Scar Wars: Ahead Ink Strip Scar Treatment

Please see a client who had a fairly thin yet slightly visible strip/FUT scar. The client likes wearing his hair quite short and we were able to very successfully conceal the scar with 3 passes of temporary SMP. We also thickened up his entire scalp.

kckl05.jpg

2jbgp5.jpg

mryb9k.jpg

eip0fd.jpg

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Badbeat, Thanks, and good question! I never require a client to shave for a thickening or scar procedure. I find if the client has no intention of shaving it's best to achieve the desired effect with the hair longer so we can accurately match up the density.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

we were able to very successfully conceal the scar with 3 passes of temporary SMP. We also thickened up his entire scalp.

Nice job. Looks great.

When you say "3 passes" exactly what does that mean as far as the patient?

Obviously each patient is unique, but like for this patient did that mean 3 visits?

How long between visits?

Roughly how long was this patient in the chair per visit?

Is there a "recovery time"?

Does the client shower/shampoo the next morning and return to normal activities like work the next day? Sun exposure?

Any new studies on safety issues of ink/bloodstream worries?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Thanks everyone!

Shampoo, to answer your questions.....

When you say "3 passes" exactly what does that mean as far as the patient? We do two sessions on consecutive days, then a third session 4-6 weeks later so three visits total.

Roughly how long was this patient in the chair per visit? About 2 hours each day.

Is there a "recovery time"? There is some mild redness/pinkness like a sunburn that lasts a few days. For thickening it's barely noticeable. We ask clients to avoid direct sunlight for a week as well as chlorine and no heavy sweating if possible. The client may shower but no shampoo for 48 hours. We supply an aftercare kit of shampoo and serum. Otherwise clients may resume all normal activity.

Any new studies on safety issues of ink/bloodstream worries? No new studies as far as I know. Beauty Medical manufactures this product in Europe where the standards for safety are far more stringent than anything made here in the states. There is a thread on this forum where Milena Lardi and Nicole Large from Shapiro Medical address the safety of the product in depth that's worth reading.

Thanks hairthere....your work looks really nice.

I will study the safety thread, because to be honest that is the only thing

giving me any hesitation at the chance to get some additional thickening in the crown.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Shampoo,

I know there was a study done on tattoo ink collecting in the lymph nodes that scared a lot of people. But tattoo and micropigmentation are very different in terms of the pigments' composition and the depth they are injected at. (I only inject at .5mm which is the upper dermis, tattoo injects at 2mm the lower dermis.) So a lot of the pigment I inject will be exfoliated out since it's a superficial injection.

The particles that make up Beauty Medical pigment are 15 microns (tattoo particles are 20+ microns and all shapes) in size and they go through a filter so each particle is perfectly round in size. This allows the body's cell defense system to "eat" and expel the particle. Milena speaks more about the composition/ingredients of the pigments which you'll see are quite safe.

MattJ,

Thanks! Fade times will vary based on sun/chlorine exposure, as well as the person's own system. Most guys will go at least 1 year before needing a touchup. A small percentage come back sooner, and some will go longer than 2 years. It all depends on the needs, too. For instance, a full shaved look client with no hairline gets a lot of aesthetic benefit from just having a hairline to frame the face. This type of client is usually not as concerned about darkness/density so he could go longer before requiring a touchup.

For thickening procedure clients it's all about the density/darkness so they might need touchups more frequently. However, Thickening clients also tend to have more hair which provides some coverage from the sun.

I love this kind of SMP work, blends seamlessly! Great work, hairthere!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I have a particularly annoying scar, and a friend recommended dermalmd's scar serum to me. Any time I forget to use it my scar goes back to itching and stinging the next day, although not as badly as it used to. It takes very little at a time unless you have a truly large scar, so it lasts quite a while. I'm very grateful to have found this, because the scar hurt *constantly* before I started using this.Its clear now. This serum is the most effective for healing wounds and scars.

• 5 weeks later...

I like the fact that it is made of natural ingredient. No harmful chemicals or fragrances, so you won’t have to worry about it causing any problems to the body. I have been using dermalmd scar product now.

It was very easy to apply, it is not messy and does not have any bad smell. It also dries very quickly. I have had very good results with this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...