Removing scabs after HT

Hi all,

I had FUT done with a coalition doc on the 31st. Overall it's been a great experience. Couldn't have done it without HTN. Will post my pics etc soon.

Wondering in terms of removing scabs, the doc said I should try to rub lightly on the grafts to remove the scabs after day 7. I am now at day 11 and I know most say the grafts are permanent after 10 days but I am still apprehensive about rubbing on the grafts.

How important is it to rub the scabs off? I heard they usually fall off within 10-14 days. Will letting them naturally fall off affect growth? Will not rubbing them off be harmful?

Thanks in advance,

Sid

Hi Sid,

It's not important to rub the grafts off, they should naturally fall off within 14 days or so. Rubbing them gently in a circular motion when they are soft during washing will just speed up the process.

By now your grafts are firmly embedded in your scalp therefore rubbing or not rubbing will not affect future growth.

Edited by Shera

Yes, removing the scabs isn't very important and the grafts will be firmly rooted in place by now. The scabs will just fall away by themselves and washing will accelerate that as the scabs will soften and come loose.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I found that letting them soak in warm suds while you're in the shower was really helpful in removing them... Then they'll come off with almost no effort.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

NEVER EVER PICK AT THEM, other than that, have patience, they will fall off naturally in their own time a couple of weeks post op.

You can soak your head to encourage them along.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Scabs and crusts are two different things. Yes scabs will come off as the scalp heals but crusts can be more stubborn for some individuals. That's because crusts are dead tissue.

If you check with your surgeon, he will undoubtedly tell you that it was the crusts that he was referring to in removing them.

Crusts are the tips of the grafts above the scalp line that dry out and can become hard and take some rubbing to remove.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY