Use of Toppik in recipient area may affect growth?

Hi All,

I've been searching around and there is not convincing answer on whether the use of fibres such as Toppik has a negative impact the on the growth of the transplant follicles. Please see the attached photo of me at 2.5 months post op, no growth I am in the ugly duckling stage. With the use of Toppik I can really beef up my hair where I can almost achieve the look of a full buzzed head of hair. I have tried this at home a few times for 5 mins and washed it off.

If you refer to my previous 2 threads I am coming from 7 years in a hair piece and never wish to go back to those days. Anyway my question is can I expect the same results wearing Toppik everyday for the next 3-4 months (where it will be worn reasonably heavily and some will obviously be directly sitting on my scalp) as opposed to not wearing it at all?

I'm thinking the follicles need to be able to breathe and I am told Toppik has some sort of aluminium in it? Surely that cannot be good for the scalp or healthy hair growth????

thumbnail_IMG_0210.thumb.jpg.4c4fbbab5bfd0f9b9b791b3e42c775ff.jpg

Edited by Jdog

• Administrators

Consult with your clinic but after 2 weeks or when most of the scabs have come off it's okay to use toppik, remember the folllicle is dormant for the first three months, toppik should have no effect on the grafts.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I also concur that wearing Toppik will not have an adverse impact on the regrowth and also agree to wash it off every night.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

J,

Like others have stated, it will not affect the growth -- at face value, at least. But each clinic has their own rules as to when you can start using it after a transplant. Make sure you avoid it until they give you the "ok." From that point on, it shouldn't have any effect.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Why is it important to wash it of and then apply it again in 8 hours

Washing the scalp clean will allow the scalp to breath freely.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I personally do not believe that not washing it off would be detrimental because Toppik is comprised of protein fibers that are negatively charged so they stick to the hair shafts...kind of like a magnetic charge. The protein fibers generally do not stick to the scalp surface like Dermatch which is a scalp concealer and applied directly to the scalp surface.

So when it is suggested to wash the Toppik off every night has to do with scalp hygiene more than anything else.

Gillenator

I understand. But what would happen if you didn't wash it off? And let's say you wash it of before going to sleep would letting it breathe for 10 hours really matter?

I'm not a doctor but to my knowledge the follicles live underneath the skin, so they don't need to breath air. All they need is the blood flow underneath the scalp. what they grow above the skin ( the hair) is dead.

My thought exactly even if it was dermmatch, how would you like that impact the grafts beneath the skin? And since you can use it after a month what impact would it have not washing of the dermmatch?

Just speaking from personal experience, when I used to wear hair systems for over a decade, I virtually lost all of the native hair directly underneath the system. When I finally had my first HT procedure, and quit wearing hair systems altogether, a significant amount of my native hair grew back.

So for hair to grow in a healthy environment, the scalp does need to breathe.

Gillenator