FUE?FUT? little confused.

It is because it eliminates the big scar where they cut the strip in the donor area.

I went FUT because I always have my hair long anyway and figured I could hide the transplant better if I didn't have to shave my head. Not a good look for me.

Don't let 'popular' confuse you with what's best for you.

Consider the scarring from both procedures and your lifestyle and hair preference now and in the future.

If you like a buzzed look then FUE for aesthetic purposes would be the choice - if you're a long hair guy like me - let them strip you. Both choices have pros and cons but good solid research and the right surgeon choice will increase your odds of a great outcome.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

A good doctor doing FUE with a .8 punch or smaller will leave you with NO SCARS. I've had 4000 grafts taken out of my donor, my head is shaved right now, and you can't tell ANYTHING was done to it.

With fut aka strip you run risks of scar stretching and permanent numbness.

Bad strip scars....

https://www.google.com/search?q=strip+scar+hair&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinkOaO0PTRAhXIzVQKHZaECzUQ_AUICigD&biw=1517&bih=735#tbm=isch&q=bad+strip+scar+hair

FUT is for people who want to maximize potential graft count for the future.

FUT is typically better to start off with, and then FUE in future surgeries.

If you know for sure that you will be having one surgery in your lifetime for any reason then i guess FUE would be the better choice (from what i understand)

If you prefer to have shorter hairstyles and/or be able to shave down then FUE is the only way to go.

However, i'm not so sure where scar revision has reached and how well an FUT scar could be aesthetically improved...

^yeah, me too. I had 1070 FUE. when my hair is short you can definitely see a very defined rectangle where the grafts were removed. I guess its because it was a robot FUE and was programmed to only remove grafts within that rectangle.

If the graft removed from the donor were not confined to that rectangular area and spread out a little more it would probably not be as noticeable.

Plus if you are born with good hair density that helps too.

Not trying to discourage a FUE. A lot of guys donor area after FUE still looks good. but results vary

Edited by dagwood

There's an alarming sales tactic afoot with some proponents of FUE to say it is a scarless procedure, it most certainly is NOT.

Many prominent surgeons that can do both procedures (and frankly a surgeon should offer both) will tell you that large procedures will ideally utilize FUT to avoid transection and maximize the donor, ensure best graft survival, etc.

FUE is best used for smaller sessions, touch up work in the temples and crown, or to help revise and camouflage scars.

Know that this is SURGERY, scarring is inevitable, but a good surgeon will minimize it and not butcher you.

Most hair transplant scars are not visible to people that aren't looking for them, transplant patients and balding men are typically much more self conscious about their hair than anyone else ever will be that looks at you.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I believe even for a relatively small session (1500-2000 grafts), that FUT, still has its place for someones first transplant. This allows the person to still maximize the donor for future work to be done as opposed to starting with FUE and compromising the donor area. Especially for someone who doesn't shave their head.

As you can see from the replies above the opinions are varied so you're going to have to research it on here or other forums/RealSelf etc., and then decide yourself which is best for own individual case and preferences.

Some doctors do perform both FUE and FUT (Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Konior, Dr. Cooley etc.) so maybe best to have an in-person or at the very least online consultation with one of these docs to evaluate your situation and needs.

good luck

Oh and as you're in IL definitely have a consultation with Dr. Konior in Oakbrook Terrace.

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

If you listen to the Rolling Stones, get FUT, if you listen to Coldplay or Kanye, get FUE.

Hello KO,

Rolling Stones heh? I see. If I understand you correctly I think what you mean is if you want a bit more density go for FUT.

Hello KO,

Rolling Stones heh? I see. If I understand you correctly I think what you mean is if you want a bit more density go for FUT.

Density and longer hair styling options.

Unless you're planing on shaving your head to a buzz cut, there's no advantage to going FUE, and even then the lack of scarring is somewhat exaggerated.

Thank you guys for all your responses I greatly appreciated. I will most definitely do my research and learn more about these procedures. More than likely I will make an appointment to go see Dr. Konior, see what he thinks and understand my options.

- Can you guys please help me determine more or less how many grafts I would need?

- I not even sure what norwood category I am in? I posted some pics. Thanks again

5b32f1c6c3af5_Photoon2013-05-10at11_303.jpg.460800bc6d3b4b7f8e4ba747fb9f1980.jpg

5b32f1c6d244b_Photoon2013-05-10at11_275.jpg.fb764eff7a8e43b2972fb8b3b4b9cfeb.jpg

Get on finasteride soon, it could potentially slow down or even halt your thinning from worsening.

As it stands you have the early stages of classic male pattern baldness, and presently are in a Norwood 3 or Norwood 3A stage, as evidenced by your receding hairline and visible thinning in the front third of your scalp.

A rule of thumb to realize is that visible thinning only occurs when approximately half of your hair density has already been lost, so roughly half of the hair in your frontal scalp has left you, and potentially there is baldness elsewhere in the scalp that has not yet shed more than 50 percent of your density in the areas.

Finasteride is terrifically effective for most, it has halted my hairloss, I was a little balder than you in the front, and more severely receded, but the last two thirds of my scalp were/ are preserved by the finasteride.

Finasteride could probably allow you to pursue a relatively modest transplant of 2000 or so grafts to restore the appearance of your hairline and frontal density.

That depends upon your hair type, if it's fine it could require more.

I had Jude Law caliber baldness by age of 26, started taking finasteride at age 22, and only watched my frontal third erode.

Then I had a hair transplant for 2700 grafts to restore the hair line, but it wasn't enough, i looked better but more density was required.

So a year after my first transplant I got a second transplant of 2300 grafts, it lowered the hairline a bit and fleshed out a more satisfying density, but it still left a few spots susceptible to looking thin in harsh light.

So 5 years after my second HT I decided on a third, one purely for density augmentation, 1800 grafts places among the restored frontal third.

I now have a cosmetically full head of hair, and look better at 33 than I did at 23.

If you choose your doctor wisely it's not a decision you're going to regret.

And realize that without finasteride you'll continue to lose hair, and that even if you get one hair transplant, the likelihood of you wanting another for density is high.

If you listen to the Rolling Stones, get FUT, if you listen to Coldplay or Kanye, get FUE.

I guess I most be in the age group where I like the Stones and Coldplay but you can keep Kanye.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

Hey guys was doing some reading on Dr. keller in Chicago and there seems to be alot of hair transplant procedures. Is the FUE procedure the most popular in todays medical field? I hear alot about it.

FUE is less dated and less invasive than FUT, but you may prefer either method.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Density and longer hair styling options.

Unless you're planing on shaving your head to a buzz cut, there's no advantage to going FUE, and even then the lack of scarring is somewhat exaggerated.

Hello speegs,

Yes this is what I have read before also. It is a shame that doctors like Baubac I think still exclusively use FUE in their procedures. FUT may yield more density than FUE more chances than not.

• 3 months later...

Love it

If you listen to

Pearl Jam

Gunz & Roses

The Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Mo Town

Queen

Pink Floyd

Bob Seger

Metallica

You may be a good candidate for strip.

If you listen to

Skrillex

The Weeknd

David Guetta

21 pilots

One Direction

Chain Smokers

Ke$ha

Miley Cyrus

or, ironically, the song "I'm in love with a stripper"

You may be a good candidate for FUE.

I only listen to Justin Bieber, so I'm screwed.