motorized FUE or robotic machine?

Hi all,

The clinic I am looking to get my HT mainly do the extraction process via robot (ARTAS).

However many people online say that a manual punch yields better results as the robot uses a larger punch.

Is using the robot / ARTAS really that bad?:confused:

Avoid ARTAS and go manual punch. Manual punch is mostly utilized in Europe, so its typically cheaper with the added benefit of doing less damage to the donor, extracting across the full range of the donor and having a lower transection rate.

It is not that the ARTAS is "bad" per se, but rather that it is typically more expensive and a lower quality procedure, so there is almost zero reason to go for it. Bernstein, Arocha and a number of others are getting good results, however it's telling that Hasson + Wong and Rahal, being some of the top names in FUT for over a decade trialled and subsequently rejected the ARTAS for manual or motorized handheld punch.

None of the cream of the crop names for FUE are using the ARTAS, and I doubt a single person who has researched even to a mid-level extent would disagree.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the recommended punch size for the extraction process 0.8 -1mm?

I believe ARTAS uses 1mm, so that is one issue with it? (Not sure if the size can be modified with the robot)

I wouldn't specifically worry about punch size, but that is an issue with the ARTAS, and 1mm is far too large. I would primarily focus on the results of the doctor rather than their tools, but it becomes blatantly obvious with research that ARTAS results are of a lower standard and it also tends to be more expensive also.

The best FUE doctors all tend to use a manual punch. Don't take my word for that either, research the work of manual punch FUE doctors like Lorenzo, Erdogan, Feriduni, Bisanga, Lupanzula, Konior and Keser and you'll quickly realise that ARTAS results do not come close. Punch size and lack of manual control will also cause issues with long term donor management which may not be an issue after one procedure but will down the track.

Manual punch is the way to go esp with a highly experienced surgeon.. IMO, Motorized punches nor ARTAS come close to it. There are other variables there too.

I think there is a reason Hasson & Wong use a manual punch. There is probably a reason why some docs dropped ARTAS and do not touch other motorized tools.

Also, make sure that the surgeon does the critical parts of surgery, including Extraction.

• 3 months later...

Thank you for the kind words JeanLDD. Dr. Arocha uses a .7mm punch and has been able to even harvest 5 hair follicular units with it.

I think if any of us had a repetitive task, we would do what is comfortable and gets the job done efficiently.

ArochaAngel4247

Representative and Patient Educator for: Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha, Coalition Member. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are mine.

Hi Jimbrann,

Glad to see your researching the possibilities.

Remember to take your time and research a lot more before you schedule any procedure. There's a lot of great advice on this site from people who have gone through it. I wouldnt do either Motorized or robotic. Go manual. Travel if you have to.

• 2 weeks later...

All of my grafts were removed with a 0.8mm punch. I had a second surgery done and when my head was shaved there was no discernible scarring from the previous surgery. Clearly, scarring results but the tiny white dots are just not noticible. Best of luck to you.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.