Hair products post surgery?

So my clinic advises not to use hair products for 6 months post surgery. I will of course abide by what they say but curious as to the guidance from other clinics?

As I've always used some type of product (gel, creme, mousse, etc) the thought of not being able to us anything (particularly once it gets longer) stresses me a little so was wondering if I could combine any approved stuff like Aloe Vera and maybe some type of oil to create a solution that would act as a styling product? What you guys reckon, thoughts, ideas?

So my clinic advises not to use hair products for 6 months post surgery. I will of course abide by what they say but curious as to the guidance from other clinics?

As I've always used some type of product (gel, creme, mousse, etc) the thought of not being able to us anything (particularly once it gets longer) stresses me a little so was wondering if I could combine any approved stuff like Aloe Vera and maybe some type of oil to create a solution that would act as a styling product? What you guys reckon, thoughts, ideas?

Your clinic is being overly cautious.You should be able to use whatever hair product you want once you're a month post-op.

Hi Justlax,

I would probably go along with the clinics advice and not use any styling products for the first 6 months. It will probably be about 6 months before your hair is of sufficient length to apply these products anyway.

I've been following your story, everything looks good and you look like you're well on the way, I wish you the best of luck.

• Administrators

What is the justification of not using hair products for 6 months? can you ask your clinic Jax, I'm really interested to know, because as far as I'm aware growth depends on the quality of the extracted grafts, ensuring the grafts weren't damaged during implantation, and the grafts weren't damaged for the first 2 weeks.

Once the grafts have shed, which by 1 month the majority of the grafts will have shed, then the follicles are dormant, I don't see how a hair product would affect the follicle in any way. Furthermore, the area that is transplanted in your case is only the hairline, this area will remain bald for the next several months, how would putting hair care product in the (non-transplanted) part of the scalp affect your transplant? i'm very curious to know. Nevertheless, follow your clinics advice, but it would be helpful to get your clinics input and put it in this thread for others to read.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

As the others have said, while it's always best to follow your individual clinic's advice, I will say that I too think they're being way overly cautious here. It doesn't make any sense to me why they would make you wait that long.

If it's really a concern for you (which would be understandable), I would be interested to hear they're reasoning behind this and then see what data you can find to support their concerns.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Better safe than sorry! I don't even use gels anymore..Something tells me "Got2BeGlued" is part of the reason I got into this mess in the 1st place!! hahahaha

I'd recommend a light blow dry and still comb it. Works great for me.

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016

Finasteride daily, since 2014

Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)