bring down the front more and add volume overall. I like both these drs. Want to know which is recommended for me. And if you could address the above also that can help.

Considering your age you are more susceptible to donor thinning at particularly at the edges of the safe zone, so FUT is ideal. Rahal is the best option in that case.

Dr. Diep and FUE. I don't know where you're seeing "see through" Diep hairlines.His Youtube videos are some of the best and he has posted hundreds. No single transplant from any doctor will make your hairline as thick as it once was.

Get on Finasteride and try Rogaine foam.

Dr. Diep and FUE. I don't know where you're seeing "see through" Diep hairlines.His Youtube videos are some of the best and he has posted hundreds. No single transplant from any doctor will make your hairline as thick as it once was.

Seeing it on many of his vids. Front is see through where you can see an inch or so beyond the front. I think its hit or miss when it comes to procedures. Even with one of the best like dr. diep.

Agree with you though. No dr. will make a thick hairline.

Yep that's why people always go for that 2nd transplant. With FUE it's no big deal with strip you keep risking nerve damage and scar stretching.

You sure about the strip thing? Strip usually produces better results than fue. Gotto disagree with you there partner.

You sure about the strip thing? Strip usually produces better results than fue. Gotto disagree with you there partner.

Second this

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Maybe 10 years ago but not in 2017.

We can disagree on that all day. This site seems to be 50/50 on which is best. I don't like the thought of a big ass scar on the back of my head. I've noticed guys who have already had a strip procedure and are stuck with that scar are really quick to talk shit on fue. Seems like some jealousy to me. Regrets at getting a out of date barbaric procedure. :)

Both procedures in the right hands produce great results so do what you want.

I agree with your observation. Diep's hairlines do not look as dense as Rahal's. I've yet to see a video where he is able to get the grafts as densely packed as Rahal. If you do NOT care about the method and want a dense hairline than I'd go with Rahal. If you go with Diep, only do FUE.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe 10 years ago but not in 2017.

We can disagree on that all day. This site seems to be 50/50 on which is best. I don't like the thought of a big ass scar on the back of my head. I've noticed guys who have already had a strip procedure and are stuck with that scar are really quick to talk shit on fue. Seems like some jealousy to me. Regrets at getting a out of date barbaric procedure. :)

Both procedures in the right hands produce great results so do what you want.

This is simply not true. FUE has come a LONG way, but the science behind the two is enough to logically understand why one is better than the other.

Not if you're one of the unlucky ones to get permanent shockloss around the scarline or a hugely stretched scar even with a highly competent doctor. Let alone a poor yield AND scar issues.

There are tradeoffs and risks with both.

I don't like the thought of a big ass scar on the back of my head. I've noticed guys who have already had a strip procedure and are stuck with that scar are really quick to talk shit on fue.

Can understand that. But keep in mind we're not talking scars. We're talking about how good one method may be over the other.

Seen killer fue results I gotto admit.

Can understand that. But keep in mind we're not talking scars. We're talking about how good one method may be over the other.

Seen killer fue results I gotto admit.

That is the question isn't it, how much better is one vs the other and at what percentage point better does one who doesn't want the scar decide it is worth having for the upside. If the scar isn't an issue then fut should be an easy choice. I have had fue twice and I would say fut is going to give you the better result on average but I question the magnitude of how much better. If you go in to the Feller/Bloxham thread and watch the video they just put out, and work out the numbers they put out in it... they'd have you believe that a 3k fue procedure is on average worse looking than a 2k fut procedure. Look thru the patient experiences and decide for yourself if that is true among top docs. My conclusion was that fut is better but not so much that I wanted the scar. I had a buddy that got fut done and his scar was well done and result is great, and he says the stuff he worried about preop don't bother him any more, the fear of styling options, the long scar being visible, the fear of a stretched scar over time, but he said the thing he hates about it is that he's single and every time he's with a girl, and she runs her hand thru his hair, they feel it and he's got to either come clean or lie to them. It may be a small thing or a big thing depending on your personality but I don't like anybody knowing about my transplants and living in fear of a new chick running her hand along my head would bug the shit out of me. Things you don't know til you have the procedure. So there are pros and cons and risks both ways, just comes down to you and what is most important to you, for me fue was the right choice but if I was a higher nw or less vain lol i'd have done fut

Edited by mikeyhwk

That is the question isn't it, how much better is one vs the other and at what percentage point better does one who doesn't want the scar decide it is worth having for the upside. If the scar isn't an issue then fut should be an easy choice. I have had fue twice and I would say fut is going to give you the better result on average but I question the magnitude of how much better. If you go in to the Feller/Bloxham thread and watch the video they just put out, and work out the numbers they put out in it... they'd have you believe that a 3k fue procedure is on average worse looking than a 2k fut procedure. Look thru the patient experiences and decide for yourself if that is true among top docs. My conclusion was that fut is better but not so much that I wanted the scar. I had a buddy that got fut done and his scar was well done and result is great, and he says the stuff he worried about preop don't bother him any more, the fear of styling options, the long scar being visible, the fear of a stretched scar over time, but he said the thing he hates about it is that he's single and every time he's with a girl, and she runs her hand thru his hair, they feel it and he's got to either come clean or lie to them. It may be a small thing or a big thing depending on your personality but I don't like anybody knowing about my transplants and living in fear of a new chick running her hand along my head would bug the shit out of me. Things you don't know til you have the procedure. So there are pros and cons and risks both ways, just comes down to you and what is most important to you, for me fue was the right choice but if I was a higher nw or less vain lol i'd have done fut

I agree with most of this post. However, if your hair is long enough on the sides/back that a girl can run her hands through it, there's no way she would notice a scar if she didn't know to look for it. Different story with a #1 or 2 clip on the sides/back, but then there's really no hair to run hands through.

More importantly, l think the biggest difference between FUE vs FUT is the yield of donor hair. Someone with a high NW, thin donor hair and contrasting skin tone/ hair color will likely benefit much more from FUT.