How many grafts....

Hey Guys,

First time poster, long time follower.

27 - first noticed hair loss around 24.

I just wanted some opinions with respect to the appropriate amount of grafts to give the desired effect.

My hair is of fine texture and has always been thin around the temporal area. Not currently suffering with any diffuse loss within the crown region.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cambero!

IMG_20161224_161915.thumb.jpg.c143107bf3f5cc9ce70bb85d9a743d0a.jpg

IMG_20161224_161846.thumb.jpg.ce39c626577bcce4652134c98988fc3b.jpg

IMG_20161224_161850.thumb.jpg.773a2fc086507483e2f4a166e860d6a5.jpg

IMG_20161224_161622.thumb.jpg.89e7d3c040cb17b63bf0984432512c06.jpg

zero x 2 brotha. You don't need a hair transplant with that great looking head of hair of yours. It seems like you have a naturally maturing hairline which is completely normal as men age.

In any case, the decision is solely yours, but from experience from my two surgeries, I wouldn't recommend a HT for anyone unless they have noticeably thinning or balding, never for someone who has a bit of a mature hairline.

For that amount of recession it is just not worth the risk. Your hair is maybe an "8.75 out of 10". You could roll a dice ,sure you could get a "9.5" or a "10", but you could easily get a "4".

Sometimes it is best to just leave the dice well alone.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks for the advice guys.

It's taken me 3\4 years to get to this point without any medical intervention.

I won't be pursuing this route straight away but as it currently stands what would you think

600\700 grafts?

What area would that number actually cover?

A surgeon who wants to make some money will tell you probably 1000, just so they can get their "minimum" in.

A more ethical surgeon will tell you less probably, but the most ethical will tell you don't do it.

KO and I have disagreed about the naturalness of HT hairlines; however, we are both in agreement: 0 grafts.

For the record, I don't think it's possible to make a hairline look natural for such a small amount. I think KO feels differently.

Maybe also depends on hair characteristics. If it is possible, I think it works better with darker hair; not your hair color.

But in any event there's a too many variables for things to go wrong for such a small amount of "maturing" to your hairline.

I honestly would suggest meds. I think too many people have been so put off by "avoiding" medications in general throughout all of society (ex, anti-vaccine parents!), that the safety of trying Finasteride or even Rogaine is being unfairly undermined at the expense of guys' emotional and psychological health.

In any case, most of the guys in these medicine-only case studies have had significantly more hair loss than you, and you can see how well they have responded to meds - without having to subject their bodies to the incredibly intrusive nature of the blade and bloody surgery. Literally, bloody surgery. This is not a light "procedure". Give the meds a try first, mate. Look at the below photos:

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/patient-photos/

Edited by harryforreal
Spelling Rogaine

Dude, dont do it. You can create more problems if you go through with this. I think any doc that takes you is unethical at this stage. That sweet hairline you got can end up with shockloss and mis angled hairs that vary in diameter and density. It can make those transplanted hairs stick out and look unnatural. Wait till you at leadt have a legit Norwood 3 to consider proceeding. Seriously, some of us wish we had folks stop us in our tracks and persuade us to not do this. Instead some may have had elaborate reps or marketers think anything was possible and docs that may have given false promises. Be very careful and trust me your hair is good for now. Dont try to fix what ain't broken. Good luck.

Guys, thanks o much for the very informative advice!

I'm going to hold off on the HT until I notice considerable regression in the hairline! I haven't really seen much change over the past few years, hopefully it remains relatively stable and I can reconsider in the future.

Would it still be possible to go and get a consultation with a potential surgeon for future reference - just to identity if I currently possess the metrics to be a good candidate? I literally live in Vancouver and would love to just stop by at H + W and see what an expert says about the current situation.

Cheers

Guys, thanks o much for the very informative advice!

I'm going to hold off on the HT until I notice considerable regression in the hairline! I haven't really seen much change over the past few years, hopefully it remains relatively stable and I can reconsider in the future.

Would it still be possible to go and get a consultation with a potential surgeon for future reference - just to identity if I currently possess the metrics to be a good candidate? I literally live in Vancouver and would love to just stop by at H + W and see what an expert says about the current situation.

Cheers

I think that's a good idea...although I'd make an appt and not just stop by.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Good move Cambero,

Some folks wish they had hair like you.

It doesn't hurt getting a doctor opinion. You can ask HW for a consult, but your pics look clear that you do not need anything at this stage.

This surgery if done at a wrong loss stage or improperly done can ruin people's lives. I know way too many folks who are repair repeats and wasted thousands of dollars. Some had hair like you, they messed with it via surgery, now they are more screwed and chasing fixes and ways to remedy the situation for past several years.

Id talk to you in person if you were on East coast. I cant stress how dangerous a surgery can be at this stage. Surgery when done wrong is dangerous, but having so much healthy hair in a zone that doesnt require surgery, is also dangerous and can negatively be impacted

Best of luck..

Again, thanks for the advice guys - it's definitely halted me in my tracks with respect to possibly undergoing a HT in the near future!

In the position that I'm currently in what would you guys indicate in terms of grafts to fill those denoted areas? Obviously I'm not going to pursue this route I'd just like to keep track of things as time elapses so I have control on my current state of affairs!

Cheers Guys!