strip scar

For several years now I have been considering a HT. I get to looking at the donor from strip procedures, and it stops me dead in my tracks. It strikes me as so invasive, just to move around grafts. In response, I avoid these sites for a couple months, then out of frustration resulting from not addressing my hair loss, I come back to repeat the process. I have a long slender face, and the "shave it and forget it" look is not very becoming.

I have even gone so far as an in office visit to H&W earlier this year. Recession a 3ish. However, while donor is good, donor hair has always been fairly thin. Hasson feels I need about 3,500, so clearly strip is the way to go.

How did you all come to terms with accepting strip surgery scaring?

Especially interested to hear from Hasson patients like Bill and hair_me_out (loss was similar to my own).

Thanks!

For me, strip was a lot more affordable than FUE. Have you seen some of the prices quoted on just "one" graft? No thanks. Of course, if money is not a factor then I don't see why you can't go in for FUE. There are some docs recommended on this site that does FUE exceptionally well. Bottom line here is, I want hair and my research concluded that strip yields a better chance of graft survival and growth.

Thanks for the reply hair_me_out. I will probably be sending you some PM as I work through my decision.

As you note, this is about recreating the allusion of a full head of hair. (as we have similar loss pattern) I think this result is achievable for both of us. A scar is just the price one pays. 1-3MM width I can accept without reservation. A couple hundred FUE and/or some of the tattoo work I have seen to break up the scar would satisfactorily address.

Unfortunately, even H&W have some less than desirable results. I am not singling out a clinic, all clinics have the rare poor scar result. Hasson is on my short list of one, so they are my subject matter. As I noted, I went to VYR just for a consult this spring.

I was getting ready to schedule a few years back when H&W were beginning to do tri closures, and someone posted their poor scar which looked nearly 2 CM. Likewise, there was this posting last year/early this year on HLH:

I didn't try to translate all of the posts. However, this type of result would be a regrettable outcome.

Even when both doctor and patient perform everything by the book, patient physiology seems to occasionally lead to poor strip results. While I am 40, I have very tight scalp. Dr. Hasson even commented on my lack of laxity. Giving rise to my concerns about my 3MM line of demarcation. Beyond that width, I would regret a strip decision.

I am a number cruncher by trade, so either from personal experience or as witnessed by those in the industry, what percentage of donor scars, resulting from virgin strip HT, graph count of around 3,500, typically exceed 3MM?

grow your hair long, it works for me,(and my hair is thin also) i gues the only time your reminded of the scar is when you shave down to a number 3,2,or 1, other than that, hasson and wong have good results on their strips, i wouldnt worry too much, you will have more hair on top,and that is worth it .\

tcare.

juanc

1000 grafts with dr rosanelli

1000 grafts with Dr. Peterson

1600 (july 17) with Dr. Ochs

Shine On:

Wow, I hadn't seen that case before. I wish someone from the clinic had posted to clarify what exactly happened.

I think it's also a sober reminder that even though a HT is relatively unintrusive, they can still carry serious risks. It's definiately something to weight before making a decision, but sadly you'll have very few numbers to consider. I do wish there were more studies on the risks...

hair_me_out

Shineon,

I had a tough time coming to grips with the invasive strip surgery as well.

I am happy to say I had no complications & my scar is undetectable.

I think the post on HLH is a reminder of what can & doe's occasionaly happen.

I think you need to decide how aggressive you want to be. For insatnce H&W can pull 3,500 grafts,but they are also more aggressive in taking their strip. They take it higher than most Doc's (As seen in the HLH pic)& just behind

the temples.

If you go to another coaltion Doctor they may only pull 2,500 grafts but they will take a smaller more conservative strip.

It just depends on your risk tolerance. There is always a chance with any procedure that someting can go wrong. But with the top coaltion Doc's the risk is minimal.

Good Luck!

hair_me_out

I came across the HLH post right after my in office consult. Thus, I had hoped Joe would indicate the issue was addressed to the patient's satisfaction, and attempt to indicate what potentially caused the donor strip concerns. In such case, I would have scheduled a HT over the summer. Not knowing the outcome, or lessons learned, as it stood, I temporarily backed away from considering a HT. It's the "crap, that could have been me" reflex action. I agree, while I feel I am aligning myself with a top clinic, at the end of the day there are still some risks.

Atomic

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I have also noticed the length of H&W strip. The length is less of a concern that the width. As a NW3, if I ultimately decide on strip, it makes the most sense to attempt a one and done approach. I really commend HT veterans with 3 or more procedures. What other cosmetic procedure takes up to a year to determine the result? A boob job, and the girl is sporting her high beams only days later. While we are relegated to hiding under hats and do rags for half of a year, daily standing before the mirror trying to coax a couple HT grafts to show themselves! HT surgery is a definite case of delayed gratification. Should I need additional work down the road, my thought is FUE can discretely keep me ahead of any loss in the crown.

I perused old posts on several boards, and 3MM seems to be the upper end of what is considered acceptable for top clinics on virgin scalp. As indicated, that is a number I can live with. However, I am curious how often this strip scar width is exceed. Clearly this phenomenon occurs. Hopefully, surgeons will address the figures involved.

Every surgery carries potential risks. If you asked any dentist he/she would tell you that 1 out of a every few thousand patients had a major negative reaction to anesthetic and had to go to the emergency room. Sometimes people die from taking flu vaccines, but they are 1 out of 100,000 when you look at the numbers. Should that stop YOU from taking the vaccine ?

Life comes with risks. Some people are dead simply from getting into their car one particular day, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time on the highway where an 18 wheeler just so happens to veer out of his lane into them because he's falling asleep at the wheel. Had they just woke up 30 seconds later that day they would still be alive. Should that stop YOU from ever driving your car again ?

But if you have a "tight scalp" then you should have a little worry over a 3500 FU strip surgery. It's just common sense that the wound will have more tension on it, and therefore complications can develop. Mine is loose as a goose, so I'm not very worried.

First time poster here. I too underwent the FUT strip surgery with Dr Hasson just earlier this week. As 'JMG544' mentioned, if cost is not an issue, I'd go with the FUE method, although it seems that the strip surgery has proven to show better results. I too am concerned about the donor scar, but I don't think it will be much of an issue, based on past results of H&W patients that wear their hair short.

Originally posted by shine on:

jmg544

Your 4 month pic of the donor looks very good. No trace of a scar or hair ridge in the pic. What guard is your hair cut in the pic posted?

Thanks!

It was at a Four faded down to a One from the top to bottom. The scar is so thin now that it is hard for anyone to find it.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll never accept my strip scar. I hate it.

Quoted for TRUTH man!!! Seriously, though I'd rather have the scar and good hairline, than to be how I was, I still hate hate hate my scar. It's like, now that I have hair, I can never have the haircut I want. LOL.

I see these guys that the gym with their low maint. haircuts all buzzed on the sides, and I'm like "I hate you on principle!"