25 year old.. Bad candidate for a transplant?

Hi guys I have been balding/thinning for a number of years now, I have been using toppik which seemed to help a lot but the past year it seems my hairs gone into overdrive with diffuse thinning everywhere with a receding hairline now, I can attach some pictures and let me.know what you guys think, I'm becoming desperate.. I use minoxdil once a day and nizoral shampoo. I tried finasteride but that poison gave me side affects after 2 weeks! Shrunken penis and ed! Luckily I am back to normal now but that is not an option again. Thanks.

My question is where do I go from here, would a mid/frontal transplant give me shock loss with the small amount of hair that is there already? Thanks.

20170402_232644.thumb.jpg.04455c31b65592c52db0d047bf90ec9b.jpg

20170402_232606.thumb.jpg.4a168ca03d7e1689a27996612a4f4c22.jpg

20170402_232451.thumb.jpg.fc97b455d6fb54a656f875b3b360c571.jpg

20170402_231247.thumb.jpg.aa2b128c0af35bbd1138508aec160b00.jpg

You have less hair loss than I had at 25, I think you're a fine candidate if you've stabilized your hair loss with finasteride.

Finasteride could potentially stabilize and bring back some of that crown.

I don't think two weeks was a sufficient enough trial period.

Just make sure you and your doc have a long term strategy for surgical restoration.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

You need an in person consult with a doctor you trust. Generally, a 25 year old that can't/won't take finasteride with what could be weak donor (can't tell) and an advanced pattern beginning to develop does not make a good candidate imo.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank you for the replys, the problem is the finasteride badly affected me and I don't want to mess with my hormones again. As I shave my back and sides really short to a 0, I guess you can't tell on the donor quality.

If I could have my 20's with a nice hairline and thickish front I would take that in a heartbeat :(

Thank you for the replys, the problem is the finasteride badly affected me and I don't want to mess with my hormones again. As I shave my back and sides really short to a 0, I guess you can't tell on the donor quality.

If I could have my 20's with a nice hairline and thickish front I would take that in a heartbeat :(

Your 20s are a drop in the bucket of your timeline on this earth, and you're half way through them, think long term, my friend.

HT's are for life, think about what's good for you for the rest of your days.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Your 20s are a drop in the bucket of your timeline on this earth, and you're half way through them, think long term, my friend.

HT's are for life, think about what's good for you for the rest of your days.

Excellent post. Long term planning is just about the most important aspect of a transplant.

I'm coming up on twenty years since my first ht, and thankfully Dr. Farjo could tell how my hair loss would likely progress and strongly recommended I kept a high hairline, despite my request to restore my teenage one. Now I'm in my mid forties I'm very glad I listened as it's completely age-appropriate. It also saved plenty of grafts which I used to address my crown a couple of years back.

Hairenvy,

As has been said, it's difficult to judge your donor quality/quantity from the pics, but as Spanker says, you should arrange an in-person consult with a reputable doc to decide how to tackle your situation. With sensible planning and the right surgeon you can achieve a positive, natural result. Best of luck with it.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

I agree with the others who have said that you should consult with a prescreened physician. In person of course. Honestly, it looks like you still have a lot of hair but if you have stabilized it with finasteride, you could potential he get a small hair transplant to thicken up the area. However, a lot of people would kill to have the amount of hair you have, frankly including me. And I have already had 9600 grafts. Don't get me wrong, I'm very satisfied with my work as I would be completely bald without it. However, you have a pretty thick head of hair with some mild thinning throughout the top which is hardly even noticeable at this early stage.

This kind of reminds me of how upset I started to get when I Saul a little bit of thinning in my crown. Had I known about hair transplant surgery back then and thought it was legitimate, I probably would've gone to a local doctor and tried to fill in the little bit of hair loss I had and later regretted it.

So maybe the pictures aren't showing the true and full story, but I would be very careful with proceeding at this early stage.

Best wishes,

Bill

eh, if you cannot handle finasteride then its not in your best interests to have a hat with diffuse loss. especially at such a young age.

I had my first transplant at 23, but was a good responder to finasteride

What are those two thick lines going up the back of your head? Or is it just a trick of the light?

Your hair still looks to be in good shape overall. 25 isn't too young to have a HT under the right conditions - those conditions mainly being stabilized hairloss and and an area to work on that wouldn't result, potentially, in shockloss and a need to chase future loss. From what you describe, it sounds like your loss is far from stable and could possibly increase leaving you with much less hair a year or so down the line. If a transplant were performed now, taking into account further loss, you might end up with no real difference.

You look like someone who would benefit from trying out a shaved head look. If you haven't tried that before, you might find you like it.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

You gotta atleast try RU or fin again at a lower dose and see how you tolerated it. At our age stabilization is a must before even considering an HT, especially as a diffuse thinner.

Even an HT with SMP I think would not be a great option for you based on hair color.

If fin really messed you up that bad then I completely understand not even wanting to entertain that idea. But I have seen guys go lower dose or use something like RU and be able to help with maintenance.