Anyone regret getting a transplant?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there, after having gone through a procedure, later regretted it. (and I don't mean because of a botched procedure, of course. I mean, regretted it even after having gotten the expected results)

I am 31 years old and I am seriously considering getting a transplant done this coming summer (doctor recommends about 2000 grafts via FUT).

After reading various articles on different websites, it seems that getting a hair transplant, for the most part, is great. But it's hard to read 'real' information about what life is like after getting a procedure.

It seems that it can take up to 18 months for the surgery to take a turn for the 'natural looking,' and extensive care and treatment is also involved post-surgery.

Also, I have read that after getting FUT, exercise should be avoided. I'm a regular gym-goer and do other sports. I don't know if I would be comfortable with not being able to lift for such a long time (perhaps one can begin exercise after a month or so without any negative effects?).

Also, as most people who get a transplant are aware of, typically one is not enough. Has anyone found this to have ruined their 'hair-transplant experience?' I mean, if you choose not to get any kind of follow-up work, I imagine that one would look funny or 'unnatural.' So, it's kind of like, once you do the first one, you're pretty much in it for the rest of your life.

Anyway, just curious as to how other people feel.

Thanks for any advice/replies/comments/thoughts/opinions

My transplants have made a big difference to my appearance so I have no regrets!

Depending on your level of hair loss, if only 2000 grafts are needed FUE may be a better option. Heavy exercise like lifting should be avoided for at least 2 months following FUT but much less so for FUE. Post some pics and I'm sure some of the experienced guys will give you some advice.

I had a fue done 1070 grafts. It wasn't enough to make my hairline look good but it was enough to make it look not bad, which means a lot to me. My hairline had a weird uneven "V" shape to it and it receded back pretty far. It just looked stupid on me, I hated it. A lot of people noticed an commented on it too.

Even though my hairline still has somewhat of a V shape to it, now its a wide V. and the bulk of the bald area is filled in. I think 200 or 300 grafts more on the hairline at this point would be nice to top it off.

I probably wouldn't have gotten a transplant if my hair loss didn't stabilize at some point. Of course you don't want to get a transplant and have massive hairloss afterward, and be left with a bizzare balding pattern. The doc insisted I take finasteride for this reason. He said you might need a new transplant every 5 years if you don't take finasteride.

I don't regret getting a transplant at all. I was pretty nervous and unsure about it but I'm glad I did it. I think FUT and FUE both have there advantages, I would be happy with either.

I had a fue done 1070 grafts. It wasn't enough to make my hairline look good but it was enough to make it look not bad, which means a lot to me.

Hello dagwood,

I can imagine what you are going though. Want to know if you had the option to get FUT instead? Did your doctor recommend FUE over FUT?

I'm in the same boat and want to decide whether to get FUT or FUE. I am leaning towards FUT based on what I have read about it because hair follicles last longer under FUT. WHat do you think?

Hello dagwood,

I can imagine what you are going though. Want to know if you had the option to get FUT instead? Did your doctor recommend FUE over FUT?

I'm in the same boat and want to decide whether to get FUT or FUE. I am leaning towards FUT based on what I have read about it because hair follicles last longer under FUT. WHat do you think?

Why would a follicle last longer via fut than fue?

Why would a follicle last longer via fut than fue?

Hello mikeyhwk,

What I meant to say was more follicles survive under FUT than FUE. At least that is my understanding based on what I have read over time. It is possible that I could be wrong. I have also seen bad FUTs and good FUEs. This is an area that I need clarification in.

Hello dagwood,

I'm happy with the FUE, but I think I would have got the FUT if I could go back.

the doc discussed both options but didn't really suggest either. I was impressed by the FUE robot, and was convinced it was the ultimate method of hair transplant. I didn't like the thought of getting my head butchered for a FUT either.

the FUT sounds very painful, but I remember the scalp was so numb during my operation it wouldn't have made a difference.

I didn't like the idea of a FUT scar either but the FUE left its mark on back of my head. Most guys FUE donor heals and not noticeable. My donor has a defined rectangular shape that looks eaten away at when my hair is very short.

The FUT is supposed to have a higher rate of transplanted follicles that survive because when they punch out the hairs for FUE there is a chance of destroying it.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there, after having gone through a procedure, later regretted it. (and I don't mean because of a botched procedure, of course. I mean, regretted it even after having gotten the expected results)

I am 31 years old and I am seriously considering getting a transplant done this coming summer (doctor recommends about 2000 grafts via FUT).

After reading various articles on different websites, it seems that getting a hair transplant, for the most part, is great. But it's hard to read 'real' information about what life is like after getting a procedure.

It seems that it can take up to 18 months for the surgery to take a turn for the 'natural looking,' and extensive care and treatment is also involved post-surgery.

Also, I have read that after getting FUT, exercise should be avoided. I'm a regular gym-goer and do other sports. I don't know if I would be comfortable with not being able to lift for such a long time (perhaps one can begin exercise after a month or so without any negative effects?).

Also, as most people who get a transplant are aware of, typically one is not enough. Has anyone found this to have ruined their 'hair-transplant experience?' I mean, if you choose not to get any kind of follow-up work, I imagine that one would look funny or 'unnatural.' So, it's kind of like, once you do the first one, you're pretty much in it for the rest of your life.

Anyway, just curious as to how other people feel.

Thanks for any advice/replies/comments/thoughts/opinions

Not sure you will get many replies form people saying they regret their transplant if they got satisfactory expected results, I remember reading about a well known hair transplant mentor who said if he had his time again he would have remained bald ,which I was surprised by as his end results were pretty good, mind you he had two failures to begin with so I guess that coloured his whole experience.

In my opinion anyone who goes ahead with a transplant has reached the end of the line

and a transplant is the only solution, in my case even if i had barely an acceptable outcome it would have been better than pre-op, the thing that surprised me the most was how natural the

transplants were from the get go, even at the 3 month stage the new hair looked like normal hair ,

maybe I was just lucky all I can say it was the best thing I have done in my life as I was pretty

depressed about the whole horseshoe look, new vistas have opened up in my life .

I had FUE IF I had gone the FUT route i definitely would have put the gym on hold just to give the scar the best chance of healing.

Just to add regarding having to have a second transplant to finish the job if the first transplant was done well and a natural result achieved, a second one in most cases should be choice, I am going to have a second one, but as it is now it stands alone and is an amazing improvement.

Edited by Mick50

I regret having a transplant. First and foremost, i did it way too young. Was 22 at the time. Now im soon 27.

I could just be happy with my natural high hairline i was given since birth, but i need a follow up which sucks, because i remember the psychological trauma attached to this. I have no hairloss and thats why i did the transplant.

The reason i did the transplant in the first place was to lower my hairline but the most important thing was it to look natural. Now i hide my hairline and i usually wear some sort of a fringe. To be honest with you guys i woulda just kept my natural hairline instead of going through this process.

I had my hair transplant done in 2006

It was 4000 grafts via fut and got an amazing result.

I was so very fortunate that I was an early grower in that pretty much my final result had grown in

by the 6th month

I have been dillegant in using proscar and minoxidil on a daily basis

I cannot see my scar but I know it's there and that is my only regret.... I sometimes think I would like to fill it in.

I'm great full that I had an awesome result !!

I truly feel for the guys that have not been so fortunate

I don't regret mine at all, I'm approaching 50 and I feel and look much younger.

Life has been amazing after my first successful procedure and I haven't looked back since.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)