Propecia effects apparently permanenet, so why do surgeons prescibe it?

greyG

I've noticed that alot of surgeons prescribe propecia to ppl looking into an HT.. Or who have undergone one.. Did abit of research into it online and it appears it causes permanent ED..

Spoke to one surgeon and he said its a trade off.. To me its not..

So despite knowing about this... why are they still pushing it?

I think most respected and ethical clinics these days do acknowledge the risk, and will recommend lower dosages M-W-F etc to reduce possible side effects.

As for the unscrupulous clinics out there, they know it will boost their final results and will use that to their advantage in subsequent marketing and advertising.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Fin really slowed down my hairloss over the last 7 years. I try to take it every day but sometimes miss a day or 2. I think I remember reading that it only stays in your system for 24 hours (but I could be wrong). It would be great to cut down to M-W-F.

• Administrators

Psychiatrists still prescribe SSRI medications that cause similar side effects and suicidal thoughts, they prescribe them because the side effects are rare, the chances of them prescribing the medication to someone who has persistent side effects are slim.

It's a personal decision it may not be a trade off to you but to many men it is, especially young guys, I've heard of young guys in their late teens taking oral spiro and dutasteride to try and stop hair loss essentially chemically castrating themselves. I took finasteride when I was 21 developed side efffects they went away a few months after I stopped. It's been my personal decision to not take it, hair loss is important but I'm not willing to deal with the side effects my personal decision but I can't say "stop prescribing" just cause I had a negative experience many men don't.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

There is another thread on fin causing suicide yet to see the evidence for it…

The side effects on SSRI etc meds is real and not rare but the doctors prescribe them as they see them to be better for the person in relation to the illness/problem.

Regarding suicide and meds that’s why the doctor / psychiatrist have to check the patient for that as well.

I can tell you I had many side effects from SSRI meds yet i and many others are still prescribed them.

I mean if the side effects were really bad then they may change the med or stop it for something else again this is for the doctor / psychiatrist to decide but they are much different than fin?

It is a personal decision but when you’re young you don’t think that much of the risks. When I decided to do something about my hair loss the clinic i went to just gave me 1mg 1 month supply Propecia and said read the leaflet inside that was it.

I was too concerned about my hair loss to worry about any possible side effects. The clinic treats hair loss but makes money too so I can understand why they don't want to scare customers away!

Propecia is the best for hairloss but the risk of the sexual side effect is real and if you talk about this many in the hair industry don't like it and the person could even be blacklisted for expressing their opinion.

I bet many take fin but don't like too.

I take it now 0.5mg half a tab a day but when i read up on it and some days when i don’t feel well I don’t take it.I think people who prescribe fin need to do more tests and checks.

The other safer but not as good alternatives non-meds would be min, lipo shampoo, supplements, etc

I've taken fin daily for 17 years with no sides. Thought I was the norm until joining this forum back in January. Maybe I'm the exception?

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

In all fairness I think it was the depression and life events which caused my low libido.

On the plus side since taking fin and seen the improvement to my hair it has made me feel good so that’s helping my libido!

There is a reason fin is on private prescription...

What I don't like is the fact that it has to be taken for long and interfering with the body natural working

I've taken fin daily for 17 years with no sides. Thought I was the norm until joining this forum back in January. Maybe I'm the exception?

I'm in the same boat. 13 years and no sides.

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I bought Propecia from Turkey where I had my HT done, but don't know any place in UK. Could someone help.

Thanks

There are places on the internet that sell the Fin' variants , but don't know which ones are trutworthy . I'll try and find out and update if I get any joy .