Should i do FUT or FUE, keep getting different opinions from every doc

csd5

Id like to get this done in the NJ, PA, NYC area

im 33 and been taking generic proscar finasteride for a few years 5mg split into 1.25

pics are attached

Ive spoken to Dorin he says 1600 FUE then back again for more down the road

Same with Dr Frank, same with Dr Feinberg.

Dr Feller and Bloxham say 3000 FUT between crown and hairline and back for more grafts for future surgeries

So confused on what to do lol

20170301_141942.thumb.jpg.243564a4d27d528e5343eead98eea51e.jpg

20170301_142010.thumb.jpg.b4f4bfebe819efca3b1261fe754c483b.jpg

20170301_133753.thumb.jpg.1a253e514d5463cdeec680cee0b3759e.jpg

20170301_130339.thumb.jpg.1baebb48d1bf0fc2c40bdbba0c60632e.jpg

20170301_085027.thumb.jpg.c139c2152f1694855225f72b79a3c958.jpg

Screenshot_20170301-142540.jpg.8896bf030fba55652c36c5f03f3979fd.jpg

hair2.jpg.0e3c5b73360e8514aebbf31e538dfcb8.jpg

hair1.jpg.c116ee039fd594130dcce3d861d29f83.jpg

hair33.jpg.7b069e2de482c33e2bfbaa62b73eb130.jpg

Edited by csd5

• Administrators

I'm genuinely surprised Dr. feller and Dr. bloxham would recommend so many grafts for the crown. Just yesterday they made a video talking about turning a guy in his early 30's away for a couple of years to see how he progresses. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with putting 3,000 grafts solely in the crown, sure the spot would be pretty filled, but what about if the front starts to go, 3,000 is almost half of most guys available donor supply. I'd love to hear their reasoning behind such a high number. Personally I would go with 1,600 grafts, mind you it won't be as full and dense but it would be best for now since you're still relatively young.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

No Feller and Bloxham said 3000 between the hairline AND the crown

I think HTsoon's point is that it's your crown that needs to be addressed primarily . Pictures can be deceiving , but your frontal scalp looks pretty solid at the moment .

If I were you , I'd go with the 1500 odd to the crown for now and see how things go.

Many doctors doing large cases on a patient who has a virgin donor supply prefer and advise starting your transplant journey by way of FUT, especially if you don't wear very short cropped hair styles.

The thinking behind this is to maximize and preserve as much donor for the future as possible.

Once someone begins the transplant journey they only have a finite donor supply to work with, so planning ahead is crucial.

FUT is the best way to preserve donor hair for future procedures in most medical opinions.

Many practices advise doing FUT until the scalp no longer can, usually two to three procedures, then using FUE once FUT is no longer a viable option or only a small number of grafts are needed.

If you're going to go with the 3,000 graft recommendation, FUT is probably the smartest path since you're relatively youthful and stand to likely lose some more hair down the road.

I also advise not to be regionally pigeonholed, although a couple of fine doctors do practice in your vicinity, branching out across the US or even into Canada to find a doctor that suits your needs is advisable.

I traveled from Texas to Oregon for multiple procedures, and the trek (minus one instance with the TSA) was well worth it and mostly hassle free.

Edited by Speegs

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

1600 is only enough to address the hairline, and that is with transplanting above the lowest hair that is almost gone, but putting in a stabilizing barrier and really drawing the line. The hairline looks pretty good and doesn't like it needs a heck of a lot of work.

3000 would allow you to go into your upper crown.

If it were me and I was just doing the hairline, I would go FUE. If you go into the crown, you need to do plenty of research in the pros and cons and work from there.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Many doctors doing large cases on a patient who has a virgin donor supply prefer and advise starting your transplant journey by way of FUT, especially if you don't wear very short cropped hair styles.

The thinking behind this is to maximize and preserve as much donor for the future as possible.

Once someone begins the transplant journey they only have a finite donor supply to work with, so planning ahead is crucial.

FUT is the best way to preserve donor hair for future procedures in most medical opinions.

Many practices advise doing FUT until the scalp no longer can, usually two to three procedures, then using FUE once FUT is no longer a viable option or only a small number of grafts are needed.

If you're going to go with the 3,000 graft recommendation, FUT is probably the smartest path since you're relatively youthful and stand to likely lose some more hair down the road.

I also advise not to be regionally pigeonholed, although a couple of fine doctors to practice in your vicinity, branching out across the US or even into Canada to find a doctor that suits your needs is advisable.

I traveled from Texas to Oregon for multiple procedures, and the trek (minus one instance with the TSA) was well worth it and mostly hassle free.

thanks for all the info, i was going to travel but it seems like its going to cost me between 9-13k regardless unless i go overseas

1600 is only enough to address the hairline, and that is with transplanting above the lowest hair that is almost gone, but putting in a stabilizing barrier and really drawing the line. The hairline looks pretty good and doesn't like it needs a heck of a lot of work.

3000 would allow you to go into your upper crown.

If it were me and I was just doing the hairline, I would go FUE. If you go into the crown, you need to do plenty of research in the pros and cons and work from there.

thanks a lot, the main purpose of why i started this journey is because of the crown, i can deal with the hairline (for now) since i can mask some of it with my other hair

thanks a lot, the main purpose of why i started this journey is because of the crown, i can deal with the hairline (for now) since i can mask some of it with my other hair
A caveat to that, however, framing your face is vital.

If you address your crown but not your hairline, and continue to lose hair in the front, then the restored crown will not look natural as it will not appear to follow a hair loss pattern found in nature.

The hairline frames the face, so if you have a robust crown and lose what's in front of it, it is going to have an awkward appearance.

If you start the transplant journey I would address both issues as a preventative measure.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• Administrators
No Feller and Bloxham said 3000 between the hairline AND the crown

Honestly, I wouldn't touch the crown until you are fully satisfied with the front, deciding on FUE or FUT depends on your goals, if you don't plan to cut your hair short go FUT, if you want the ability to buzz down the sides go FUE, regarding growth and yield, assuming you choose the right surgeon the difference between the two should be negligible.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would get on BRAND NAME Propecia and Rogaine for crown for 1 year before any surgery.

The Crown is a bottomless pit unless you can stop or at least slowdown the loss

Proscar was not meant to be cut into quarters to combat hair loss

Although this does work for some

Your crown does not look like it is getting the optimum benefit it could from this regimen

It may be but you will not know unless you try the drug actually studied for this, Propecia

In addition the active ingredient in Proscar may not be distributed evenly throughout the pill so you may not be getting the right amount daily when you cut it into parts

Even if it was, the active ingredient may be the same, but the effect may not be.

You have a great natural hairline design

Can you use a very small FUE procedure to the central frontage? Sure. But looks very good as is.

In addition to using Propecia, you may ask your dermatologist to add Avodart (off-label) to your weekly regimen. Some dermatologists prescribe a regimen of Propecia for 5 days (M,W,TH,F, Su) and Avodart for 2 days (Tu, Sa). Go through your dermatologist for this. the doctor will want to monitor your PSA.

As for Rogaine, THIS WILL WORK ON YOUR CROWN,

if you use 2x daily (day and night) without missing a dose for one year.

A year is not a long time and you may not even need a HT by this time next year.

In any case, you will not be worse off than now and then you can decide if surgery is your next step

Find a derm that is open to the propecia/avodart regimen

Wow. Heap of information there... I figured same active ingredient is the same thing... I'll call Dermo tomorrow to have the med changed to brand name Propecia..... As for the hairline.. It's definitely taking some kind of hit but I agree the crown is worse.... Thanks for all the great information and comments