Hair Stabilizing before age 30?!

Hi all - wondering if anyone can give me their 2cents on this.

Basically, hair my loss started diffuse top of scalp and has continued to fall out that way, though now it looks like an advanced MPB pattern. NW4.5 / 5 I'd say. My sides are still high, as is the crown. The hair loss really is confined to top of scalp

Donor areas still have very thick, blonde hair which by all accounts is in excellent health. My question is, at the age of 27, is it possible that my hair loss is stable already? It all seemed to shed really quickly over the course of maybe 3 years and since then has always been the same. That is without taking fin btw!

There are no guarantees in hair loss and I would say it's unlikely you won't see changes over the next 30 years.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators

I agree with Spanker, but with a caveat, you mentioned you have diffused loss, that appears to fit the A type norwood classification meaning the sides and crown remain high, I would say it is possible that your pattern remains this way, however it would be unlikely that you would retain your miniaturized diffused hairs.

I know Spanker brings up many guys who seemingly had good heads of hair in their late 30's and then go bald when they're in their 60's, 70's. Well this case illustrates the opposite I think this thread would be the appropriate place to share it.

We all know Ferris Buellers Day Off the 80's classic that came out 31 years ago before OP was even born. Well the Principal Mr. Rooney AKA Jeffrey Jones was 39 years old at the time of filming, you can see he has fine strawberry blonde hair and his hairline was receding I would say to a norwood 3, well here is a picture of Mr. Rooney aka Jeffrey Jones at 39 and age 69, as you can see his hair has pretty much stayed the same, maybe a bit thinner in the front but it has amazingly held on well, I really doubt he's taken finasteride as it was not available until the late 90's. In closing, its all a gamble, there are no absolutes, you may lose more hair you may not it just depends.

jeffrey-jones.jpg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Many doctors will tell you that this is where family history is helpful and can serve as a benchmark for future loss.

Obviously the older men with MPB did not take finasteride and so that also must be factored into the equation if you are taking it and they did not.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It's pretty difficult to consider yourself stabilized in your youth unless you've been on a finasteride regimen.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I find it disturbing to think that I'm nearly the same age as Principal Rooney! :eek: Perhaps I'll find myself rooting for him next time I watch Ferris Bueller... :D

If we understand the term "stable" to mean that hairloss has (most likely only temporarily) stopped or slowed down very significantly, then I would say that my own hairloss stabilized in my twenties. A NW3 pattern emerged and hasn't progressed significantly for around a decade.

So my hairloss pattern is less advanced than a NW4-5. However, I don't think that the actual pattern matters, as I have seen hairloss stabilize in more advanced Norwood stages.

I can of course picture a NW4 or 5 pattern, but there is variability within the Norwood scale and without seeing photos I cannot know how much hair you have left within your balding pattern.

If your sides and crown are still strong, then there does exist a good possibility that they will remain strong and the major difference you will see is increased thinning within the already defined area. That's an optimistic but realistic scenario; but I have to echo what others have said in that MPB is unpredictable. Nobody can give you any guarantees.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com