Should I expect much after 7 months post-op?

For me, almost all of my growth had occurred and I essentially had a completed result by month 7. My hair has always grown very fast so I would say that my experience isn't typical, but I would expect any HT patient to have significant growth by month 7.

I take it you're 7 months post-op now. How is it going?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Pretty much all the growth has already happened at seven months and as you say, it's just a case of the hair maturing.

In my own experience though, growth was significantly delayed when treating an area that had been previously transplanted (frontal). Nothing really happened until month eight then it sprang into life. But when I had a couple of thousand grafts to my crown (not previously treated) I had pretty much my full result by month six.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Ramez,

I'm going to be the "odd man out" here and state that you can see both. I've personally seen patients experience "popping" of new grafts -- IE "new growth" -- after the 7 month mark. And of course you still see lots of maturing of the hairs that have already penetrated through the scalp.

Altogether, it's still relatively early. As tough as it is sometimes, I'd recommend trying to put it out of your mind as best you can and truly evaluate at the 12 month mark. Easier said than done, I know, but it is sometimes best to let nature take its course and really assess at that point.

Good luck.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Ramez,

To be honest, it really depends on the patient. A hair transplant is considered fully mature between 12 and 18 months. The slow growers typically experience the majority of their growth after the six month mark which means yes, it is very possible to experience A lot of additional growth and maturation after seven months. Fast growers however, typically experience of the Jordie of their growth before six months and while there will be continued growth and maturation over the next six months, the majority of their cosmetic improvements will b fast growers however, typically experience of a jury of their growth before six months and while there will be continued growth and maturation over the next six months, the majority of their cosmetic improvement will likely be seen at this point.

Long story short, it inevitably depends on the patient, which is why I typically tell people not to stress or over worry until you get to the year mark.

I hope this helps.

Bill

This is something that could be charted on a bell curve with the majority of patients having a good 2/3 of their regrowth occurring by the 7th month post-op.

But as was stated, there are variances between individuals as well as subsequent procedures demonstrating different timelines as well.

By the 12 month post-op, most if not all of the regrowth has occurred and in the following months, it's more maturation of hair shaft diameter (hair caliber) that takes place.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I have had a few surgeries - until my last one I would have agreed that most of the growth would be in by month 7 but my last one completely changed my experience.

At month 7 I had almost given up & still resorted to shaving my head. I was quite depressed & resigned myself to either shaving or wearing a wig for the rest of my life. By month 10 I was rocking & now at 11 months my hair is probably the best it has been since my teen years.

It can definitely mature up to a year (at least).

I'm 8 months in, I saw quite a significant improvement between 6-8 months and can still see some small hairs and fine hairs which I expect will thicken.

Inspect your hair close up, can you see small hairs popping out? Are some of the hairs still fine? If so these are good signs you have improvements to expect.

I saw big improvements between the 7 month mark to the 12 month and beyond, not sure how much new growth but from what I've seen on this site lots of guys see good improvement after 7 months

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I'm actually quite happy with how the new hair line has framed my face but wanted a bit more density in there, the front and mid scalp. (I had around 3,300 grafts spread throughout all those areas, with the main focus on the hairline and front and less grafts going back) So I think if things improve an additional 20-30% after the 7 months mark, I'd be very pleased. I would tackle the crown in a future procedure and add some density then to the front if I wanted to. Couldn't handle propecia and experienced side effects after 6 months or else my crown would have significantly improved since I still have some hairs there although very thin and see through.

Question: At this stage, can I use a hair/blow dryer in normal (hot) setting occasionally in case I need help styling my hair and probably add some hair product or would it harm the grafts? I believe it would be fine but wanted some additional opinions.