Question for those who had a transplant for 10 years or more

Are the hairs still intact? I've read an article which said that its not true that hairs on the donor area are immune to DHT but instead since most of the DHT, calcification build up etc are on the top of the head. Overtime the transplants will die of eventually.

It continues to say that inflammation and calcification must be addressed in order to truly cure hair loss.

It would be interesting to see anyone with a hair transplant for over 10 years i remember asking this question a long time ago but no reply on here.

Would it be one hair transplant or more required to keep up with the hair loss, if any?

I am not sure if posting another forum is allowed but this story I've read is very interesting. It seems to be way back in 2011.

Got a transplant at a very young age, then transplanted hairs started to decline at the 2 year mark. Another one tend to follow through that he has the same situation.

(link removed by moderator)

Another one that seems to have the same problem

Thought hair transplant could be my permanent solution not sure how rare are those cases but I hope someone who have a similar situation could speak up but I guess I have to think more carefully if I have to go for an HT.

I mean... I am effin balding when I am supposed to have strong genes against it.

Edited by David - Moderator

There are no active forum members that I know who have had one-and-done procedures 10 years or more prior.

Could be lurkers out there I guess though.

HTs just like the other alternatives require maintenance touchups as we age or in the case of hair greed for added density boost.

However, the only way one potentially would lose a substantial amount of hair post successful HT is from a scalp disorder or if the surgeon for some reason removed the grafts from outside the safe permanent zone (hence the importance of choosing an elite surgeon).

Though as we age native hair may continue to shed, some people may lose their responsiveness to Fin and some other gradual minor loss may occur.

The thing with HTs is that they only really fully mature - in both a positive and negative sense - somewhere between the 18-month and two year mark.

From the first 6 months to one year for example, you will have a majority of the new hairs all in the anagen growth phase at the same time so at the one year mark you typically get the Wow! type of explosive change in cosmetic appearance.

After that the normal hair cycles balance out and it may appear that the results have lost some steam, but what is actually happening is that your own native hair growth cycles are returning in respect to the new transplants.

In summary, (1) HT's are quite a permanent solution (2) but you may require some tuneups along the way, (3) and the time when you can fully judge the full results is not until 18-24 months later.

Point (3) is why I never recommend anyone have a procedure in the same area until that amount of time has passed.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I am not sure if posting another forum is allowed but this story I've read is very interesting. It seems to be way back in 2011.

Got a transplant at a very young age, then transplanted hairs started to decline at the 2 year mark. Another one tend to follow through that he has the same situation.

Another one that seems to have the same problem

Thought hair transplant could be my permanent solution not sure how rare are those cases but I hope someone who have a similar situation could speak up but I guess I have to think more carefully if I have to go for an HT.

I mean... I am effin balding when I am supposed to have strong genes against it.

Unfortunately, we do not allow linking to the Bald Truth as they have refused to link back to our site in the past.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

My first HT was almost 7 years ago, but by its lonesome it didn't satisfy my density needs, so i'm afraid I'm not a good candidate to address the ten year thinning mark based off the results of a single decade old procedure.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

From those 7 years though, did you notice a decline on the transplanted hairs as compared to like when you had it for a year or 2?
I can't say that I did, no.

I'll be ten years early next year , i had 1800 grafts into my crown with Dr Feller (hi Spex!).

I do not believe I've lost those hairs which gave me a decent coverage although not dense.

I've since had another 1000 in the crown by Dr Doganay which wasn't such a good end result but by fully commiting to Fin over the last 3 years I've had good regrowth and my hair looks ok / good until greasy or wet.

This is a tough comparison because when you think back over the past 10 years at all the changes that have occurred in HT industry in general, the possibility of results are more viable and more impressive now vs. 10 years ago.

I've been with Rahal for 7 years, and even in this time I've seen improvements in the size of cases, density that can be achieved, maximization of donor, etc. etc.

Plus, with progressive hair loss, there will always be room for long term refinement to any result.

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

This topic has been close to my heart , as I have always avoided the HT because of this factor , I have convincing evidence that after the first year or so the HT which looks WOW starts to decline in the following months and you Never get the Original 12 month WOW Factor back .

MY research led me to conclude that its mainly due to Lack of Blood supply and this was clearly explained by Dr. Feller a few years back on this Forum .

And I have met atleast 5 guys who echoed that their Transplants in the Frontal area fell off after the 16 month mark and never recovered , Not everything fell off , but the density was effected by atleast 30 % or More , which never got back .

Maybe I am wrong , But I hope if many members here could share their Journeys we could conclude on knowing the Truth .

This topic has been close to my heart , as I have always avoided the HT because of this factor , I have convincing evidence that after the first year or so the HT which looks WOW starts to decline in the following months and you Never get the Original 12 month WOW Factor back .

MY research led me to conclude that its mainly due to Lack of Blood supply and this was clearly explained by Dr. Feller a few years back on this Forum .

And I have met atleast 5 guys who echoed that their Transplants in the Frontal area fell off after the 16 month mark and never recovered , Not everything fell off , but the density was effected by atleast 30 % or More , which never got back .

Maybe I am wrong , But I hope if many members here could share their Journeys we could conclude on knowing the Truth .

I think this sounds more like a case of conjecture and managing expectations.

As good as modern HT's can be, you will not have the density of someone who never experienced hair loss.

I already explained this on page 1, and has been confirmed via email correspondence with Dr. Hasson, by speaking with other patients, and my own personal experience as a multiple HT veteran.

The thing with HTs is that they only really fully mature - in both a positive and negative sense - somewhere between the 18-month and two year mark.

From the first 6 months to one year for example, you will have a majority of the new hairs all in the anagen growth phase at the same time so at the one year mark you typically get the Wow! type of explosive change in cosmetic appearance.

After that the normal hair cycles balance out and it may appear that the results have lost some steam, but what is actually happening is that your own native hair growth cycles are returning in respect to the new transplants.

There is nothing strange, mysterious or nefarious going on, HT's require some maintenance especially after your native hair cycles balance out 18 months post-op, and as we continue to lose hair from the aging process and or lose responsiveness to Fin etc.

Touchups are the way to rectify this.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Ht is the best way to restore hair but people are different it might be the case for one person but not the other.

I Wonder if any clinics can share long term results of ht surgery or don't they keep in touch for this long?

My first HT procedure was in 1996 and had roughly 900 grafts. My second procedure was in 2001 for 1200 grafts, the third was in 2002 for 2500 grafts and the last procedure was in 2006 for roughly 2400 grafts.

Although it is difficult to say how many of the total grafts are still growing and providing visual coverage, I can say that I have retained decent coverage throughout the years.

In addition, I have seen guys who had plugs from the 80s and 90's who still have growth from them so I think it all depends on our genetic makeup and physiology that determines the longevity of our transplants.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY