Melbourne to Brussels x 2 with Dr Bisanga

Anthony777

Hair goes

1992: I had my first strip procedure in 1992 when I was 22 years old with Dr Barry White here in Melbourne Australia. I am now 46 years old. (1992 was almost pre internet, so research was very limited.) I had 2 or 3 procedures with Dr White. I'm not sure how many grafts in total, but by today’s standards, the results were poor.

2005: Around 2005 I had another procedure with Dr Jenifer Martinick, during my consultation with Dr Martinick, I was told this would be last strip procedure as my donor hair was very limited. In ~

2006: I had strip revision again with Dr Martinick, the idea of this was to reduce my scar so I was able to cut my hair shorter.

During my surgeries in Australia, I would have had around 3500 grafts transplanted in total, but to me it looked like only about 1500. A few years ago I started to do some research online and was very impressed by the results people were getting with the latest hair transplant techniques. I then found “Hair Restoration Social Network” and started looking into reputable surgeons. My donor hair, being very limited and strip no longer being an option, I was looking for a surgeon who had the expertise in performing both FUE and Body Hair Transplants. After some extensive research I managed to find a few doctors in different countries that I felt could address my specific needs. My home being in Melbourne Australia made it difficult for me, both geographically and economically, to travel to a few other countries for consultations. I decided the best way around this was to arrange to meet two of my selected doctors at the ISHRS convention in Malaysia. The consultations were for October of:

2014: The doctors were Dr Jose Lorenzo and Dr Christian Bisanga. They both have an excellent reputation world wide and also on this forum. My first consultation was with Dr Jose Lorenzo followed by Dr Bisanga. After much deliberation I chose

Dr. Bisanga. I found him to be more approachable and thorough in the consultation, and also felt he was more comfortable with body hair transplants and a lot more optimistic.

In my long journey with hair transplantation of the years I would highly recommend travelling to any of the conventions held worldwide. Here you will have the opportunity to meet with some of the very best practitioners in hair restoration in the world, all in one place! Having decided on Dr. Bisanga for my surgery I took the leap and booked my surgery.

I arranged for 3 weeks leave from work. I flew to Brussels. The flight was around 26 hours in duration ~ Melbourne to Singapore, Singapore to Dubai, Dubai to Brussels.

2015: End of March ~ I checked into the Hotel Catalonia in Brussels around lunchtime on the Saturday, I pretty much slept most of the time until my first day of surgery on the Monday. I arrived at 8am sharp as requested, filled out the paperwork and had a quick consultation with the Doctor. I changed into a gown and had some photos taken. The time had finally arrived and I was ready for my:

‘DAY ONE’ of surgery ~ 1200 FUE head hair.

‘DAY TWO’ of surgery ~ 700 grafts from Head, 557 from Beard and 335 from Chest.

I found day two a little more difficult. The procedure started at 10am and ended around 8pm. The beard hair went into my strip scar, and I found this part of the procedure to be the only uncomfortable part of the whole surgery. It was late in the day and I was beginning to feel a little restless. In my opinion FUE is a walk in the park compared to strip. Healing time is so much faster.

My first procedures with Dr. Bisanga were complete! I was ready to fly back home.

I was given a black bandanna to wear and a letter from BHR, explaining that I just had surgery, in case I was questioned by customs. I skipped through passport control and customs without a problem.

I was very happy with the outcome of the first surgery and returned 12months later..

2016: March ~ Procedure: 1217 FUE grafts and 890 beard hair.

On this trip I returned home around 4 days before the Brussels airport bombing and security was a lot higher this time around. I was questioned on arrival on my reasons for visiting Brussels and had to provide documents of my hotel reservations and credit cards details. 
On leaving when going through security they asked me to remove the bandanna. I showed them the letter and was subsequently taken to a private room to show I wasn’t hiding anything.

I wanted to share a little bit of my story here on “Hair Restoration Social Network” as it has provided me with not only a lot of information in solving my hair loss problems but also in providing a support network for myself and others in my situation. This whole ‘hair loss experience’ can be a very traumatic experience and it’s comforting to know that “Hair Restoration Social Network” and other reputable hair loss forums are out there in support of our hair loss journey. 

As you can see from the photos of my original surgery, it wasn’t pretty.

NOW: I can go out in public without wearing a baseball cap and not feel so self-conscious.

I would like to thank DR. BISANGA and his TEAM. It’s a very emotional journey, as I’ve already mentioned, and travelling across the other side of the world to have surgery doesn’t make it any easier. DR. BISANGA and his TEAM looked after me very well, and I am extremely happy with the results. I highly recommend

Dr. Bisanga and his whole team. Thank you to STEVEN and DANIEL from BHR for answering ALL MY questions and for guiding me through the whole process. 

I would also like to thank Acting and Mickey85, two members here on this forum that helped me make an informative decision.

I would also like to thank the Hair Restoration Social Network. There is a lot of information on here detailing everyone’s experiences… It makes it a lot easier to find a suitable doctor.

28650.jpg.2e3f195d16c125c5ec51316d2da2f18b.jpg

day3.4.thumb.jpg.7a1a805a2e4e30f49514b26b883d210b.jpg

day3.2.thumb.jpg.65c757715df783b8eb05f8c4161d63b9.jpg

28850.jpg.ee0629f8098515c93e098ca8912f15b9.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations. Really pleased that Dr. Bisanga has turned things found for you.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

• 2 months later...

Hi Anthony777,

Your hair looks fantastic. A great result.

Just wondering how your previous strip scar looks after having the beard hairs grafted into it? Has it camouflaged the strip scar nicely?

Looking at traveling from Australia to Belguim to see dr B for a HT and previous strip scar repair with beard hairs. I would ideally love to trim the sides down a bit shorter but with the strip scar makes it hard. Do you think you could buzz the sides shorter now after grafting the beard hair into the scar?

I know what you mean being in Australia does make it hard when having to travel across the other side of the world. It's a bit daunting

Hi Khop

I sent you a PM

Please see attached photos, before and after.

The 2nd photo was 12 months after the beard hair transplant

Depending on your age etc. Dr B may suggest a scar revision instead?

Depending on the results, you should be able to buzz down to a #3 no problem.

Possibly #2

Hope this helps

Regards

Anthony

IMG_6662.thumb.jpg.0abd953514553b7c2fa81deceea8973b.jpg

IMG_6175.thumb.jpg.6cc7cc563ef23b766c7c4a74bddb269b.jpg

Edited by Anthony777
more info

• 7 months later...

Thank you, Anthony, for the update, the extensive review, and the nice words. Glad you are happy and wish you well and also important don't forget to enjoy your new coupe of hair from time to time :).

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com