Is there a primer somewhere about density? I've seen some online simulators talk about density as choosing between "full look" and "bald". What's typical in terms of grafts per cm2 to get a somewhat dense look?

Thanks,

Sid

sidbtz,

It's generally held that an illusion of density can be created with half of natural density. Most people have about 100 follicular units per cm2. So, most guys will get a great result with around 50 grafts/cm2.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I agree with David. About 50 grafts per cm/2 should achieve a dense result, with higher numbers possible in the right patient.

But remember that hair caliber (thickness) and texture will heavily influence how dense the final result looks, as well as the colour contrast between hair and scalp.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Be careful about having supposade high density placed in native hair areas. You do not want to be in a position where everything is see through in all types of lighting where folks stare at your scalp.

Go to a responsible doc and get a consult. Be careful and best of luck.

Dave and Matt is right about the general rule of thumb that 50% of natural hair density generally does the trick in terms of providing a nice, natural looking result. However, I'd say the average hair density is typically around 80 FU/cm2 rather than 100, making 40 FU/cm2 fairly nice density that provides users with a nice, natural and undetectable look.

Best wishes,

Bill

Many HT surgeons will tell you that the degree of coarseness is the single most important factor considered when achieving the illusion of coverage, even over density.

Yes density is a part of the equation but many individuals tend to over emphasize that part when density in itself will not achieve visual coverage like a high degree of coarseness.

The more coarse the hair shafts are, the less grafts needed...:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Good point about the coarseness of the hair playing a role in the illusion of density. I assume the same can be said for whether or not one has curly/wavy hair, as well as the contrast between skin tone and hair color. These are other factors that can be taken into consideration and can potentially allow you more (or less) wiggle room to work with regarding the illusion of fully density.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Transplanted don't reproduce natures density. As far as a dense enough look, I agree with Bill, 80 seems to be closer to average and half that should look acceptable.

Also, hair caliber is really important, and so is you natural follicular unit density. I've explained in mathematic detail, but it is all about hair mass, and the best way to create that is with caliber, as each hair will block more light, significantly more, when its thicker.

This is why I cautioned people during the Turkey FUE boom not to expect the same result with the same number of grafts if their characteristics aren't the same.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hair caliber is number 1. If you have fine hair, it will take an insane amount of grafts to make it dense. End of story.

I have naturally fine hair.....and when my 2 HT's started to grow in....I now realize the new hair grew in at a medium or maybe slightly above medium (in other words, between medium and coarse) thickness. It was great! However, as my HT matured....that hair matured into fine hair like I naturally have everywhere else. That made it easier to manage but I definitely lost some density due to the maturing from medium into fine due to the fact the diameter of my hair shaft got smaller. I look great, trust me.....but whereas it's taken or will take 4k-5k grafts to get a dense result for me likely would only take someone with medium hair 3000-3500 grafts (and those with coarse hair maybe even less).

You definitely are at a disadvantage overall if you have fine hair. I agree hair caliber is probably even more important than density. I would bet someone with 40 grafts per square cm and coarse hair looks much thicker than someone with fine hair and 60 grafts per square cm.

Consider this:

65 micrometers vs 80 micron as the average diameter of a 2 patient's hair.

The average person would say that the difference of the hair mass for the same number of grafts would be 18.75%. So, it would take 18.75% more hair to equal the same hair mass at the same length.

Unfortunately, that would be incorrect. Because you are measuring, essentially, the volume of a cylinder to get hair mass, there is about a 33% difference. (You can do the math.) This means if the 65 micron guy has surgery, he will need 6k grafts to look as dense as thick hair guy's 4K.

So, yes, diameter of hair is very important. Length and layering hair is one way to combat that.

Follicular density is more straight forward. If you have your density is 2.0 and another guy has 2.2, there is about a 10 percent difference, so 3300 grafts on you should look like 3000 grafts on the other guy.

My advice is for thin haired guys to get a slightly higher hairline (with I would have done that) so there is less area to cover to make of for grafts needed. On the positive side, I think that thin haired guys have the most natural results, as the thin caliber looks the most realistic at transplanted density, especially in the hairline. That is just an opinion though, but I thought I would mention that I think that there are some silver linings to it.

Ultimately, we kind of have what we have. I have very average characteristics all the way around. I am not that happy about it, but it kind of is what it is.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.