worried about long-term unknown side effect of Finasteride

louis2008

I am currently taking 1mg Finasteride daily to battle against male-pattern hair loss.

I'm so worried about possible negative side effects for long-term use while at the same time I cannot give up my hair.

There are a lot of different sayings and legends about Finasteride. We have no doubt that it's an effective drug, however, at the same time I have doubt about its long-term safety because none of us has used it for long-term (it's a relatively new medicine, only first approved in January 1998, less than 20 years of time)

I have done extensive Google search and find out that there were a lot of tests and research on the effectiveness and safety of Finasteride. However,

in my opinion, the sample size of patients is usually only a few hundred or at most a few thousands, which is not a large sample size, is it?

It's a really difficult decision - whether to stop it, or to continue.

I don't know , and I have no way to know if all those scaring internet legends about the safety of Finasteride is a fact or lie.

What do you think?

To be honest, this is one of those decisions that depends largely on who you choose to listen to, which set of "facts" you give more credence to, and ultimately, what your gut tells you to do. As a general rule, I think most people on this forum, myself included, would tell you that while there are always risks involved with any medication, experiencing negative side effects with Finasteride is more the exception than the rule and most people around here recommend it. Add to that that the medication does indeed work, and it really comes down to what you value more: Do you want to maintain your hair for as long as possible with the small risk of experiencing negative side effects? Or do you prefer to forgo the medication (and any potential side effects) and risk losing your hair more rapidly? Which decision helps you sleep better at night?

I know this isn't the most reassuring answer, but it really does come down to what your gut instinct tells you to do. I've taken Finasteride for a couple of years and to my knowledge haven't experienced any negative side effects. In fact, I stopped taking it for a couple of months for no other reason than "I don't like taking medication of any kind" and noticed my hair fall increase quite dramatically... So I'm back on the horse.

And for what it's worth, any concerns with longterm side effects shouldn't be unique to just finasteride. Any medication that we take long term has the potential for this, so just make sure your concerns are based on the valid reports/stories of negative side effects and not the overblown hysteria often found on message boards about one particular drug. :)

Lastly, talk to a doctor you really trust about this and get their input if you need a push in either direction.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

To be honest, this is one of those decisions that depends largely on who you choose to listen to, which set of "facts" you give more credence to, and ultimately, what your gut tells you to do. As a general rule, I think most people on this forum, myself included, would tell you that while there are always risks involved with any medication, experiencing negative side effects with Finasteride is more the exception than the rule and most people around here recommend it. Add to that that the medication does indeed work, and it really comes down to what you value more: Do you want to maintain your hair for as long as possible with the small risk of experiencing negative side effects? Or do you prefer to forgo the medication (and any potential side effects) and risk losing your hair more rapidly? Which decision helps you sleep better at night?

I know this isn't the most reassuring answer, but it really does come down to what your gut instinct tells you to do. I've taken Finasteride for a couple of years and to my knowledge haven't experienced any negative side effects. In fact, I stopped taking it for a couple of months for no other reason than "I don't like taking medication of any kind" and noticed my hair fall increase quite dramatically... So I'm back on the horse.

And for what it's worth, any concerns with longterm side effects shouldn't be unique to just finasteride. Any medication that we take long term has the potential for this, so just make sure your concerns are based on the valid reports/stories of negative side effects and not the overblown hysteria often found on message boards about one particular drug. :)

Lastly, talk to a doctor you really trust about this and get their input if you need a push in either direction.

Hello. Thanks very much for your advice. You understand me very much !!

You've raised a very good question ---Which decision helps you sleep better at night?

I have asked myself a lot of time but I don't know.

Before I started the medication and noticed my head and my hair loss , I felt so bad. I had a lot of night that I couldn't sleep well.

When I am taking the medicine now, my worries about further loss is relieved and I have positive expectation for hair regrowth.. However, at the same time, every day, a few hours before I should take another pill, I have a lot of struggling. It's like I am increasing my health risk every day by myself.

I always try to persuade myself, hair loss is not a disease, however, taking the drug could increase risks of more serious disease and more importantly, humanity is now able to explore the planet Mars, but our body is still very much not understood. I believe that long -term risks are unknown. It could be no risk, but it could be even more risks than listed in the package of the medicine.

On the gambling table of life, Not taking the medicine does not mean I will not lose the game, but taking the medicine

is like I am placing my bet on the a little bit more risky side.

In fact what it worries me most is the link of the drug with cancer. I'm not so worried about breast cancer because by common sense it's very rare in man. But I'm worried about prostate risks.

Maybe someone believes that I've got a decision and wants to get someone here to support my decision. Honestly speaking, I am really unable to make any decision.

• 2 weeks later...
Honestly speaking, I am really unable to make any decision.

I completely understand where you're coming from, as a lot of what you've described I've felt/thought as well. At a certain point, you really do just need to make a decision for yourself and stick with it - and at the same time, know that you can always change your mind later and make a different one if you choose to. Based solely on the information I'm getting from you here, I think you already know what decision you want to make and which choice makes you feel the most at ease.... Now it's just a matter of you following through with that. Either decision comes with risks, and it's up to you which risks you're more willing to take.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 2 months later...

I just got some more fin from the pharmacist i was asked if i noticed my mood change and if i was planning to have a family.

I asked why having a family would matter if i'm on fin i was told that 'remember this is a hormonal treatment, it can give a female masculine features'

I was suprised at been told this...

... it can give a female masculine features'

This is IMO completely nonsense, and another proof that pharmacist and most medical doctors know nothing about FIN :-(

However, FIN is dangerous when your wife is pregnant as she should touch the splitted pills e. g. quarters from 5 mg. This can give birth defects to the baby.

But many members here have become a father on FIN (I think Spex even got twins).

I avoided taking propecia for the first 15 years of my hair loss but finally succumbed to it 2.5 years ago after my HT #3 -- It actually helped w regrowth after HT, and also led to generally a fuller appearance. So for me it worked .

Side effects - mainly I had issues with brain fog (lack of coherence) once in a while and to combat that , I cut the dosage to 1mg every other day which seemed to alleviate that issue a bit.

I switched from oral to topical 10 months ago after my HT#4 and my hair is a lot worse for it . Not sure if the switch itself is the cause but to test that theory I am going back on oral propecia now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I avoided taking propecia for the first 15 years of my hair loss but finally succumbed to it 2.5 years ago after my HT #3 -- It actually helped w regrowth after HT, and also led to generally a fuller appearance. So for me it worked .

Side effects - mainly I had issues with brain fog (lack of coherence) once in a while and to combat that , I cut the dosage to 1mg every other day which seemed to alleviate that issue a bit.

I switched from oral to topical 10 months ago after my HT#4 and my hair is a lot worse for it . Not sure if the switch itself is the cause but to test that theory I am going back on oral propecia now.

Could you be more specific on the side effects you experienced on Fin? Especially the "brain fog" ...ive also read about these sides, but no ones really elaborated on the exact nature of the issues....I finally started on Fin about 10weeks ago after seeing a Patient of Dr. Parsleys results on only 1/4 dose per day.....and imeadiatley my hair fall stopped dead in its tracks....then nothing but GROWTH for the past 2 months...i then started on the brand name Propecia (i heard theres a difference) at 1/2 dose per day for the past 2.5 weeks or so, and i have to say my hair has grown back at least 25% of its loss in this short amount of time...iam truly amazed...should have done this 4yrs ago. Ive experienced none of the side effects ive read about and dreaded...lack of libido, ed, sperm volume decrease, brain fog etc....in fact if anything my libdo has increased...and i just have a general more viral feeling (could be placebo) but at this rate i envision most of my hari returning to normal (unless the hammer drops) and i experience bad side effects, or maybe it just stops working? idk...I worried about the sexual sides, and brain fog ive read about but haven't noticed anything at this does Thank God bc this is proving to be a miracle for me so far...It makes me wonder if the underlying reason for my (late in life out of no where) hairloss was hormone related to begin with ??

