Will my hair cover my scar?

Gromace

I originally had 1600 via FUT. To get more coverage, i recently under went 2300 FUE. Its been 4 weeks exactly today. Ive been letting my hair grow since. Density was something i was aware of in the donor area but Im noticing its pretty bad now. At this rate, it concerns me that i wont be able to hide the scar with long hair anymore. Is this normal at this stage? Has anyone experience this? Thanks

20161230_135032.thumb.jpg.661dc9515de7bf33b32b4e36ce35fb54.jpg

20161230_135015.thumb.jpg.587181800964d4a9c8d3e0fcbf80e5c4.jpg

Yes..I actually consulted in person with 2 drs. I brought this up and they both said i wouldnt notice a difference.

Cut to the 1 week follow up, the dr said i had thin hair, my hair will eventually grow back but it needs to be a little longer to hde the scar. He also suggested SMP to hide he scar...

4 weeks later, it looks worse! Maybe it is the shock loss...hopefully it is and it grows back. These first few weeks are brutal on your mind.

I just had FUE as well and have a pre existing scar . I am using "Joan Rivers" fill in powder (sold on amazon) to conceal the scar and it actually works very effectively in the short term until your hair grows back fully. But yes , it is a painfully slow process. At the rate my hair is growing right now, it probably won't be anywhere close to full growth (for the prior hair) until 2-3 months out .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your scar is not all that bad and think at around the 2-2.5 month mark it should be getting close to unnoticeable. Just gotta wait it out a bit more.

Agree with the above post as well, find some way to conceal it for the next month or so.

I used one of my wife's makeup pencils last time I had my donor shaved and it worked perfect.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thanks guys.

This fue session has been harder. My wife said i wasnt this bad when i had the first ht. I kinda notcied it myself. Im constantly checking, worrying, and reading online this time around. Internet forums are filled with horror stories that doesnt help either.

I actually ordered dermmatch yesterday. Hopefully it will work in the meantime while my head heals. FORTUNE, how is your donor area doing? Do you have a lot of itchiness? The back of my head still itches lot. Its not as bad as before but still feels like fire sometimes...

For the itchiness or dryness you can try hyrdocortisone cream with aloe vera (Kirkland makes a good one), but run it past your surgeon first.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

While your donor density does seem rather low and I see why you're concerned, I don't think your scar looks as noticeable as you think it does, and I think it will get better over the course of the next few months. My donor area continued to increase for the full year following my HT. Try not to look at it everyday as this will only increase your stress levels and won't help you in the long run.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure the scar with diminish but I'm not sure why you didn't go with FUE to be certain. I know it's a little more but the whole point of this investment was to protect your image...

I had 2200 grafts via FUE no prob, I would've jumped for the chance if I'd only needed 1600.

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016

Finasteride daily, since 2014

Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)

• 2 months later...

Judging from your pictures at 4 weeks following your repeat transplant of 2300 grafts, I don’t expect a drastic improvement in the patchy look of the back of your head later on. Although as your hair will grow further, it might improve your coverage a bit, but I feel that it won’t be still enough to cover all the empty areas. It’s still a bit early to predict the extent of full coverage possible but we could have a much better idea after around 2 more months.

Online Representative and Patient Advisor for:

Dr. Kapil Dua, AKClinics - Hair Transplant in Delhi, Ludhiana and Bangalore, Chennai - India.

Dr. Kapil Dua, Board of Governor at ISHRS(USA), Board of Governor at AAHRS, President of AHRS India

is a recommended surgeon at Hair Transplant Network.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Agree with the others to give it some additional time & growth. All you need is something to minimize the contrast between your hair and scalp in the meantime. Dermatch can work wonders! Worst case, I've seen SMP (done correctly) cover strip scars very well.

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies. To give everyone an update.

By the end of feb, my hair started to grow back thicker. I did take the advice to use dermmatch. It worked well and helped hid the scar. Now, ive stopped the dermmatch and i can shave my hair with a #5 guard and it looks ok. There is patchiness on the sides from the fue. I have mixed feelings on the last HT. My front looks better to a point but the back and sides are a mess. Its been 7 months since the op. Looking at my hair, i dont think i have it in me for another ht.

I am really considering SMP on the scar. Ive had fue into the scar as well and it has helped but not to the point where i can shave my hair really short. I know Smp wont make the scar invisible, but I'm hoping it will allow me to shave my hair short with at least #2 guard. If anyone has experience/advice, or recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated. Im out in ca.

Thanks everyone for the support. Ill keep everyone posted when i go through smp.

5b32f4f0835d5_2017-07-2319_05_25.thumb.jpg.9a018a805a1f85c291e4c8ea6eea3d82.jpg

5b32f4f09ba96_2017-07-2319_03_59.thumb.jpg.d0ca0c4efb3eafa230657b1c3d834e9c.jpg