how to bring shampoo back home when you have hair transplant abroad?

You've got a couple of choices .

Either pay for baggage to be checked in , or buy the same ( or similar ) products when you get back to the UK .

I've heard a few patients saying the put the lotions in the hand luggage and got through the scanners without any questions . Depends how much they've tightened up on security following the events of the last year or so.

Pretty much saying it all.

From Istanbul to London to be precise.

Cheers!

Teddy, which clinic? I went to ASMED and both the foam and the shampoo are 100ml bottle so they are fine to put in hand luggage. If its another clinic, just email your clinic and ask what size the bottles are. If its over 100ml but you ideally want to avoid the cost of adding hold baggage then just pay extra for hold baggage on the return flight only.

Teddy, which clinic? I went to ASMED and both the foam and the shampoo are 100ml bottle so they are fine to put in hand luggage. If its another clinic, just email your clinic and ask what size the bottles are. If its over 100ml but you ideally want to avoid the cost of adding hold baggage then just pay extra for hold baggage on the return flight only.

The one way hold baggage is a good idea . Could also just take a few 100ml bottles over and decant it if necessary ( assuming it's not an aerosol ),

My clinic gave me a doctor note saying they have to allow me to bring both bottles even if they are 250ml and on Turkish Airlines website it's told there are exemptions for meds.

I'm a bit confused though. I might try to pass the security and if they tell me something I will show the note, but this makes me feel uncomfortable already.

Thanks for all you replies buddies.

• Moderators

I love the idea of mailing it to yourself.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

My clinic gave me a doctor note saying they have to allow me to bring both bottles even if they are 250ml and on Turkish Airlines website it's told there are exemptions for meds.

I'm a bit confused though. I might try to pass the security and if they tell me something I will show the note, but this makes me feel uncomfortable already.

Thanks for all you replies buddies.

Okay firstly I would suggest you make life/the journey home as stress free as possible. Having a HT can be stressful and post surgery I personally suggest you don't want to add in any other factors that might add to that.

Why are you so hesitant to check in your luggage? At least that way it wouldn't be an issue. To be honest I normally try and do hand luggage only as it's quicker and cheaper and I'm one of those people that can't get off a flight quick enough. However for the return flight I was mindful of anything that might potentially effect my transplant or add extra stress. To avoi accidentally getting knocked I requested a window seat. I also purposely checked in my bag as I didn't want to be picking up luggage over my head to put it in the overhead lockers as this would raise blood pressure in the head. Also once we landed I waited until majority had got off to once again avoid getting knocked in the hustle and bustle of people rushing to get off.

You haven't suggested so, but if paying for checking in the bags is one of the reasons then consider that you have just paid hundreds or more likely thousands of pounds/euros for a HT and this isn't the time to save 20-30 pounds or euros.

If you do decide to use the clinic note and take it in your carry on luggage then keep in mind that you now have to go through security twice now at both Istanbul airports. First as you immediately get into the airport and again after passport control. So you'll have to explain yourself twice if challenged. Asmed gave me a note (even though they were both under 100 ml) but I was a little skeptic as to whether airport security might challenge it as its not really medicine or they at least they may not perceive it as such.

Finally, I personally wouldn't risk mailing it. What if it gets lost or damaged in the post, leaks or takes several days to arrive?

Anyway good luck with your surgery.

I've heard a few patients saying the put the lotions in the hand luggage and got through the scanners without any questions . Depends how much they've tightened up on security following the events of the last year or so.

Aaaaand we have a winner!!! Hahahaha thanks Chris! :)

Also thanks to all who replied especially JustJax who i felt very close in trying to help and be as specific as he could to make me relieve a bit of stress. You're the man mate.

Any suggestion about first shampoos now?

I feel like I could be using too much lotion, is that dangerous?

Is it right you can rub the donor area but not the recipient?

How long should I use the special shampoo kit if everything goes well (cross fingers for me please)?

Thank you guys!

Aaaaand we have a winner!!! Hahahaha thanks Chris! :)

Also thanks to all who replied especially JustJax who i felt very close in trying to help and be as specific as he could to make me relieve a bit of stress. You're the man mate.

Any suggestion about first shampoos now?

I feel like I could be using too much lotion, is that dangerous?

Is it right you can rub the donor area but not the recipient?

How long should I use the special shampoo kit if everything goes well (cross fingers for me please)?

Thank you guys!

Teddy, thanks for the big up :D .. as for shampoos, I'm confused, I didn't think you'd had surgery already?

You feel like your using too much? I used the shampoo issued by the clinic issued and while at first I was worried about using too much (as its only a small bottle) I've only just finished it after 5 weeks. I used a small amount each time, maybe a dollop about the size of a 50p coin/50 cent coin.

With regards to how to shampoo I would definitely check with your clinic. Some don't recommend washing for the first few days, others like Asmed advise that you was it daily from the very next day. However generally the advice seems to be that you can be more vigorous with washing the donor area. I'll be tender tho so I wouldn't go too firm on the donor area until it's had a few days to heal. As noted above I used the shampoo provided until it run out, however the Clinic said I could go back to using regular shampoo and conditioner after about 2 weeks (forget the extract guidance) so some days (as my clinic shampoo was in my gym locker as I shower there each weekday) I used Johnsons baby shampoo, just because I knew it would be super gentle. I am now using my regular shampoo and conditioner which is Garnier Ultimate Blends.

Your clinic will give you very clear guidelines on how to care for your scalp/hair after your hair transplant, and I suggest following their instructions very closely. Unfortunately, there are as many ways to care for your scalp after a hair transplant as there are surgeons, so there's no universal rule to follow here. For that reason, it's always best to err on the side of caution and listen to your doctor (assuming they're reputable and knowledgeable).

As a point of reference, we instruct our patients to wash their scalp twice a day for the first 5 days using the shampoo and double sided sponge provided. The soft side of the sponge is used to gently dab (no scrubbing) suds onto the recipient area and let them soak for several minutes. The reverse side of the sponge has soft, plastic bristles that are used to scrub the donor area. This can be done more vigorously. Then rinse the suds away with a cup of water, making sure not to apply direct water pressure to the recipient area. To dry the recipient area, use a folded paper towel to very gently dab the area and remove the moisture.

The main thing you want to avoid is any rubbing/scratching/bumping of the recipient area - especially for the first 5 days. This is the most crucial part of the process in terms of the keeping the grafts safe and sound.

There are many variations on this process, so make sure to get clear instructions from your surgeon and ask them to clarify anything that doesn't make sense.

Best of luck!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I must say that I had already had surgery Jax but they explained stuff after the surgery and I was almost sleeping due to anestethic and pain.

Is it right to consider the grafts safe after 7 days? Can I wash my hair using a bit more strenght after that? Maybe let's say 10 days.

As usual, I'd like to thank you all for the advices and replies, I truly appreciate them.

Edited by Teddy

I must say that I had already had surgery Jax but they explained stuff after the surgery and I was almost sleeping due to anestethic and pain.

Is it right to consider the grafts safe after 7 days? Can I wash my hair using a bit more strenght after that? Maybe let's say 10 days.

As usual, I'd like to thank you all for the advices and replies, I truly appreciate them.

Based on the guidelines we give our patients, by 10 days you are free to wash your hair as your normally would.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56