12/11/17 2500 FUE Grafts with Dr. Steven Gable

Could you be more specific on the side effects you experienced on Fin? Especially the "brain fog" ...ive also read about these sides, but no ones really elaborated on the exact nature of the issues....I finally started on Fin about 10weeks ago after seeing a Patient of Dr. Parsleys results on only 1/4 dose per day.....and imeadiatley my hair fall stopped dead in its tracks....then nothing but GROWTH for the past 2 months...i then started on the brand name Propecia (i heard theres a difference) at 1/2 dose per day for the past 2.5 weeks or so, and i have to say my hair has grown back at least 25% of its loss in this short amount of time...iam truly amazed...should have done this 4yrs ago. Ive experienced none of the side effects ive read about and dreaded...lack of libido, ed, sperm volume decrease, brain fog etc....in fact if anything my libdo has increased...and i just have a general more viral feeling (could be placebo) but at this rate i envision most of my hari returning to normal (unless the hammer drops) and i experience bad side effects, or maybe it just stops working? idk...I worried about the sexual sides, and brain fog ive read about but haven't noticed anything at this does Thank God bc this is proving to be a miracle for me so far...It makes me wonder if the underlying reason for my (late in life out of no where) hairloss was hormone related to begin with ??

The side effects will eventually creep up on you.

The side effects will eventually creep up on you.

pretty bold statement considering only 5% of people experience side effects...also i spoken people who have been on it for over a decade with zero side effects...care to elaborate?

im on fin for 4 years now.

The only side i have is watery semen .But since i have no plans to have kids for now it dont worry me. On the other side i found that i can go 5-7 times for sex in one day,so it kinda boosted my libido, the other good "side effect" i found that my muscle mass dont go away after i stop workout . So i can easily get back in shape . Im 35 btw.

I personally used finasteride for many years, probably about seven or eight before I decided to stop… Not because of side effects either but because I just made a personal decision that I did not want to be on any medication for the rest of my life if I didn't have to. So I decided to stop taking it. That said, I have read about the possibility of short and long-term side effects even though they are supposed to be quite rare. At the end of the day, you will have to make your own decision however, you may want to speak to several physicians to get their input.

Best wishes,

Bill

im on fin for 4 years now.

The only side i have is watery semen .But since i have no plans to have kids for now it dont worry me. On the other side i found that i can go 5-7 times for sex in one day,so it kinda boosted my libido, the other good "side effect" i found that my muscle mass dont go away after i stop workout . So i can easily get back in shape . Im 35 btw.

agree on all...

When i started fin 0.5mg everyday after about 3 months i started to notice a little difference to my existing hair then after about 5months i saw a big difference to my hair was much thicker then after about 7 to 8 months i was not getting early morning erection and my labido was down. It was down even before fin due to other things in life but with the worry etc i reduced it to 0.5mg every other day. I feel it has helped plus with the cost so i now reduced the dose to about 0.3mg everyother day. Now my hair is looking alright but not as thick as it went before.

The pharmacist said 'it won't work like that, we recommed 1mg per day'

Now i'm thinking there is no set limit on what dose everyone needs to take so i hope it is helping my hair if not should i stop it altogther?

The worse thing is taking it all the time and the constant worry it may just be you that gets the sides.

Also i forgot to take it one day plus the day before on day three i had a proper hard early morning erection so i don't know if it's connected or because i was more relaxed that day

The biggest worry is if my sides are due to fin what if they become permanent?

I dont mind taking fin before and a little after a hair transplant but thinking on a longer term like 5, 10, 15, 20 years ?

The studies say (sexual sides) is more prevalent in “younger users”. May i ask how old you are? Also, iam curious when you 1st started taking the drug, did you have ANY sexual side effects? was your libido, sexual function the same? I ask bc (as stated previously) ive been on Fin for only 2 +months, at only 1/2 dose, and ive actually experienced an INCREASE in libido, ejaculation strength, and volume (although slightly watery as Ive read) Oddly even a feeling of “well being” associated with the drug. Not to mention my thinning hair stopped in its tracks and grew back nearly 20% of the hair fall i was experiencing already…and seems to get thicker every day.

Iam however cautiously optimistic, and have to admit the negative things im reading about this drug have me very concerned, but haven’t experienced any of these side effects Ive read about, or stated here in this thread…other than that i seem to be dreaming during sleep a bit more than usual.

I guess the feeling im experiencing i would compare to maybe IF having low testosterone, and then boosting it…i feel better, and younger with more libido. Ive even noticed alot of my joint pain seems to be subsiding from working out (i had some inflammation issues in my elbows and shoulders) .

Iam 49 yrs old...truthfully its making me wonder whether i had an underlying hormonal condition causing the rapid hair fall to begin with??? maybe low testosterone idk? and Fin maybe addressed a hormonal issue?. If anyone has any thoughts on this feel free to share iam very curious if that is the case with my own hair loss as ive always had thick hair and only started to shed a few years back, and then very rapidly all of the sudden. Could low test be the cause? or a hormonal issue?

So what have you decided? At the end of the day, I think it's worth considering using finasteride to save your hair, as it is considered very effective when an individual is experiencing minor to moderate thinning. It typically doesn't regrow a plethora of hair however, it's usually pretty good at helping to maintain what you have and possibly thickening thinning hair. That said, obviously if you start to experience side effects, you will have to decide what's more important, which most people decide to stop taking it which is understandable. I personally would not want to experience sexual side effects from a drug and would want to come off of it ASAP.

I am interested in hearing what you decide.

Best wishes,

Bill

So what have you decided? At the end of the day, I think it's worth considering using finasteride to save your hair, as it is considered very effective when an individual is experiencing minor to moderate thinning. It typically doesn't regrow a plethora of hair however, it's usually pretty good at helping to maintain what you have and possibly thickening thinning hair. That said, obviously if you start to experience side effects, you will have to decide what's more important, which most people decide to stop taking it which is understandable. I personally would not want to experience sexual side effects from a drug and would want to come off of it ASAP.

I am interested in hearing what you decide.

Best wishes,

Bill

are you are you addressing your question to me? Or the o p?

i'm 36 years old, first time i took fin 1mg everyday was age around 23 years.

So much had and was happening in my life that i cannot be sure if fin had any side effects at that time i was going thru many things in life but i remember i said to myself i need to do something about this hair i'm loosing.

Then after one year i remember i was reading a article which said pills & lotions are no long term fix for hairloss so with this and the costs adding up i decided to stop it and see how much my hair falls out then go for a hair transplant when i'm ready.

Then just last year i restarted it during which time i read and know much more about hairloss thanks to the right people and this website!

I have been told the hair i have left ontop now was probably due to the fin i took back then.

I think i will continue with fin and if i have a ht for a little while after that.

Right now my labido is down but i cannot say for sure it's fin as many other things happen in life which can cause it.

Also if i didn't have a ht i wonder if nw6 would be worth taking it?

i'm 36 years old, first time i took fin 1mg everyday was age around 23 years.

So much had and was happening in my life that i cannot be sure if fin had any side effects at that time i was going thru many things in life but i remember i said to myself i need to do something about this hair i'm loosing.

Then after one year i remember i was reading a article which said pills & lotions are no long term fix for hairloss so with this and the costs adding up i decided to stop it and see how much my hair falls out then go for a hair transplant when i'm ready.

Then just last year i restarted it during which time i read and know much more about hairloss thanks to the right people and this website!

I have been told the hair i have left ontop now was probably due to the fin i took back then.

I think i will continue with fin and if i have a ht for a little while after that.

Right now my labido is down but i cannot say for sure it's fin as many other things happen in life which can cause it.

Also if i didn't have a ht i wonder if nw6 would be worth taking it?

You realize that its normal for libido to drop from a 23 year old to a 36 year old right???

in terms of muscle mass recovery and well being i think this is what happens. When you take fin you block conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone and when you body sees that it tries to raise dihydrotestosterone to normal levels and the only way it can do that is by increasing production of testosterone

in terms of muscle mass recovery and well being i think this is what happens. When you take fin you block conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone and when you body sees that it tries to raise dihydrotestosterone to normal levels and the only way it can do that is by increasing production of testosterone

Thank you for an intelligent answer.. there is much more at work here on a hormonal level that is for sure!. Id love to find a Mens hormonal specialist (somewhere) there isn't much where i live...to delve deeper into what may or may not be underlying causes of (late) hair loss (and other issues as well). Testosterone deficiency's...Hypogonadism...and Andropause (male menopause) could all be to blame...as well as thyroid function as well. Funny i was having chronic joint inflammation in my shoulders and elbows (form working out all my life i thought) all GONE now in month 3 of Fin....

If anyone knows of specialists in this field please DM me with referrals.